Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Are you getting married in the evening? Just wear a suit and invest in a nice one.

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

You might be able to get a decent tuxedo for $400 or so at Men's Wearhouse. Just please wear a bow tie and not a regular tie. Also, don't wear a tuxedo during the day. You probably already know this from reading blacktieguide, but it bears repeating.

Edit to fix error

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Eh, nobody cares about the day/night thing anymore, and rightfully so. There's so little call for formalwear in the modern world that it makes a lot more sense to have only one set in normal use. In Europe, where it's a little more common, (wedding guests are expected in formalwear, more social occasions) retaining distinct sets of day/night formalwear makes sense, but they've gone from four to two.

A tuxedo is, in the modern world, simply generic formalwear.

Oh, and no long ties. No white ties. Bad, bad, bad. It simply looks bad with the getup. You want a black bowtie, and unless it's a traditional low cut vest, no vest at all. Cummerbund or nothing in that case. One button or double breasted, peak or shawl lapel. No notches. Once upon a time it was an acceptable option, but now it screams cheap and crappy. Buy your own, you can get a presentable tux (that will be better quality than the rental) for not much more than a rental these days. Jos A. Bank or hell, something at Men's Warehouse, and get it tailored.

Or, as previously mentioned, buy a nice suit. Treat yourself to a good one, get it tailored to perfection, and wear it for decades after your wedding.

4. a

a Member

Quick Qu.: Should one treat (wax/polish/other) new shoes before wearing them out?

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

They do that at the factory. If the finish is duller than you like, you could touch them up or put a mirror shine on them if that's your thing, but there's no need to.

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Tell that to just about everybody on this board. The problem with a black tuxedo during the day is that it tends to look washed out with a greenish cast. So if you are looking for a practical reason, there it is.

I agree about the white/long tie thing as well as a proper tuxedo. For under $500, Jos. A. Bank might be the only option for peak lapel 1 button and grosgrain facing. Otherwise, there is a Charles Tyrwhitt one, but I don't know if the facing is grosgrain.

7. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

I'll be graduating soon and "menswear" is new to me so I have a few questions.

1) Is a suit more appropriate for graduation, or just a shirt and tie?

2) Can anyone suggest some color patterns for shirt, tie, and pants? It doesn't have to be super formal and I want to stand out (but not in a Craig Sager or Don Cherry way lol). I usually wear shades (boring), so I want to start adding some color.

thanks!

8. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Wear a suit unless it will be unbearably hot with your gown. Your college / university tie is usually a good bet with all University related things.

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I'll be attending an outdoor evening wedding in mid-July in central Maryland. Chances are that the groom will barely be wearing a necktie, according to the bride to be but I can't be certain. Most men will likely be dressed in polos and khaki pants. I'm not TRYING to outdress everyone but I expect it to be quite warm and I would like to dress respectfully.

I intend to wear a blue/white seersucker suit and was thinking of a blue dress shirt and your basic white AE bucks. Would a cotton madras (reds and blues, mostly) necktie be acceptable for that time of day?

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Was there a dress code on the invite? If you are not sure if even the groom is wearing a tie, you might want to go tie-less and wear a summer sport jacket and slacks with a PS for a little color. BTW, you are making us cental Marylanders look bad on SF. :embar:

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

No dress code mention on the invitation. I have discussed it with the B2B and she says that she doesn't want to make anyone uncomfortable so she's fine with "whatever". I won't fall for THAT little trick again, though. I attended a "beach wedding" on a Mexican beach. I was told to "wear whatever would be comfortable, really, anything's fine." I wore a guyabera shirt and linen pants. Everyone else showed up in a suit. :angry:

How so? :puzzled: What'd I do, now?

12. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

+1000. I very much doubt Men's Warehouse have the appropriate type of vest, and a high-cut normal vest with black tie is an abomination.

13. ccoleman99

ccoleman99 New Member

I'm a slender guy - 5'11", 145 lbs. Which suit for the office?

1. Banana Republic Monogram
    2. Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald

Thanks.

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The Brooks Brothers will be much higher quality. If it fits right, that one.

15. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Hey all!

Quick question. I'm about to finish my undergraduate program - so far all my workplaces (and my expected workplace) will not be very formal, therefore I generally don't need to wear a suit. However, I do want to have at least one other suit besides my somewhat cruddy Zara black 2PC. I know it's not even close to meeting the standards set here but the details on the fit are pretty awesome.

I also have a very versatile navy blazer, it was a MTM piece from Brooks Brothers - they did a truly awesome job, the jacket is perfect and the price was spot on with my corp. discount.

That being said, if I were to pick up a first real suit, should I go with:

This Tom Ford RTW suit:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/297249/...eak-lapel-charcoal-grey-with-pinstripe-base-a

A WW Chan suit:
    I really don't know how pricing is but I'm hoping it's around $1,500

A RL Black Label or Purple Label suit:
    I think I can find a RLBL for around $750 or so. If not, for sure under $1,000.

Given these factors, which suit would you go for? I'm tempted to go the Tom Ford route because of its high retail and supposedly sublime quality - but what do you guys think? It'd definitely be worn when a suit is really needed.

Thanks!