1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

What material pants is acceptable to wear with a linen sportscoat?

2. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Senior member

Saw this cotton PRL jacket on ebay - sadly it has a stain. I asked the seller, but he doesn't know what the stain is from [​IMG] jacket hasn't been dry cleaned and seller has made no attempts to remove the stain. You guys think it could be removed?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Unvented sport coat,
    Go/No go?

Attolini one, in my exact measurements.

Also wondering whether it is as uncomfortable as so many claim, or not!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Your preference. I'd say no though. The only think I like unvented are tuxedos.

1 person likes this.
  5. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I'm not trying to be rude, but what else could possibly be affected by changing the length of sleeves?
    The only thing I can think of is cuff buttons on a jacket, and perhaps gauntlets on a shirt, but every tailor knows how to reset gauntlets and cuffs.

6. acecow

acecow Senior member

Shortening shirt sleeves is not easy. As for a jacket, if it has working buttonholes it is even more difficult.

1 person likes this.
  7. acecow

acecow Senior member

I have one, it's fine. If it fits - it fits.

8. bartleby929

bartleby929 Senior member

anyone else get a coupon that says 40% off one item at bb? some exclusions apply (MTM suits + cordovan shoes) but no exclusions for black fleece, etc.. might get a Cambridge suit

9. AmericanGent

I was thinking of OTR coats with decorative buttons and OTR shirts. I was not thinking bespoke because there would be no need to shorten a bespoke sleeve.

As for the process, I'm sure it it is labor intensive, but the difficulty of the task aside, I still don't know how shortening sleeves would change the rest of a garment. The OP wanted to know if the sleeves could be shortened and the rest left the same.
    Again, It is not my intention to be rude, but I can't think of any possible way shortening a sleeve would alter any part of a garment except said sleeve.

10. acecow

acecow Senior member

Some OTR brands (my personal favorite Boglioli comes to mind) mostly come with surgeon's cuffs. Shortening them significantly could require removing the sleeves and extra material, then re-attaching them, effectively re-making the armhole and lowering the shoulder. Although it is highly unlikely, it is still a possibility. Same for a shirt, really.

I'm not trying to be a dick, rather pointing out to the original poster who asked the question that shortening the sleeves (and he didn't specify whether it was a shirt or a jacket) can be sometimes not worth the effort or money. In fact, the only time I'd do it would be when it's a simple jacket sleeve or a very minor shortening of a sleeve with functioning button-holes.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The curve of the arm as well as fullness in the upper arm and such.

1 person likes this.
  12. AmericanGent

Both are good points. I have never had the occasion to shorten a garment to that extreme, but I am sure it has been done. I suspect that the OP has picked up a shirt or jacket that is too long and wants to do a typical sleeve job. In this case I don't think the rest of the garment will be affected.

So Feeliplee - if you're talking a minor 1 inch alteration- no problem. If you have arms like a T-Rex, you may have a problem with your shirt/jacket and also with wiping your ass.

Cheers.

13. NotCreative

NotCreative Active Member

I presume this is the worst question ever asked here and I'm sure I already know the answer, but I was at a store recently (Harry Rosen to be specific) and while trying on a shirt that was too tight in the chest, the sales associate remarked that the shirt can be 'taken out' so to speak or expanded in the chest to make it larger. Is this possible, as I cannot see how it could be done?

1 person likes this.
  14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The salesdope is wrong. You can't create fabric where there is none. Take in, yes. Let out? Not so much.

15. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Some shirts are made slimmer by a seam or two where fabric is taken in from the maker in the back. If so, you can easily open these to let out the fabric. Did so myself on a couple of corneliani shirts I got on sale

16. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Sorry for double post

17. NotCreative

NotCreative Active Member

Thanks, that's what I thought. I would've loved to see them try however....

Hmmm... I did not check if there was such a thing on this shirt. That could very well be possible.

18. Whirlygig

Whirlygig Member

I'm looking at a blazer on ebay and I have a quick fit question. If my shoulders measure 19.5 inches what size measurement should I be looking at for the jacket? Same size or bigger? Do I need to allow for some extra room?

I used to shopping in person where i focus on the chest size and then try on for fit.

19. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

why not just measure a jacket you have that fits?

20. sanchito

sanchito Well-Known Member

Local tailor/shirtmaker Bendls makes bespoke shirts for $115 for the lowest quality cost cloth he has available (oxford style) and goes up incrementally from there with a simple dress shirt priced at $135...it's a three shirt minimum...my questions is this, am I paying a premium because if his location (La Jolla) or is this pricing in line for a local bespoke shirt maker?

Thanks.