• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

AE7

Reaction score
Two questions regarding one jacket in the Yoox sample sale section:

1. Sample sale now refers to the Fall-Winter (current merchandise) or the Spring-Summer (past merchandise) season?

2. If jacket is half wool/ half cotton, to which season it belongs (if there is anyway to tell, of course)?

Thanks!

Red Rising

Reaction score
First time poster. Style Forum can be a really intimidating place...

I have a deconstructed unlined sportcoat that I just had a tailor open up the sleeve buttons on. Is there a proper form to rolling or folding up the sleeves on the jacket for a casual look? I've seen it on some blogs, just wondering how to replicate it. I can take pictures with my jacket if need be.

Thanks!

Tommy6669

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good thin, hooded jacket or sweater recommendations? For example, an American Apparel sweater would be too thick, but something thicker than their plastic rain jackets.

If they fit slim, that's always a plus =]

bnovc

Reaction score
I would agree with Gibonius,

Anything less than $10 I would say would get you a very poorly weaved tie, and you wouldn't even know if its silk. For all you know, it could be polyester or microfibre. Tie Bar does decent ties for $15, they should last you a while and if GQ endorses them, you know that they're at least made of the silk they say they are made from. Plus, you never know when you may want to use the tie again. Go for a blue tie, chances are, you'll be able to use it more than once.

I had forgotten about The Tie Bar despite it being mentioned on here a lot. That seems like a great choice!

Would http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page..._Ties.asp&pg=0&categoryIds=72&optionValueIds= be a good one to go with then? It seems pretty standard.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

bnovc

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here. I didn't want to be a bother and open a new thread, but I have a few questions.
I bought this navy blazer yesterday for $10. I was thinking about wearing it to go out to dinner with the girlfriend or something more on the casual side. I’m in in my early 20’s. I’m still working on my wardrobe.
I plan on getting a better blazer when I can afford one.

My questions are:
First off all, is this blazer too short? If so, should I get rid of it? It was just $10 bucks.
As said, I’m thinking about wearing more casually to go out to dinner with this pair of jeans, does it look ok?
Should I wear a dress shirt and dress shoes, or sneakers and a polo shirt?

Here are two pictures to illustrate:

With dress shirt and dress shoes:

With polo shirt and sneakers:

Thank you.

There are certainly a lot more knowledgeable people here than me, but here's my thoughts:

I think that your jacket is too short, so it looks very peculiar with your polo. This is a little bit better with your dress shirt, but I think your dress shirt is also too short. It seems like your jacket may be too wide around your waist/hips; it seems to flare out a bit. Perhaps adding a picture with it buttoned would help. Your jacket should rest in your hands when they are cuffed hanging down and is probably a bit too short there also.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tommy6669

Reaction score
I would go with the polo and sneakers. The jacket looks pretty good, personally I don't find the sleeves too short. Better short than long anyways!

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jos A Bank is having a 70% off sale that ends today, how is the construction of their items? Would it be worth investing in?

JAB dress shirts v RLPL

JAB trousers v Howard Yount

Sport Coats (in general)

shoes

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score

Jos A Bank is having a 70% off sale that ends today, how is the construction of their items? Would it be worth investing in?
JAB dress shirts v RLPL
JAB trousers v Howard Yount
Sport Coats (in general)
shoes

JAB quality is quite low - all machine made in low cost countries by the lowest bidder. JAB shirts wouldn't compare to RLPL. The only shirt from JAB you might consider is a signature gold, but they are going to fit similar to a BB regular fit.

NEVER EVER BUY JAB SHOES.

mrpo0nani

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what season this isaia navy blazer is from?
1dw8w.jpg

It's a cotton cashmere blend 85/15.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a good choice for a black tow tie to wear to my wedding? It has a little bit of a pattern, but I figure it shouldn't be noticeable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BA09-Pure-B...094551250?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item3a7666cad2

If you don't think so, suggestions on another bow tie to get? Preferably something pretty inexpensive like this.
For a cheaper but still decent alternative, try one from http://www.ties-necktie.com/ :
Satin: http://www.ties-necktie.com/black-self-tied-silk-bow-tie-p-16915.html
Faille/grosgrain: http://www.ties-necktie.com/black-ribbed-self-tied-bow-tie-p-16914.html

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new here. I didn't want to be a bother and open a new thread, but I have a few questions.
I bought this navy blazer yesterday for $10. I was thinking about wearing it to go out to dinner with the girlfriend or something more on the casual side. I’m in in my early 20’s. I’m still working on my wardrobe.
I plan on getting a better blazer when I can afford one.

My questions are:
First off all, is this blazer too short? If so, should I get rid of it? It was just $10 bucks.
As said, I’m thinking about wearing more casually to go out to dinner with this pair of jeans, does it look ok?
Should I wear a dress shirt and dress shoes, or sneakers and a polo shirt?

Here are two pictures to illustrate:

With dress shirt and dress shoes:

With polo shirt and sneakers:

Thank you.
I agree with the other posters that it looks better with the long-sleeve shirt. Otherwise, the jacket sleeves look too short. It is probably a little on the short side, but that is somewhat trendy right now. Since you are wearing it for a night out with jeans, you are fine. I probably wouldn't wear it to work.

Gneisenau

Reaction score
Having bought a navy 50/50 blend of wool and mohair sport coat intended for use during the summer I know find myself in a predicament. I don't know what to go for in terms of pants! Fabric that is, ordinary cotton? Linen? Cotton-linen blend? Wool? What goes best with a wool-mohair blend? Any other suggestions?

Edit: I'm going for something relaxed and Italian.

Last edited:

RicPac

Reaction score
i know its a bit early but can anybody tell me where i can pick up a good cashmere scarf and also maybe a university scarf??? also where is top quality cashmere made?

Dark Knot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads