Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

The Brothers Brooks have them starting at $135.

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Try Charles Tyrwhitt on Madison or 7th Ave. They stock the marcella wing-collar slim fit shirt. I believe it is on sale now for $80.

3. dveca

dveca New Member

Thanks for the tips, I didn't think Century 21 would have them, but after trying to go to the Brooks Brothers at Zucotti Park and seeing it was closed due to Police activity (the perks of working near the WTC construction site), but they had a small stack of nothing but formal shirts clearly labeled with size and cuff style.

Ended up getting an YSL flat front woven cotton shirt for about $80.00 though they had everything ranging from Calvin Klein for ~$25.00 to Theory for ~50.00

4. gooter

gooter Senior member

I have only just started a job where I wear a suit daily, so I am learning as I go. I only have 3 pairs of shoes right now: walnut, black, and burgundy and I am always questioning which is appropriate for the suit I happen to be wearing that day. I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseam, so is there a thread/article/post that will help explain how to best match my shoe colour with my various suits? Thanks in advance!

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You could look at the WAYWRN thread to see what people do, but generally darket trousers should get darker shoes. Black goes with pretty much everything and arguably so does burgundy, however I find that burgundy calf leather tends to look bad and cheap. Burgundy shell cordovan looks much better.

6. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

are monogrammed bespoke shirts passé?

7. patrickBOOTH

Depends on where they are monogrammed. If it is discrete and only you see it 99% of the time that is fine, but on cuffs is horrible.

8. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

tan, baby! push that dress-down friday... Be the outlier..... You know you can......

9. patrickBOOTH

Don't put that bullshit in his head.

10. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

They're even worse on the shirt's pocket. (And the fact that some people don't even think a dress shirt should have a pocket, really isn't the point here.)

I suppose having the back of the collar monogrammed - where it won't be seen, since the collar is normally flipped down - might not be objectionable. It serves little real purpose, but it probably does no harm. Same for the somewhat more common location, on the lower left shirt tail.
    --
    Michael

11. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

several of my students wear them midway between waist and pocket position. Kinda in your faccia. My eyes just involuntarily wander to it. Too overt, I'd say. Cuff seems subtle enough.

12. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

If I don't want a "break" at the bottom of my trousers and I want the most coverage possible, is my tailor suppose to slant them hem?

I'm not sure about terminology, sorry if it's confusing.

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I think "angled hem" or something is the correct terminology, but you can use terminology like that and your tailor will understand it.

And yeah, that's a common enough option. I don't prefer it myself, but go for it.

14. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

:slayer: Cheers, didn't want to send them back because they are rather nice.

15. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

Which is more better brand for dress shirts and neckties? Brooks Brothers or Turnbull & Asser? They have stores in NYC of course!

And tell me why?