1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. jamesemile

jamesemile New Member

Not sure if this is the right spot for this questionn but I'll give it a go.

I saw someone with a pair of monk shoes that had buttons instead of buckles on them. Leather looked intentionally distressed but not trashed. Does anyone have any idea who makes that shoe or a similar one? I don't really like the monks buckle but the buttons were so interesting!

Thanks!

2. Smudge

Smudge Senior Member

Can anyone help me identify these Florsheim Longwings? I thrifted them yesterday for $30 and am wondering if they warrant a post on the "Thrift bragging forum" ;-) . I'm not looking to flip these but would quite like to know what I'm wearing. Many thanks...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54c4gkh7f1rxhk4jo1_500.jpg
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54c71mJZG1rxhk4jo1_500.jpg
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54c7xfm3I1rxhk4jo1_500.jpg
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m54cbrB8BT1rxhk4jo1_500.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

Burgundy shell, I'm pretty sure. Probably early 80's, not too long before they went fully downmarket. Nice find.

4. ballmouse

ballmouse Distinguished Member

While those Florsheims are probably fine, the Florsheim shoes most people on SF are talking about are Florsheim Imperials or Florsheim Royal Imperials, which are a better line of shoe.

5. Smudge

Smudge Senior Member

Thanks Ballmouse, do you have any idea what line of Florsheim these are, is the blue oval a clue?

Thanks Cptjeff, I hope you are right :)

6. cptjeff

The entry level of the vintage florsheims at least matches the best US made shoes today. Those may not match the level of some of the vintage florsheims that show up here, but they're still on the level of AE or Alden, and certainly worth 30 bucks. Unless I'm wrong and that leather is corrected grain rather than shell.

Then they went downmarket and became the sad shadow of their former selves they are today. Better than just dying, I suppose.

Edit:

Yes. "The Florsheim Shoe"= their standard line. They also had "Imperial Florsheim" and "Royal Imperial Florsheim" (or maybe it was just Royal Imperial?). Anyway, that's the basic grade, which is still pretty nice. The higher grades will have a green oval and green stitching inside the shoe.

Of course, they tweaked things over the years, so there's a lot of variance and I couldn't pretend to walk you through it all. But that black sockliner is a newer design, the old ones are brown and have the shield logo, and often have no origin statement (made before those laws were passed).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

7. ethanm

ethanm Stylish Dinosaur

Is it? I feel like the original owners and shoemakers would be disgusted.

8. cptjeff

Perhaps, but they fill a niche. The modern imperials are probably the best constructed $200ish shoe on the market these days, though they are corrected grain.

9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Distinguished Member

ya thanks Sanguis.. there is another one here in the States that SFers have often recommended but the name is escaping me at the moment. And there are always international tailors as well.... most of mine are made in HK.

10. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior Member

Anyone have a recommendation for a brown moc-toe style shoe that's NOT a split-toe? < $300. Allen edmonds doesn't seem to have many options that I can find.

Looking for a lace-up shoe, not a loafer.

Would love something like this: [​IMG], but it's $600 !

11. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior Member

What do you gents think about these boots for office wear? We are required to occasionally wear formal business attire but all other times is business casual. Would these boots be versatile enough to pull off formal and casual?

Thank you,
    GrensonMan
    [​IMG]

12. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Senior Member

They are a bit... shiny? Do you know what the material is? It's hard to tell from the picture.

I think that generally, a derby boot CAN be versatile enough to work both casually and for some slightly dressier occasions, but not this particular boot. As said, it's very shiny, which leads me to believe isn't full grain leather. Also, rubber soles, especially red rubber soles, wouldn't work for a dress boot to be worn with a suit. If you can find something similar made from a full grain leather and with a leather sole, you'll be on a better track.

13. visu

visu New Member

14. calcoast

calcoast Well-Known Member

Hey I've been looking around for some nice grey trousers (~$150 range) and I wanted to know if you can can recommend any?

I like the style of these: (http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=56575&vid=1&pid=421166&scid=421166002).

Is there something similar or better quality-wise you guys can recommend for around the same price, with this same kind of style?

I prefer them to be slim fit have have some kind of pattern but I am open to suggestions.

I'm a size 36x30 and I'm open to ebay/B&S

Thanks...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Not with that sole, contrast stitching, and patent leather..