1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

We are each entitled to our own opinions:). That's what makes this forum great

2. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Hi guys,
    First time poster with some shoe questions.

I'm taking the dive to kit out a real wardrobe as I just graduated. Unfortunately i live in Australia (an not even on the East coast) so I have literally nowhere to shop except online. Is there any feasible way to figure out what size/last I should be for European shoes? I am hoping to pick up some Vass.
    So far all I have is a pair of AE Cliftons I got on holiday last year but I'm not sure they even fit properly. It seems my feet are slightly different widths.
    So anyhow my quick questions are...

1. how can I work out what size/last works for me without being able to try on anything?
    2. Can you get MTO shoes in 2 different sizes? or would that require going bespoke?
    3. Can any Aussies point out the best place to order Vass shoes that ships to us?
    4. Is there anything wrong with dark brown wholecuts? (I've been thinking of going for this but i haven't seen a single pair pictured anywhere so I'm a little worried this may be some kind of mistake and they'd turn out awful).

cheers

3. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Definitely. It's on the formal side, but youre already pretty formal with a solid navy suit and white shirt.

5. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Completely agree with you here. Its on the formal side, but can definitely work!

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Do hugo boss or ralph lauren have big sales for their suits? And if so, how often? (was asking because I need suit pants)

7. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

8. Ndure

Ndure Senior member

I wear 8M i my sebago Docksides. Considering buying a pair of Sperrys. How is the Sperry A/O compared to docksides in size?

9. decogeo

decogeo Active Member

I have these shoes that I bought years ago with a fairly long split toe. Do the proportions look odd to you ?
    [​IMG]

10. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

11. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Ralph lauren - depends. Ive not seen black labels go on sale. But other labels do
    Boss - if u r going to be spending some $800+ then might as well go to Brooks bros cus they have sales now and plus Boss is...not well regarded around here for many reasons

12. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I'm selling my RL purple label suit right now

13. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

Is there a beginners' guide to shoecare that you guys would recommend? I've recently gotten my first pairs of decent shoes (Church's, Aldens, Tricker's, that kind of stuff) and I'm pretty clueless as far as what I should do. I hear words like Saphir and Venetian cream thrown around a lot but don't know what should be used for what, etc.

14. acecow

acecow Senior member

The simplest way to care for your shoes is to buy a slightly darker shade of cream polish from Saphir if you need to cover any scoffs or marks, or just use the clear one if you just want a polish. You can order them from Ron's store, he has most excellent customer service. http://www.riderbootshop.com/
    You can buy a cleaner from there too, or use the re-branded one from Allen Edmonds. They used to have free shipping there. Also, buy a brush for brown polish and brush for black polish. I also have one for clear polish, but I'm OCD like that. You don't need to buy polishing cloth, just use an old t-shirt.
    Take out the laces. Wipe the shoes with a damp towel. Let it dry. Apply the cleaner and conditioner. Let it dry. Apply a little bit of Saphir cream. Let it dry for 5 minutes. Brush vigorously with an appropriate brush. Finish off with an old t-shirt. Brush before wearing.

If you want to go really hardcore, then you can apply a layer of wax afterwards. There's a lot of youtube tutorials on that. I seldom do that lately, and the shine is still good enough.

Hope that helps.

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Wait, if you can't wear a glen-plaid wedding tie with a navy suit and white shirt, what can you wear it with?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PiCcolocV [​IMG]
    My answer is no. You need something more stronger in color. That tie may be better complement a different shirt color and not white.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  16. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Quick question on when you get your suit cleaned:

I just went to an interview, and in the 15min walk to the building, it rained a decent amount. I had an umbrella, but a fair amount of water still hit my sleeves and bottom of my pants.

For the most part, it seemed to just bead up and wipe off with paper towels once I got there.

Should I take this to the dry cleaners, or not worry about it since it was just water? (Not sure how dirty rain is. This was in NYC).

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It's water. Wool is not some ultra super delicate material that will be irreparably damaged by water, even if said water was not perfectly pure. Dry cleaning is actually a somewhat harsh process, and should be used sparingly. Wool repels a lot of crap, and is anti microbial, so it doesn't need it often- your primary mode of cleaning should be brushing every once in a while.

18. MuteWitness

MuteWitness New Member

I found answers to similar questions, but they were more focused on the waist so I was hoping someone could give me a more specific answer. I found a suit that I like but they don't make the in between size I need for my pants. I'm generally a 33x30. The store has a 32x30 and the pants (slim cut) fit well through the legs and on the waist, but are too tight in the crotch and seat. The 34x30 on the other hand looks too baggy on me. What would give me better results? Buying the 32x30 and having a tailor let it out where needed or buying the 34x30 and having the tailor take it in where needed?

19. FormalNormal

FormalNormal New Member

When wearing suspenders with a shirt that has epaulettes, is it correct to put the suspenders under, or over the epaulettes?