Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Serenity

Serenity Active Member

nevermind. wrong thread!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

2. Mailman

Mailman New Member

Hello all!! I am new to the forum-and I just wanted to introduce myself-and ask a few questions.

I am a gay 35 year old man who has NO fashion sense whatsoever. After years of just wearing whatever, and just not caring, I decided I want to start dressing better. I am a man of somewhat modest means, I have a $200 a month clothing budget. Being that I usually shop for dress shirts, slacks, ties, etc at Macy's, Its what I can afford. I tend to like Kenneth Cole and Perry Ellis for dress shirts, and Dockers for slacks and pants. I did buy a Tasso Elba suit for an interview about a month ago and had it fitted. I had never worn a proper suit-and I was surprised how nice it felt. I was getting a LOT of comments about how nice I looked at work that day. This was an internal interview, and the interviewer commented how I was the only one who dressed appropriately. I do have a few questions, if you dint mind! [​IMG]

There is a NM Last Call outlet pretty close to me-and I have been checking out their shirts. Are the NM Brand dress shirts good quality? I usually wear a dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, slacks with slip ons for work. As much as the other guys in the mailroom make fun of me, ill keep dressing nice, and they can keep looking like sh*t. [​IMG] I have been getting a LOT of compliments the last few weeks since I started doing this.

Any other advice for me starting out? Its kind of exciting to me-I have enjoyed browsing and seeing whats out there. I have really enjoyed reading the threads here-and seeing the latest you guys have purchased. It has REALLY opened my eyes to whats out there.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

3. Empire II

Empire II New Member

My X braces are, but thanks! :)

4. sap23

sap23 New Member

Need help matching socks..........

I am going to a beach wedding this Friday. I am wearing a pink and white stripped shirt, blue pants, and brown sebago docksides. I need some help deciding what color socks to wear...Blue, brown, or pink?

Below are links to the shirt, pants, and shoes I am wearing.

Thanks!

shirt:

http://dutvunvtamfzh.cloudfront.net/...1338440192.jpg

pants:

http://t.express.com/com/scene7/s7d5/=/is/image/expressfashion/35_383_2885_810/i81?$dcat191$

shoes:

http://www.ubiqlife.com/Images/produ..._B73446_01.jpg

5. Crusty

Crusty New Member

Thumbs up or down? I am concerned about the shirt and tie combo. Not sure it is a good look or too busy. Thanks for your opinion!

[​IMG]

6. bnovc

bnovc Well-Known Member

Welcome to SF! :) They'll stop making fun of you soon and just get used to it; they're just thrown off and jealous. That happened to be at work for quite a while.

I don't own any shirts from NM, but they seem pretty nice (don't take my input for much though). I think I may just keep ordering shirts from ModernTailor.com, as I get really irritated with not finding anything in person that fits well.

7. E TF

E TF Senior member

How about no socks, seeing as you're on the beach?

8. E TF

E TF Senior member

Thumbs down. Too busy.

9. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

What's up with number 7 embroidered on almost all of Lino Ieluzzi's ties?

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Must be his favourite number..

It's mine too.

11. jslade

jslade Senior member

I have a quick question for you guys:

Do you think that it's acceptable to wear a suede belt with non-suede (regular leather) shoes? I have a nice suede belt that's been sitting in the closet for a while, but I haven't touched it yet, since I don't really own any suede shoes.

12. otc

otc Senior member

Do these look funny to you guys?

[​IMG]

I got these RL edric loafers in olive after somebody posted them in the PSA thread. The shoes seem to be beautifully made but when I look at them, the vamp seems so low/short that I am not sure how I could wear them.

I think they look a little better in the picture than when I look down at them so maybe its just a perspective thing and I think they look goofy/feminine on my feet but they actually look normal from someone elses's viewpoint?

Any input would be great...I have started overthinking this and thus I can't quite trust my own opinion.

13. poissa

poissa Senior member

I am looking to get a pair of FU pants (bold in pattern - not necessarily color), so could be plaid, windowpane, or something else, haven't thought too much about the pattern. I would want the FU component to pair with a navy sportcoat. Do any of our forum sponsors make some such RTW?

14. DarkNalel

DarkNalel New Member

Hey guys,

Long time lurker here, finally took the plunge. So right to the chase, I've got the opportunity of picking up a Gray Label Charcoalish Gray colour H&M Suit in 36R (which is my size) and 30 pants (which apparently from what I can discern from other threads fit like a 28)(this is also my size) for $170. OR I can get a Black Label Navy Suit in 36R and size 32 pants for $80. I'll be taking it to a tailor to hem the pants and arms and tighten the waist and what not either way.

My question is would the Black label deal be worth it if they had to reduce the pant size by so much? I mean will the tailoring cost of the pants outweigh the price-break?

Look forward to becoming more active on here!

Thanks,

Allen

15. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

Would letting out the seat get rid of these lines?
    [​IMG]