Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. SlimJohny

SlimJohny Active Member

Hey kludi, I had the same problem too - bought a suede drivers Hugo Boss and found out that they are too big. I did put a leather pads in the shoes and it is much better now. They are still a bit big, but it is a partial solution. It is also possible to buy heel grips that can reduce the space between the shoe and the heel, so you can try it aswell. Hope it helps.

2. denm bar

denm bar Active Member

i say if you're aiming for subtle, first pair. Aiming to stand out a bit, 2nd pair. Both look nice, imo 1st pair easier to match with chinos

3. LokStock

LokStock Member

First post, so be prepared for a noob question.

I have heard that in matching trousers with blazers/sport coats it is best to have the jacket be darker than the trousers.

I am trying to match a light grey and/or beige linen blazer with some trousers but don't want the pants to be even lighter than the jacket since those are already very light in colour, what are my options?

4. Zaeon

Zaeon Member

I recently purchased a leather jacket online and I need your eyes and opinions to help me decide whether I should keep it or continue looking. I bought two different sizes and the other one (not pictured) is too drapey on my arms and shoulders.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am undecided whether to keep it or not because the fit is kinda tight when zipped close and I am worried that it might not be too comfy to layer with items thicker than tees. (though I read somewhere that leather jackets stretch a little over time with wear (?)).

Should I keep this one or not?

5. SlimJohny

SlimJohny Active Member

Too tight IMHO. It must be very uncomfortable. I would definitely go with one size bigger. That way you will be able to wear sweater/etc. under it.

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It's a general rule, to which there are exceptions, not an inviolate law of the universe. By all means, feel free to wear pants darker than your light-colored jacket. I have a camel-colored jacket which I routinely wear with dark pants.
    --
    Michael

7. MTB-85

MTB-85 Well-Known Member

Maybe this linen square
    [​IMG]

will put the eye more at ease - leaving the blue only a tiny bit in the bow tie and the suit itself....??

But my noob-ish mind doubts that silk bow tie and linen PS will be suitable for a groom... too casual no??

8. Squiddly

Squiddly Member

OK, everything I can find says that Oxfords have the lace flap sewn under the vamp, with the bottom of the flap sewn, and that Derby's have the lace flap sewn over the vamp with the bottom of the flap unsewn. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_shoes and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_shoe. The Derby page even says that Derby's are sometimes called bucks. Yet I see shoes all over the place, like these bucks I just bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004X9HA1G/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00, which are clearly Derby's by that definition and yet are advertised as Oxfords. What gives?

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

We really need a style forum 101 entry for this. Oxford/derby are British terms. The equivalent US terms are Balmoral/blucher. In the US, Oxford simply means lace-up as opposed to loafer.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

MTB-85... I like everything except the belt.... far too casual.

11. kludi

kludi Member

Thanks alot SlimJohny, I have considered those options but I would prefer if I could actually shrink the shoe without causing any damage to it. Putting insoles/heel grips would only serve to expand the shoes in the long run?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

12. SlimJohny

SlimJohny Active Member

I am not sure if it is possible to shrink the shoes without risking doing a permament damage. You are right that the shoes could expand ever further if you would put the insoles/heel grips in the shoes, but I did put the insoles in, worn the shoes every day for about a month and did not notice any expansion.
    I would reccomend you going to some shoemaker in your area and asked him, if it is possible to make the shoes smaller - I think that the construction of the suede loafers is not complicated and it would be possible to re-cut the shoes, but that is just my guess and it will be best just to ask a skilled shoemaker. If this does not work, try the insoles (which should not expand your shoe) and as a last option try the heel grips.
    Hope it helps and good luck!

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Who are the shoes made by?

14. kludi

kludi Member

Bruno Magli - suede loafers

15. vaulter1

vaulter1 Active Member

@Stone34 my 2c is if you like the fit and don't mind the price then go for it. I think most of the hate/dislike for Boss on SF is actually the apparent lack of value for money. Most people will steer you towards other brands that can be had for the same or less and give a 'better' made suit (Polo Ralph Lauren springs to mind). Personally, I own 4 boss suits and 2 sportcoats, am wearing a blue pinstripe Selection label one today, and have only good things to say about them. Maybe when funds allow I'll jump into a 'higher' bracket and search for a similar cut but for now they're perfect for my 4 days a week in a suit and tie. Bear in mind, I have taken the somewhat cheaper approach and only one of them was purchased near full price at a B&M - the others were either new or gently used off of eBay and the B&S here - which you may want to look at if time isn't a big factor.

Hope that helps and good luck with the hunt.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012