Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Tyler2106

Tyler2106 Active Member

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/florshe...ry&fashionColor=Brown+Leather&resultback=7418

Curious what you guys think of those as far as COLOR wise. Is that dark enough brown? I like the design of them and have a pair of Florsheim shoes similar to those that are very comfortable and are holding up nicely thus far.

EDIT Found a few threads on here and found Benjamin suits that are very nice looking and in my price range. Seemed like a lot of people like those. Yet having trouble finding a navy blue in 42R.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

So one of my closest friend is off to the Naval academy for college and I want to give him a gift -- I want to get him an article of clothing - maybe a tie clip/ some kind of accessory that is easy to keep but preferably a high-quality, soft as hell, white shirt for whatever special occasion/ graduation. Does anyone know what people in the navy are allowed to wear? Are they allowed white shirts outside of the ones given to them by the academy? And how should I get the shirt tailored to accommodate his soon-to-be muscles? Should I add a inch or two on measurements. Sorry guys, I just have no idea what the navy/ military is like -- although the pattern with some friends out of military school is that they become much more built.

3. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Sorry for such a strange question but I didn't want to start a thread on it - unless no one that views this particular thread knows. Thanks!

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Uniform means the same. Don't give him anything with the expectation of his wearing it as a uniform item while in the USNA.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Don't buy anything if you're anticipating sizes changing. When you add muscle, measurements change unpredictably, and you really want to avoid giving him a nice shirt that won't fit right. Wait until he's added the muscle.

Does he have a nice watch? I got a nice watch for my HS graduation. Get the back engraved with [your initials] to [his initials] and have the graduation date in a different spot. It's a nice gift, will always fit, and won't wear out.

6. RedLeg

RedLeg Senior member

Quick question from a new guy:

If a suit is stated to be fully lined, can one safely assume that the suit is full canvass in most or all cases?

7. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

No not at all. Lining has nothing to do with canvass.

8. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Bought a pair of shoes on the net, when I walk in them I can feel the top coming down onto the arch of my foot, should I send them back or will they soften up or is that a normal thing?

9. Tyler2106

Tyler2106 Active Member

Found a good deal on AE "Strand" in brown burnished calf that I'm thinking about getting. Thoughts on that color for versatility?

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My favorite color for a suit is charcoal, which is ironic because I own more navy suits than I go any shade of grey. I am ordering a new charcoal today, however.

I don't think you need to have different "colored" suits, You can change up the shades and even weave to keep things interesting. A serge, herringbone, nailhead, fresco, linen, pinstripe, windowpane... I think textures are way more interesting (and safer) than colors. I like how some fabrics reflect light with others absorb, you can play with this with tie choices as well. All in all, a variety of colors isn't needed for a wardrobe if you ask me. If you want colors, dark browns, taupe, tan, things of that sort have their place, but I say if you are only going to have four suits I would make them 2 navy, 2 grey, just change either the shade or the weave. If you have a small rotation with pieces that stick out too much, people will notice you wearing it more and it turns into the whole "that suit again??"

Just my opinion.

11. patrickBOOTH

I would say it is pretty versatile. I wouldn't go any lighter than that for versatility though.

12. patrickBOOTH

Don't tie them so tight and wear them a while.

13. Tyler2106

Tyler2106 Active Member

I do have a small rotation and I've noticed this with a few of my more colorful, fun shirts. Kinda sucks. That's a good idea for suit colors at this point for me. I will search around for a Navy or different shade of gray. Thanks!

14. dveca

dveca New Member

Does anyone know of a shop in NYC that stocks tuxedo/formal shirts? I have a wedding this weekend and my tux is at the tailor, so I figured I would just pick up a shirt, but Bloomingdales et. al. doesn't stock them, Barney's and Bergdorf's do, but they're comfortably out of my price range.

I need a shirt by today (so I can get it altered a bit if needed) that's $125.00 or less.

Any places I'm forgetting?

15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

You could try Century 21 downtown - you might find something there in that price range?