• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of you used your wives scarfs as pocket squares?

I ask because my mother has a few hermes scarves that I like the design of and wouldn't mind using, she has a couple doubles that Im sure she would let me keep but im not sure if it would look weird.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Have any of you used your wives scarfs as pocket squares?
I ask because my mother has a few hermes scarves that I like the design of and wouldn't mind using, she has a couple doubles that Im sure she would let me keep but im not sure if it would look weird.

design wise it would not be a problem (unless we are talking uber feminine colors/designs). Your issue might be size, you can have someone like Kent Wang make you pocket squares out of it. You would probably get 4 or more squares or so out of a scarf an you can sell the 3 for a tidy profit.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankie Lee - Yes, I like that. If it were in my size, country and price range (bearing in mind I spent most of the last two weeks wages last night) I would buy it.

What can I wear a black tie to/with other than with a black suit at a funeral?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Frankie Lee - Yes, I like that. If it were in my size, country and price range (bearing in mind I spent most of the last two weeks wages last night) I would buy it.
What can I wear a black tie to/with other than with a black suit at a funeral?

navy suit/white shirt/black tie is a classic combo. you can do the same with a grey suit. you can change the shirt to blue etc etc. I am assuming you don't mean a black stain tie.

Hey guys,
What's a decent lint roller that you guys use (preferably one that can be purchased off of Amazon)? I don't need a fancy one -- just one that will get the job done. Will this Scotchhttp://www.amazon.com/Scotch-3M-Rol...F8&qid=1340492262&sr=8-3&keywords=lint+roller one work?
I've actually never used a lint roller before. It won't ruin a wool suit, right? :)

not being snarky, but if you have a suit that needs a lint roller, the lint roller is not the issue.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually wearing two Brooks Brothers suits in the Fitzgerald cut. They're certainly not the nicest suits, but I think they're passable for a college student. They're not Men's Warehouse suits or anything, if that's what you're wondering. :)

The reason why I'm looking for one is because I tried to wipe some dirt off my suit pants with this microfiber cloth, and it ended up leaving a bunch of fibers clinging to my suit. I thought lint rollers were pretty common to use, but I guess not. Maybe I'll just pick them off by hand.

Last edited:

Jay21

Reaction score
I just started working out of college and I'm trying to build a business casual wardrobe without paying too much. I've bought some Charles Tyrwhitt shirts and think they look and fit nice. Now, I want to start upgrading my pants and shoes. Any suggestions keeping in my mind my budget is limited?

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

navy suit/white shirt/black tie is a classic combo. you can do the same with a grey suit. you can change the shirt to blue etc etc. I am assuming you don't mean a black stain tie.

I mean a silk tie like this (Googled it and it wants me to look for satin, typo?)

Think I'll save it for less fortunate occaisons.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I mean a silk tie like this (Googled it and it wants me to look for satin, typo?)

Think I'll save it for less fortunate occaisons.

looks like a silk twill, I'd wear it in the outfits I mentioned without any issues. Black ties don't get enough love.

I like neither but would go with the bonobos/sebago if I had to.

Wanting to cop these:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9722_1_40000000001_-1

THey're $200 bucks at nordstrom are they worth it?

And if I wear 12E would these fit with 13D?

Yes, the player is one of AE's nicest shoes, if not the nicest and $200 is a good price. Size wise, the rule is if you drop a width, go up half a size so these might be a bit too long for you.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm actually wearing two Brooks Brothers suits in the Fitzgerald cut. They're certainly not the nicest suits, but I think they're passable for a college student. They're not Men's Warehouse suits or anything, if that's what you're wondering. :)
The reason why I'm looking for one is because I tried to wipe some dirt off my suit pants with this microfiber cloth, and it ended up leaving a bunch of fibers clinging to my suit. I thought lint rollers were pretty common to use, but I guess not. Maybe I'll just pick them off by hand.

It's Mens Wearhouse, not "Warehouse", there's nothing wrong with a lint roller, they're great for small fibers and dog hair, but you may want to check out a clothes brush as well.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for white spread collar "beater" dress shirts... something you'd wear if there's a good chance you're going to spill, snag, rip, etc. and don't want to cry if you have to throw the shirt in the trash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads