• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

crazydiamond

Reaction score

Can anyone explain what the numbers specifically mean on this label, the only one i can work out is 34 relates to waist size.

Also does it look real or fake?

Thanks.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My seamstress also took out the box pleat and darted my OCBD. It should not be a problem for a seamstress unless it's an irregular box pleat.
I think the rule on length is that it should fall near the middle of your bottom/pant/jean zipper.

really took out the box pleat? wouldn't she have to take apart the shirt across the entire yoke to do that? seems like a lot of work instead of just getting unpleated shirts to begin with.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

really took out the box pleat? wouldn't she have to take apart the shirt across the entire yoke to do that? seems like a lot of work instead of just getting unpleated shirts to begin with.

Agreed, makes no sense.

If one picks up a shirt with a box pleat and looks at the construction it becomes apparent that this is a major undertaking. In addition to taking apart the yoke, the tailor would have to redo the arm seam and the side seam. Anything can be done, but this is going to screw up the whole shirt.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed, makes no sense.
If one picks up a shirt with a box pleat and looks at the construction it becomes apparent that this is a major undertaking. In addition to taking apart the yoke, the tailor would have to redo the arm seam and the side seam. Anything can be done, but this is going to screw up the whole shirt.

I think it fits fine and i was only charged $15 for the alteration.

jlconley

Reaction score
Does this HF wool & 52% silk jacket look too winter for a more casual wedding over the weekend? I am on the fence about it and wanted your gentleman's excellent opinion? I would be wearing a pair of summer-weight khaki slacks.

david3558

Reaction score
Hey guys - just picked up a smaller Corneliani jacket based off of measurements. Obviously the sleeves are too short and I think they can be let out but what do you think of the overall size of the jacket - any other comments?

EDIT: The jacket is unstructured, almost no padding on the shoulders and is only half lined up top.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - just picked up a smaller Corneliani jacket based off of measurements. Obviously the sleeves are too short and I think they can be let out but what do you think of the overall size of the jacket - any other comments?

EDIT: The jacket is unstructured, almost no padding on the shoulders and is only half lined up top.

I think the jacket itself might be a bit short, not just the sleeves.

ETA: Where does the first (fastened) button sit in relation to your belly button?

Last edited:

Athomas

Reaction score
Anyone know where can I stock up on some decent-quality, solid-colored pocket squares with somewhat thick colored borders in a variety of colors? I've checked Kent Wang's site and the ones I want I already have. No go on Paul Smith, Barney's, ASW, etc. Just picked up a Drake's from Mr. Porter. Besides that, though, not sure where else to look. Are there no go-to spots for nice squares? Do I have to luck out on the "nicer" ones as usual?

Also, does a thinner border equate to a higher level of formality, and thicker the opposite? Or does it not matter? Maybe it's just me, but the PS the guy is wearing below seems perfect for a sportsjacket (which is also what I'm looking for), but I feel would be a bit "much" for a suit. What do you guys say?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a little on the short side, but absolutely great elsewhere.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a pair of royal blue flax trousers that I'd like to wear, but I'm not sure with what they'd go well. Is a navy odd jacket blue-overkill? Any other suggestions up top and on the feet?

pfr0g

Reaction score
Been a long time since I posted, hello SF :)

I used to purchase a lot of clothes and find myself having to budget more these days. Have not bought much since 08/09 in the way of dress shirts. I need to refresh my collection due to work elbow destroyed shirts (now made into short sleeve casuals).

I am still fairly particular about my clothes. I would like to get something along the lines of Borelli/Purple Label/Fray/Isaia/Barba but dont have the time to hunt for bargains in the outlets. Most of my collection is Borrelli and Barba. I have custom shirts from So my questions are:

1. Any good eBay sellers around the 99 mark? I know much can be had at the 129-169 mark but want to try and stay under a 100. I know the old go to sites like virtualclotheshorse, ehaberdasher, Shopethefinest but looks like shirts are in the 150 range.

2. I many just go custom. I have had shirts made from Victor Talbots probably wont be going to them http://www.victortalbots.com/, Ascot Chang, Geneva (one of the better customs I have) and CEGO. I am leaning towards Geneva. Their construction was probably the best along with Ascot. CEGO made a great shirt as well. Geneva will put me in the 200 range a shirt I think, any recent experience someone can share? I don't need top notch fabric so hope I can stay around the 200 mark.

3. Jantzen- Remember good things about Ricky and this site. Never ordered. Well I think I ordered a linen one and never got it, gave up. Anyone have recent experiences that would care to share? Would be great to get a good bulk of my everyday shirts at a 50-60 price point.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

ps: Hi to my old SF pals if you are around Ed Morel (spelling) Andrew and may others I forget :)

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
I saw one or two ebay auctions for Hermes Ascots (day cravats I think). But on Hermes's USA site I couldn't find any for sale.

Does Hermes still make actual ascots/day cravats? Why aren't they on the website? Are the ones on ebay necessarily fake?

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Delete, got my answer via pm :)

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of royal blue flax trousers that I'd like to wear, but I'm not sure with what they'd go well. Is a navy odd jacket blue-overkill? Any other suggestions up top and on the feet?

For casual outfits, go white/grey/earthy up top, looks sweet

bnovc

Reaction score
I am going to be getting married in August. I am renting tuxedos for the groomsmen and ushers at Men's Wearhouse; I understand this place isn't very well received on SF, but there aren't many options here. I'm thinking about buying a tuxedo for myself and renting the vest and tie (both white, which I probably wouldn't wear again; I know BlackTieGuide says to do a bowtie instead), because the rental tuxes all seem enormous on me, and you can't tailor a rental.

I probably won't wear a tux very often, and I'm already paying for all of my wedding, so I'd prefer not to spend a lot on it. MW gives you $450 off a suit if you rent the others from them, so I'm thinking I will buy a tux from them. This one seems to be the most slim: http://www.menswearhouse.com/shop/p...751_700023360_-1_700000432_____noSpecialSizes

I'm curious for opinions on that tuxedo. For the low price, is that worth it? Other suggested routes to go?
I will probably try to find some fairly inexpensive tuxedo shoes to go with it, and then order a tuxedo shirt off of MT.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads