1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. rudals1281

rudals1281 Well-Known Member

That's a brilliant idea!!!
    But seriously, I understand it won't stay still because it is silk but thought I just ask in case someone knew of a good way to keep it still. I am a 38R and I use the same pocket square on all my jackets so it aint the jacket, it aint the fold, it's just that it is silk. At least it doesn't fall in when I am wearing it.

2. NotCreative

NotCreative Active Member

So far I've been wearing this shirt with a navy tie, but I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for ties that would go with it?

[​IMG]

Thanks.

3. redboat

redboat Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. redboat

redboat Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. sheeeepo

sheeeepo Active Member

I'm looking for a plain baseball cap, preferably gray/charcoal. Where can I find a decent one with no branding at all?

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

If you're dead set on wearing a baseball cap, consider wearing a retro cap, like the kind available from Ebbets Field Flannels (http://www.ebbets.com/category/Ballcaps/a, among other places. While they are all branded, on some the branding is pretty subtle. The cap for the 1923 Sacramento Senators, for example, is grey, and the branding is both low key, and for an entity (the Senators) which hasn't even existed in decades.

Personally, I don't really care much for baseball caps, although I'll allow as how they have their place (chiefly, as part of a baseball uniform). I have nothing against wearing something on my head, to protect my scalp from the sun's rays during the summer, though - particularly as my hair thins with the passing of the years. Last summer, I got pretty good wear out of a Havana-style Cuenca hat (from http://www.panamahatsdirect.com).

Not trying to convince you to adopt similar headgear, mind you. Although I hope that if you stick with a ball cap, you'll at least avoid those horrible one-size-fits-all versions, with the plastic adjustment tab in back. And that you won't wear your cap backwards, which is a practice just too asinine for words.

[​IMG]

7. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Well-Known Member

Looks suspiciously similar to the cardigan from Ring Jacket that Alan from The Armoury is wearing:

[​IMG]

http://lnsee.tumblr.com/image/38027988713

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Get out, both of you. Go on, OUT!

9. breadan

breadan Member

Definitely get navy first. If you search for "black suits", you'll get many heated discussions, but the prevailing opinion will be to just don't do that.

You didn't write where you are located, but take a look at the recommendations above (Suitsupply and the suit quality thread for options). How fast do you need your suit? It is always risky to recommend a new operation like that when there is no previous experience. IMHO, a safer and faster option would be to just get a decent RTW first, especially if you are not a difficult body type to fit - you can see what you are getting. Once you already have your first suit, you will be in better position to experiment with custom operations like that.

10. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Does anybody know who makes Piombo jackets?

11. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Edit: 99% sure it's Lardini

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. Irish

Irish Well-Known Member

13. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

Funny.

Try street wear forum.

14. PSlip

PSlip New Member

I recently got a pair of Elgins listed as a salesman sample from an Allen Edmonds outlet store for $80. I had come in to get the tan McTavish as a casual shoe but preferred the styling and the pricing of the Elgin. Before wearing, I decided to follow AE's recommendation for cleaning and applied AE conditioner/cleaner. Some patches of the leather on one of the shoes darkened significantly, almost as if they were treated differently than the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I emailed AE, and they told me that the conditioner will work its way out of the shoe over time, allowing the shoes to lighten. This may be the case, but it feels wrong since the lighter parts of the shoes retain that color regardess of how much conditioner is applied. A week later, the shoes show no sign of significant lightening. I went to a few places locally, and the proprietors said that they couldn't do anything to make the color uniform. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Exactly. They're even wearing cargo pants in the WAYWRN thread these days. Maybe a new "No Really, Just Classic Menswear" section is needed...

16. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

Where do you all source your slim fitted OCBDs? I see them on the Brooks Bros website for $80-90 but are there any other brands I should be looking at?

17. Irish

Irish Well-Known Member

Understood. Mine was an accident -- I thought I was in the other forum. I'm an old man, I'm confused!

18. eqcitizen

eqcitizen Well-Known Member

All depends on what you want to spend. These guys just did one hell of exhausted review on OCBDs

http://putthison.com/tagged/Oxford-Cloth-Button-Downs

19. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

Skip this if you are not interested in minutiae of shirt measurement.

Now and then I am asked to measure a shirt like we measure a suit; shoulder seam to shoulder seam, and shoulder seam to end of sleeve. I have already provided actual collar and sleeve measurements (measured the traditional way) and usually have provided P2P. In my experience, if a shirt has the correct neck-sleeve size for me then the shoulder seam falls at the right spot. That is 100% of the time.

I know that the shoulder seam to end of sleeve measurement is unnecessary. If the sleeve length in the collar-sleeve size format is your sleeve length then the end of the sleeve will be in the right place at your wrist.

The question is whether the shoulder seam to shoulder seam measurement is of any use to anyone. Do any of you find that some OTR shirts which are of the correct size (collar-sleeve actual measurements) actually do not fit you because the shoulder seam to shoulder seam width is too wide or too narrow?

20. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

Thank you eqcitizen. That's a great resource. I was hoping for something at or below the price point of the Brooks Bros. It seems as if the Land's End shirts are fairly decent for the price. If the BBs go on sale for $50 as the author of that website claims, it might be best to just wait for a sale and buy a few at that time.