1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

xDUDERx,
    First, hello and welcome to the forum. This is the Classic Menswear thread, there is also a Streetwear&Denim thread. You might find more answers to this question if you try posting it over on that side.
    Second, the amount the wallet will protrude from the back pocket will depend on a number of variables. (e.g. how large is the person, what brand and style of pants or jeans). It will be unlikely that someone can answer that unless they have the same wallet, wear the same pants and are of the same stature as you.

Good luck!

2. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Got it, thanks. I was hoping there would be some brilliant solution, but it sounds like I should probably switch to lace-ups. Any recommendations for plain-toe bluchers in a brown/tan/burgundy shade that's on the more casual end of the spectrum (i.e., I won't look like a tool wearing them with slim dark denim)?

I'd recommend checking out the superdenim sub-forum on superfuture. It's also possible that one or more of the affiliates on the Streetwear & Denim side of this forum stocks Tanner Goods wallets and could answer your question.

3. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I'm not able to pull that look off myself; I'm too big- I wear straight/normal jeans and in winter I wear chukkas. No jeans in summer here!
    To Boot New York has some modern cuts that might suit you. I think AE has a handful of decent casual shoes that would work with jeans. I'm not sure but Bedstu and Clarks used to sometimes have a dress shoe redone in a more casual style.
    Red Wing has a plain toe shoe that is nice, but I think it has tread that might screw up the look.

Sorry man. I wish I had something more for you.

4. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

I think this thread should be renamed "quick questions, not expecting people to do research on your behalf when you damned well can use the search button." FWIW.

5. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

Is it acceptible to wear French cuffed shirts in casual dress, such as with jeans or chinos, a sport coat and no tie? Or should French cuffs be reserved for suits? Are there any rules regarding the formality of French cuffs vs barrel cuffs, or when it is appropriate to wear one but not the other?

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

This question has been asked about a billion times already you NEWBIE.

:D Ah what the hell. There are differences of opinion, but personally I would only wear a French cuff with a suit, and then only for the most formal of occasions. How they look is an imortant consideration; also important is the fact that they get in the way of using a mouse and/or keyboard, rendering them impractical for work.

7. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

Single pleats in the pants allow for a nice unbroken line from waist to hem. Double pleats can change the distribution of fabric in the front and make the pants more aesthetically pleasing. Triple pleats theoretically can distribute the fabric even more evenly.

What's actually wrong with triple-pleated pants?

8. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I just...what?

9. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Shoes (of any kind, including boots) should not have zips. Ever. Yes, please start wearing lace-up shoes, like a proper adult.

10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

In order:

It is MUCH too bold of a pattern for a first grey suit. ANY pattern is much too bold of a pattern for a first grey suit.

It is too 'unique and loud', full stop. Get a second navy (or a lighter blue if you prefer) blazer/SC in a different fabric to the first--a lighter fabric if you want it for spring/summer.

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Repeat after me: tie knots other than the four-in-hand are not ok.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  12. Philipnorberg

Philipnorberg Member

Hello Styleforum.
    Long time lurker, but now making an account and my first post.

I'm graduating soon, and I need a suit.

But I am somewhat lost in the jungle of what suit to get. I would like to be able to keep my suit for a while and perhaps use it for job interviews etc.

What I have come up with is that I would like to have a dark gray suit along with a pair of brown shoes, the rest I haven't come up with.

Is dark gray okay? And what shirt/tie/suit napkin would fit the best? What fabric should it be?

All help is appreciated!

13. dragulievic

dragulievic Active Member

Hi, I´d like to post some things into the Marketplace but before that I´d like to do the most precise measurement possible.
    Please, could someone help me by sending me a guide, a picture or something, according to which I could make the measuring?
    I´m doing it for the first time so I´ll need to know the basics and what should I look at.
    Thanks!

14. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Senior member

15. sridhar3

sridhar3 Senior member

Quote:
    WTF?

[​IMG]

16. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Senior member

Have you tried cuffing your trousers instead of plain hemming them? I find that the additional weight of a cuff helps them fall back more easily in place.

17. Touching Cloth

Touching Cloth Active Member

Sorry, but this is hilarious.

18. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

:uhoh: I should have specified that I'm not in college. And I'd like to think that I don't have terrible taste.

(j/k, but I was thinking I might go for something nicer.)

I found a pair of Tricker's in c-shade that might work...they might end up being to chunky, but that's why free two-way shipping was invented, amiright?
    Thanks for reminding me why SW&D-ers don't usually venture over to this side of the forum. :laugh:
    Good call...I may give that a shot at some point.

Thanks for the input, everyone. :satisfied:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  19. dragulievic

dragulievic Active Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  20. larrywright

larrywright Member

I'm attending my sister's wedding next month in New York City. I bought this jacket to wear to it, but I'm at a loss as to what color pants I should pair with it. Any suggestions? The jacket is sort of a charcoal plaid with bits of green and blue in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking maybe charcoal pants, but maybe navy or black would be better?