1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Thanks, the plan was to leave it alone. Just wanted to make sure. This is my first expensive suit!

2. tb43

tb43 Senior member

Are there any AE Norwich owners out there who actually like them? I see so many negative reviews about them but I really want to purchase the burnished brown version.

Thanks!

3. JohnnyGalt

JohnnyGalt Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, when you say to brush "every once in a while", how often do you mean? Every other wear? Every 2-3 wears? Once a month? Less?

I guess as a follow up I would also ask how often should you be getting your suits dry cleaned?

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Whenever. There's no science to it, it just gets dust and whatever else is lodged in the fibers out. Every few wears, once a month, whatever you feel like. Get a horsehair brush- you can get expensive ones if you want, but something like your standard kiwi shoe brush works fine (but not the same one you use for your shoes, unless you want polish on your suit!)

As for dry cleaning, I dry clean on pretty much an as needed basis right now, since my current job doesn't have me wearing suits daily, though I often wear a sportcoat. A lot of people do it when they're changing their wardrobe over for the season, or just once or twice a year. As needed means after you sweat through the lining, or get a stain. Basically, if the suit doesn't look like it needs a cleaning, it probably doesn't. Wool is really a wonderful material.

5. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

What colors/patterns of suits/jackets and shirts match with these two Salvatore ties?

[​IMG]

6. johnlocke

johnlocke Member

I had an online MTM suit done and asked for a 3-roll-2 button. What I received back was a 2-button. The suit maker (who's based elsewhere) said to take it to my local tailor who could turn it into a 3-roll-2, and the suit maker would reimburse me. My question is, is it really as easy as a tailor adding an extra buttonhole and button to the lapel of a 2-button jacket to turn it into a 3-roll-2? I thought that might mess up the construction of the lapel. Can any 2-button suit be easily turned into a 3-roll-2?

Mods, if this should be posted in the tailors thread, please let me know. Thanks!

7. eqcitizen

eqcitizen Well-Known Member

You can match them with most solid shirts and suits. For example: navy suits and white shirts are fine, as will charcoal grey and light blue shirts. Striped suits would probably work if the stripes if the stripes are spaces far enough apart. With such busy patterned ties, just shy away from busy patterns in anything else (including pocket squares) and you should be fine.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. DrZeus

DrZeus Active Member

How do you guys clean a rubber bristled suede crepe brush?

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

You cannot turn a 2-button into a real 3-roll-2. Sure, you can get someone to add a 3rd button and button hole, but you are missing the "roll" portion. You can't add the roll to the lapel after the fact. Now, it is certainly possible that your suit maker was never really going to have the roll in the lapel anyway.

Unless you desperately want a 3-roll-2, I would just leave it as a 2-button and maybe ask for a partial refund.

10. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Eh? If it were currently a 3-button that would make sense. But if it's a 2-button to start with then it already rolls to the second button, there's nothing about the roll that needs to be changed. The only difference I could think of would be that normally there would be some reinforcement piece attached to the canvas where the button and button-hole are to be placed, to strengthen the area, but missing this shouldn't be too much of a problem if the button is not going to actually be functional.

11. johnlocke

johnlocke Member

I'm 99% sure the lapel on my 2-button suit already has a "roll" above the second/top button -- ie, the lapel is not really creased flat above the top button, it just naturally rolls over. (I think that's what you're referring to when you say "roll," correct?) In that case, wouldn't adding a third button on that already existing roll result in a true 3-roll-2? I can include a photo of the jacket (when I get home from work this afternoon) if it helps.

12. johnlocke

johnlocke Member

Thanks for your reply -- that was my thought as well (sorry, I replied to msulinski's post before I saw yours). This is a 2-button jacket, so there already is a roll above the second button, it's not creased flat or anything.

13. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

1 person likes this.
  14. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

Thanks guys!

15. Flokk

Flokk Active Member

I just ordered virtually the same suit in a 44L. Difference being I got the Classico model, which according to Colleen: "The Classico and Granoro models are pretty much the same, with the Classico having just a slightly tighter neck/collar of the jacket, and slightly more forgiving trousers in the waist/seat/hips. Most people would barely tell the difference between the two models, especially the jackets."

Note that the navy in these suits is practically a black. I'm the furthest thing from an expert, but can't see anything other than black shoes working with it for interviews/formal settings.

Also the slim fit is indeed slim. I'm like you, a new suit shopper, so can't speak to the quality...but I've tried on lots of junk from MW during my community college days, and lots of JAB and BB in recent weeks. This Benjamin feels like a million bucks in terms of comparative quality. Not that I have much basis for comparison. :)

16. eith

eith Member

What types / color shirts go well with this suit? Shoe options black? or any other colors?

Thanks,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. acecow

acecow Senior member

This is a very versatile color. Almost any color will work. Brown or black shoes. White, blue, pink shirts.

Edit: I'd stick to solid shirts for now. And maybe a solid or polka dot tie. That way it will be a sure fire combination.

18. eith

eith Member

Thanks, forgot to add, i don't wear ties as i'd be the only one in my industry. Below is my shoe collection and a few shirts. I have a solid white as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. acecow

acecow Senior member

I think all of that could work. The shirts' patterns are fine enough. The least acceptable part of your wardrobe would be the loafers. I'd probably skip wearing those with this suit, or any other suit in general, unless it's a white cotton or linen suit.

20. eith

eith Member

Many thanks, the loafers usually only wear with tan slacks..