Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. doughboysc

doughboysc Senior member

I've recently lost weight my neck size went from 19.5" to 18" and my sleeve length went from 35" to 34". Most of my Brooks Brothers shirts are 20" neck 36" sleeve (too big you dig!). I've got a question, my chest is 52" (I wear a Long because I'm six feet one and a half) and my waist is 58". Would that be the problem for off-the-rack suits and dress shirts? What's my best option I've saved almost $10K, off-the-rack or MTM/Bespoke on suits, sportcoats/blazers, dress shirts, and trousers?

Plus, I've taken the tie-length calculator at http://www.tie-a-tie.net/extralongties.html on my height and neck size. They suggested extra long. Also I know Turnbull & Asser makes bespoke extra long neckties. What other places they have extra long neckties like in NYC besides Rochester Big and Tall for example?

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

If you are planning on losing more weight, I would not go an spend a lot of money on clothing now. You could very easily drop a few more sizes and then you'd have a bunch of clothing that is too big for you. Unless you need suits/sportcoats right now, I would stick with a Rochester or another big and tall store and just buy a few basic cotton/wool pants and a few shirts. You'll be wearing the same clothes often but I'd suck it up and then once I was comfortable that I was at my final weight, I'd explore the suits/sportcoats. If this is your final weight, given your size you almost have to go MTM and who you use will depend on your budget. For shirts, there are a ton of MTM options, for suits I would check with other big and tall guys. Tie, you can get made to whatever size you like from a few people here, Sam Hober, myself and I think Kent Want offers long ties, I'm, assuming you are looking at about a 65 inch lenght tie or so.

3. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Looking to replace my messenger bag with something more grown up. Any suggestions for an everyday bag under $200?

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

artifactbags.com

5. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Picture example if posible?

Thanks for your answer [​IMG]

6. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I actually ended up going in a totally different direction after ordering the BB Fitzgerald and seeing that it would not ship until almost September.

I went with this: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1048/'Caine-Sportcoat-Navy-Hopsack/Detail

I read some good things about Southwick blazers and it's returnable if I don't like it for whatever reason.

7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

[​IMG]

8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Stupid question, but I gotta ask it.

For the people who get MTM suits from Hong Kong tailors, are you actually flying out there and doing fittings in person or are you getting all your full measurements domestically and working with the HK tailor via email and phone?

I mean, depending on the travel cost I gotta imagine you might not save too much money if you're flying back and forth and staying out there to do fittings and pick fabrics in person.

A WW Chan thread got me thinking about it. Boston to Hong Kong would absolutely not be a cheap flight and I can certainly find $1500 suits at home.

Or do these tailors travel to US cities and you find a way to meet up with them that way?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Many of the HK tailors travel to the States a couple of times a year. Check their websites.

10. james sparrow

james sparrow Member

what do u match waist coats colour with?

11. jslade

jslade Senior member

I'm thinking about picking up a new pair of glasses. I'd be paying out of pocket for the glasses (family doesn't really use insurance). Are designer glasses (Zegna, Polo Ralph Lauren) a huge ripoff without insurance helping you cover some of it? They seem like just a few bands of plastic/metal bolted together.

12. james sparrow

james sparrow Member

If you go for Carreras instead they are really good quality and design.... But with glasses it's normal to be a bit careful otherwise carreras has always satisfied me....

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good advice. I lost 50 pounds and bought a wardrobe. I lost another 50 and had to start from square one again. Level off, then buy.

14. jc4jax

jc4jax Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a white and peach striped shirt with contrast collar and French cuffs. I matched it up with a striped navy blue and grey striped suit. I welcome your opinions and critique on which you believe is a better combination along with any tie suggestion, thank you.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

15. cameronXVX

cameronXVX Active Member

Found a pair of madras pants thrifting today, they're hemmed about 2 inches short for me but have 4 to let out. Should most capable tailors be able to hem and taper my pants with a decent result? and on top of that, how much would you think that would cost? I know I should just ask, but I'd like a ballpark figure before I actually take them in.