Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Senior member

New to the forum, hello all.

I really like the cut of this suit and it would match my 6ft2 athletic build (reasonable shoulders, chest and a slim (32") waist).

[​IMG]

However, it's Tom Ford, and I haven't had the balls to ask about the price :)

Can anyone recommend any other brands offering similar cuts to this?
    Failing that, what should I be specific about if I wanted to convey this cut to a tailor?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

2. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

That's Paul Stuart's logo on the sole and they are Grenson Masterpiece (aka Stuart's Choice). The quality is very good. Do a SF search for more related info.

[​IMG]

3. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Senior member

Further to my last question, I have another.

I tried on a couple of jackets today, and you can see the 'dimple' at the shoulder and i was concerned about the rear vent over my arse:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I have pretty larger shoulders and triceps, so the sales assistant suggested i try a suit with a very natural shoulder pad (basically none) and it completely eliminated this dimple.

I like the idea of a nicely shaped shoulder, then bringing in the waist accordingly to create a nice V shape.

The main problem is that I am in Tokyo, where most people are not 187cm tall. These suits were $252 USD equivalent and were wool with polyester lining inside. Not amazing fabric, but i wanted to try one something to test cuts.

Any ideas, tips, or comments regarding the above photos and/or natural vs padded shoulders?

4. gort

gort Senior member

Thoughts on the Bass brand for an inexpensive knockaround oxford (aka one I don't care if they get destroyed)?

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

They do much better with loafers and stuff like bucks then the do with smooth leather oxfords. While the leather ain't much to speak of (though they do have nicer grades then the standard shiny), it's gonna be hard to find a better constructed shoe for $100 then a weejun. The Bucks are classic, and I have a pair of camp mocs from them that I love.

But the dress oxfords look awful. Even in the realm of $100 shoes you can probably find something on a better last. Try Bostonian or something like that.

6. gort

gort Senior member

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

8. gort

gort Senior member

Yea sorry about that mixup. :embar:

9. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Has anyone purchased Borrelli shirts from elitebargainnyc on eBay? Good experiences? Good shirts?

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

On a related note, what is a good online source for Borelli shirts and approximately how much do they cost? I'm looking for a legit source, not ebay or some weird discount website. I want to see what all the fuss is about. If someone could link me to a useful thread, that would be great too.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

11. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

http://www.shopthefinest.com/

12. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

Thanks. I also found them on eHaberdasher while I was searching. My next question: Does Borrelli have different "lines" of shirt quality or fit? Or are all these $150 shits on Shopthefinest and eHaberdasher similar?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

13. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

I think the quality is pretty similar, but fit can vary so worth checking measurements. Shopthefinest has very detailed descriptions.

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

There are different cuts and the collars on the "sport shirts" are smaller and have less stiff fusing. Buttons vary as well between big chunky MOP to flatter MOP and plastic. Also I think it's important to know that STF only offers store credit for returns and shipping is at your own expense while Ben at eHaberdasher offers refunds.

15. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Any does anybody have experience with buying Borrelli from elitebargainnyc?