1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Senior Member

Would anyone care to help me on this? :)

2. eddys

eddys New Member

3. Saturdays

Saturdays Distinguished Member

4. stratton

stratton New Member

My girlfriend, and soon to be wife, doesn't think the PS and the tie is a good combo. I would love your opinions on this.

[​IMG]

(The colors are a bit off, the blazer is navy and the PS is pink with blue dots, the color of the tie is fairly accurate with dark and light blue stripes)

5. Dark Knot

Dark Knot Affiliate Vendor

Most online retailers that are not considered luxury will sell what they claim to be pure silk ties for under $50. However, what you want to look for are detail specifications that ensure that the tipping (triangular portion on the back of the tie at the bottom) is also pure silk, as these can often be made with polyester. Additionally, you want to see if the interlining of the tie is woolen or a double layer that is one layer cotton and one layer woolen. Most ties that are $20-$30 in the market and are sold as '100% pure silk' refer to the body of the tie, not the tipping. Also, these ties are usually interlined with polyester, and often not with a double layer of cotton or wool (which help maintain the shape of the tie and ultimately result in a better knot). If you can find a retailer out there that is selling silk ties for under $50 with strong interlining and strong tipping, you've found yourself a good deal.

If you can't get those specifications, then you shouldn't be spending anymore than $30 max, and ideally around $20.

6. Kabir

Kabir New Member

Hi Folks,

I travel to main fashion streets all over the world I really appreciate men's clothing.

I would like to ask if I can hire someone choose me my wardrobe and help me with new clothing and style so is it possible to get someone like that and do it within a budget.

Thanks

7. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

X-Post from BB sale thread but more traffic here and more relevant here:

I'm still having navy blazer dilemmas. Narrowed it down to these:

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-outer...ed-fit-blazer?q=2fsbi4||BL038NAV|||||||||||||

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...t_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=40 Long#null

http://www.parkandbond.com/product/101490614

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...t_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=40 Long

If anyone can provide some feedback that would be a big help. They're all within my budget so I'm really just looking to hear which one would be the best fit and quality for a navy blazer that I can wear around an office that is mostly business casual (only Senior VP's wear suits daily).

Edit: I guess the links got chopped? The 2 BB's I posted at the Fitzgerald blazer in navy and the 1818 blazer in navy.

This one would be a slight budget stretch but it's manageable: http://www.parkandbond.com/product/112524204

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Distinguished Member

There are a few image/style consultants on here, though I personally find the idea preposterous.

9. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

Use this forum as your fashion consultant. Try things on in stores, take pics, post pics, get feedback. Repeat until you have knowledge.

And that's free.

10. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior Member

+1 . Before I came on here it was always about the name of the brand, now I've discovered smaller companies like Kent Wang, Howard Yount and many more. Most people on here want/try to help with questions you have and I hate to say it..but they're brutally honest but that's how I've been learning.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Does anybody know where I can buy bulk gemming?

12. doublebb

doublebb Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some slim trousers in khaki/navy at around $100 a pair. Any suggestions?

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Distinguished Member

Buy two pairs of Brooks Brothers Milano cut.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I endorse this post.

15. evolved

evolved Senior Member

I posted this in the Allen Edmonds thread, but thought it may get more exposure here. Thanks in advance!

I've been going back and forth on what boots to get......the wife and I are going to Europe over late December/early January and I want a boot that could take some rain/sleet during the day yet still be able to wear them to dinner that night with a nice sweater or sport coat. I was thinking possibly the chocolate calf Dalton with the rubber sole. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!