1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. E TF

E TF Senior member

I have used shoe cream (not wax) of a dark brown on paler brown pebble grain boots, which darkened the boots slightly - the finish was even, not streaky and not just the valleys.

2. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

xpost from the Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread.

3. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

Also, how do you guys feel about the quality of Richer Poorer socks?
    My Main gripe is that they only come in one size.

4. sridhar3

sridhar3 Senior member

I'd use RenoMat to strip as much color off as possible. Wipe it down with a damp cloth, let it dry a bit. Then I'd go Dubbin Graisse (let it sit for a day or two, then brush it down), Renovateur, then Cordovan Cream Shoe Polish, in that order.

If somebody disagrees, feel free to add in your $0.02.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

6. superego

superego Senior member

looking to pick up a light weight chambray shirt for summer...recs either on specific pieces or vendors to check out are appreciated.

7. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

8. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Sorry to come atch'yall with a total noob question, but here is my quandry:

I find myself having to wear chinos and trousers more often these days. I prefer a half-break and relatively slim leg opening. My footwear collection consists mostly of side-zip boots. Whenever I sit down, I tend to cross and uncross my legs, and the hems of my pants rise up above the opening of my boots. When I stand up, the trouser hems sometimes fail to fall back into place neatly around the shaft of the boots, sometimes sitting partially on top of or inside of them.

Is there a way around this? I suppose I could wear trousers with a wider hem, but my boots are, for the most part, relatively sleek. Do I just need to suck it up and wear lace-up shoes instead of boots?

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice. I'm still getting used to not being able to wear raw denim every day of the week. :embar:

9. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I think the two possible work-arounds are pretty clear- change either the boots or pants. Going with a full break would be another possibility, but if you prefer a slim leg then it would look sloppy.

If you have the look you want, just manually adjust your pant legs when they get hung up. It's no different than adjusting anything else that gets wonky when you stand up. Part of the cost of looking sharp.

10. pwnstar

pwnstar Active Member

Hey,

I have been searching for a raincoat and stumbled upon this Herno one on Yoox:

http://www.yoox.com/us/41342156IN/item?dept=men#sts=sr_men80&cod10=41342156IN&sizeId=

Does anybody know anything about it? I.e. what season this might be from, the quality, the fit...or where it is made/if it is authentic? I know some Herno stuff isn't made in Italy, so i didn't want to risk making a mistake. Likewise, the styling is slightly different from other versions I've seen from them, so I wanted to double check.

Thanks!

11. mic

mic Senior member

BADLY WRINKLED SUIT LAPEL FIX?

I purchased an inexpensive (but still substantial in terms of cost) suit jacket from a forum member and he packaged it quite carelessly -it was folded up tightly and crammed into a 9"x12" priority mail envelope.

Despite having been advertised as "like new", the jacket is profoundly wrinkled, particularly the lapels, which are the part that I am concerned with. They are very out-of-shape, with multiple horizontal creases, and will obviously require professional attention. Is there any guarantee that they can be returned to the original shape, or will the jacket always look, in a word, f*cked?

Thanks,
    mic

12. sridhar3

sridhar3 Senior member

What's the suit made out of? Wool? If so, it should come out with steaming and ironing with a press cloth.

13. BasedR00sevelt

BasedR00sevelt New Member

I came here from /fa/, I don't know how you guys stand with them, but a couple of questions. Do you guys acept fuccbois? Is this place dadcore, gothninja, or is everything accepted? Finally, what general threads do you guys have (I.e. Waywt, cop or not, inspiration, recent cops, and obviously questions that don't require their own thread, threads)?

14. BasedR00sevelt

BasedR00sevelt New Member

F

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  15. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Take the jacket to your preferred dry cleaning establishment, which I am confident is better than most, and with the owner/manager of which I presume you already have a good business relationship with excellent communication.

Explain the problem. Show the person in question the badly wrinkled lapel. Indicate to said person any special preferences and instructions.

A few days later, your jacket will look just fine.

Well, ideally that's how it would work.

I mean, clothing gets wrinkled. It happens. Plenty of men stuff jackets into grotesquely over-packed overhead storage bins when they fly, and the jackets get wrinkled over the course of their 11 hour flight. Others buy jackets off of eBay, and the jacket shows up in a medium-sized Priority Mail Flat Rate cardboard box. (You're not the only one.) Still others get stuck spending 3 days in the same suit, sleeping in a snowed-in airport, and ultimately covering the final 800 miles of their journey huddled in the rear of a filthy truck. You think that doesn't tend to wrinkle a suit? (Don't ask me about that trip. Please.)

Fortunately, wrinkles can be pressed out. Almost every time.

16. xDUDERx

xDUDERx New Member

Well I'm a new member and I have a question. I'm debating on getting the tanner goods workman wallet, and I was just wondering how much it actually sticks out of the back pocket? I would get the tether as well.

17. Thomas Elliot

Thomas Elliot New Member

Hi, I am a new member and looking for information about the best sales for the best quality clothes throughout the year. In an order of priority I need: spread collar shirts, ties, navy suit ( I own two ralph lauren blue label), grey suit ( I own one michael kors light grey suit and an evan piccone).

18. azumi

azumi Senior member

RTW = Ready to wear
    MTM = Made to measure.
    OTR = ??? (custom made??)

19. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Off the Rack. not custom.

1 person likes this.
  20. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Off The Rack. So pretty much the opposite of custom made.

1 person likes this.