1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. acecow

acecow Senior member

Not in the classical Men's Wear subdivision of the forum. But if you're young and fit, then sure, it will look cool. If everything fits.

2. eqcitizen

eqcitizen Well-Known Member

Depending on the season, I would look for a linen unstructured sport coat, quarter lined (if this is for spring/summer/early fall) or something in cotton. I get this from what you would want to pair it. Check out Gant (http://us.gant.com/men/clothing/blazers), brooks brothers (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regen...var_MM00195_Color=LTBR&contentpos=4&cgid=0217 or http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzg...var_MM00193_Color=LTBR&contentpos=1&cgid=0217), or JPress.

1 person likes this.
  3. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

4. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Frankly, I would go for something lighter, because the contrast would be too strong with the color and the difference in texture

5. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

I AM HAVING A BAD TIE DAY! Ignore the knot, just tell me the shirt and the tie combo. I think this tie is just butt ugly!!!![​IMG]

6. E TF

E TF Senior member

You are correct.

2 people like this.
  7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yep, it's ugly.

2 people like this.
  8. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Tie is ugly...looks like a candy cane

2 people like this.
  9. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

I would like to shoot myself! WHY?! Because it was a gift and she paid $200!!!!! This is like the ugliest tie I've ever seen in my life!!!!

10. eqcitizen

eqcitizen Well-Known Member

can you return it?

11. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

....no....I can't think of anyone who'd make that look good. LML

12. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Problem solved...courtesy of EXPRESS (free courtesy of my co-worker)

[​IMG]

13. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

Anyone have experience with Arfango Firenze? Found some a great deal (70% off) on their loafers but I'm curious about their quality since this brand was not mentioned much on SF.

14. Aeren

Aeren Active Member

Hello everyone,is a letter's embroid solid tie ok for business?

15. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

lol wtf
    what brand is that ugly tie? $200???

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kiton has some ugly ties.

(I own one [​IMG])

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  17. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

First time poster here.

I found a perfect condition Oxxford sport coat at a thrift store recently. It's part of their Crittenden Collection, made for Wilkes Bashford. The only problem is that I'm a 42L and the sport coat is 44L, so it seems a little big. Having a sweater underneath helps a little bit but I can't shake off the feeling that it is, indeed, a little big, especially at the chest and maybe half an inch or so at the shoulder. Also seems a little long, but when I measured the length it seems no longer than my other sportcoats. The question is, can it be 'fixed' by a tailor? Is it worth it? I'm sure many here can relate to it, but I just found it hard to leave the jacket behind.

Thanks!

18. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Reosymes, no matter how handsome it may be, or how great a bargain its price, if a sport coat or suit jacket doesn't fit, I pass on it. Because, ultimately, proper fit trumps all.

Sure, a size 44 could be "fixed" to fit a size 42 person. But to do it well would involve a fair amount of money, and finding a tailor more skilled than most. ("Most" are good enough to cuff pants or shorten sleeves. This is a whole 'nother matter.) And even then, it's just not likely to be worth it.

If the sport coat's that great, buy it and put it up for sale on eBay. In your listing, emphasize its perfect condition and so forth. Then take whatever profit you made off of it, and buy yourself a sport coat that's your correct size, and one which doesn't seem a little long. 42L is a common size; you'll have no difficulty finding plenty of wonderful previously owned sport coats that fit you.

19. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

do you already have a competent tailor that you work with? the tailor will be the best person to ask
    i have a good alteration tailor that i have been working with for 2.5 years now and he knows how i like my jacket and pants to fit
    and he tells me whether something is possible for him or not
    and whether he is confident about the results

20. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

I've never had anything done from a tailor beyond hemming pants. I'll do a search on the forums for tailors in my area (Orange county). I'm in no hurry, though. Don't need to wear this any time soon (finishing grad school in an year or so).