• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
2867-1522-photo2.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone has a pair of these Herring Stratford and can comment on how they go with a suit. Or if they are a more casual boot in real life?

To explain - 'cos I'm in Melbourne I can only see pics and order online.

I wouldn't wear those with a suit.
Boots like those are best worn in more casual settings.

Cheweh

Reaction score
I bought a trench coat from the GAP and it fits around the body a bit more loosely than I would like it to. Is it advisable to take it to the tailor to get it slimmed down a bit?

If so, around how much should I expect to pay?

edit: nevermind. search function, etc.

josh1233

Reaction score
What is generally considered the proper sleeve length for a sport coat/suit coat (how far above the wrist break)? How much cuff from the shirt should show past the sleeve of the jacket?

DM489

Reaction score
Trying to find this shirt:
37shotindarkshirt.jpg
If anyone knows who makes it, or something similar, please let me know! Much appreciated.

click here

Reaction score
anyone know of any good online retailers than sell nice basic collared shirt in white?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josh1233
What is generally considered the proper sleeve length for a sport coat/suit coat (how far above the wrist break)? How much cuff from the shirt should show past the sleeve of the jacket?

It's a bit of a personal preference, but the general rule is about 1/2 inch of shirt cuff showing. I like a bit more myself, but too much gets you in to Liberace territory.

EZ

The Leader

Reaction score
What color pants would go best with a navy velvet blazer? Maybe a conservative/classic suggestion and then a more daring or exciting suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
anyone know of any good online retailers than sell nice basic collared shirt in white?

J.Crew, BR, Brooks Brothers, Gap,...
There are many options for a white collared shirt.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luciosilla
Greetings all, got a bunch of Hermes ties from years past, and I've noticed that on almost all of them the interlining has warped: the two sides turn in, giving the tie a concave effect and rendering at least a couple of them pretty much unwearable. Any possible remedies for flattening the interlining without destroying the silk? Thanks.

"For $100, you get inimitable quality that will last decades. Err, Right?"

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josh1233

I was struggling with this myself.
I think it's wristbone for the suit.
and wrist hinge/palm edge for the shirt sleeve.

Best best is to wear it over a shirt, and mark it where you want.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Leader
What color pants would go best with a navy velvet blazer? Maybe a conservative/classic suggestion and then a more daring or exciting suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Almost any shade of lighter browns and tans (khaki, camel, etc.) Also, I have a navy cord blazer that I really like with dark indigo denim.

Exit English

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Leader

I recently photographed a guy here in Toronto who wore a navy velvet blazer with a white button down shirt and a pair of mid grey pants. It looked very nice. Kinda makes me want to get a velvet blazer.

JesterM

Reaction score
At the advice of the forum I've gotten a lot of my dress shirts tailored, is there any benefit to doing the same for polo shirts? They seem to suffer from the same problem as my dress shirts (great fit at the shoulders and chest, baggy at the waist).

dbc

Reaction score
Two questions that have been bugging me for a while

1) Where can I find a nice tie-pin and how much are we looking at?
2) I live in the tropics (Singapore) but in the event that you wear a suit in a country that snows, what kind of footwear should you pair with it that doesn't look strange?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads