1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I'm in a minority of one on this board. About 20 suits and over 30 jackets, not a single vent among them. I don't like the way vents flap and open, and I like the look of a smooth, uncluttered back on a jacket. They are not in vogue right now but there have been times when this was the only way to go. YMMV.

2. Aeren

Aeren Active Member

no wonder that i found Rtw french front shirt has no lining!thanks for ur answer,its helpful

3. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reply. Today is my 6th wear so they are probably getting close to as broken in as I can expect then. My left shoe is perfectly fine, but my right is just ever so snug in the toe box to make me glad when I remove them after wearing all day. Perhaps I will try a larger tree or stretcher to see it gives me just that little bit of room I need.

4. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

That shouldn't happen, especially on the 5 last. You might be half of a size too small, or the last might not work for you.

5. CrAz3D

CrAz3D Senior member

When I walk, I only notice that edge of pinky touches. It's just me noticing other toe when I wiggle them.

6. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

^ - just make sure that you're not getting squeezed in the toe box, especially if you plan to do a lot of walking. I've made the mistake before and my pinky toe was shouting some pretty crass things at me after taking off my shoes.

7. CrAz3D

CrAz3D Senior member

No squeeze whatsoever. Just a very light touch. My toes can wiggle theirs hearts out.

I had a cheap pair of cowboy boots that crammed the $! #@!) out of my toes... I switched to only D/squared toed boots after that.

8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Save yourself the aggravation, and take the shoe to a local shoe repair place, and have them stretch it for you. They won't charge much.

And while I suppose forcing a size XL shoe tree into a size 7 shoe might stretch the shoe some, I also know that the vast majority of the time, a shoe tree will not meaningfully enlarge a shoe's size.

9. 12345Michael54321

Sounds like the shoe doesn't fit your foot.

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Where to buy suede brush and eraser in Canada?

11. ocatoro

ocatoro Member

any help?

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Hard to tell, but based on this photo, the colors are too similar between the tie and vest (which I assume is part of a suit?).

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

A french front can be constructed with or without interlining, as can a normal placket.

14. ocatoro

ocatoro Member

Yes, part of a suit.

Better with a burnt orange or copper colour?

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Nope, still too close. Something dark green or navy would work well.

16. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

I think there's a double standard there, and it's not really a good one. If he told her to wear a summer dress do this winter occasion, how do you think she would react?

17. apnero

apnero New Member

[​IMG]

New member... have I coordinated my patterns decently or poorly and why? Trying to do new things with the plaid coat... hard for me. Still a youngin.

18. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on this coat in charcoal (Izod)? http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...STYLE=Overcoat&sp=1&spc=49&ruleId=27&slotId=1

Price is definitely right at $70 as I would probably only wear it 12 - 18 times a year, but I do need a dress coat on occasion for wear with suits. Wouldn't expect it to last me 20 years, but at that price I don't need it to. Mainly just wondering if the quality is "ok" enough to pair with suits. The style seems pretty inoffensive.

19. 12345Michael54321

If by "fake," you mean a counterfeit item, something which illegally copies the original and pretends to be the original, then yes, it's quite wrong. (Example, a fake Rolex, which has "Rolex" on its dial, and which sells for $25 from a street vendor on a downtown corner.)

If by "fake," you mean a less expensive brand, which merely resembles certain aspects a more expensive original, without ever trading on the original's name or reputation, then no, it's not wrong. (Example, an Invicta 8926, which closely resembles a Rolex in various ways, but which is clearly marked "Invicta.")

Wearing a less expensive brand is ALWAYS preferable to wearing counterfeit goods. The very worst that wearing a less expensive brand says about you is that you cannot, or do not choose to, spend big money on the original. It says relatively little about your fundamental character.

Whereas wearing counterfeit goods says that you have no respect for the truth, or for others' rights. (And yes, the right to use the word "Rolex" on a wristwatch is indeed someone's right - that the right is held by a business entity, rather than by an individual, is irrelevant.) Thus, it says a great deal about your character and your values. And what it says is not particularly flattering.

I appreciate that an original is often much more expensive than a fake. But that's never justification for resorting to counterfeit goods. If you simply cannot afford the original, then do without. There are always tasteful, affordable alternatives. And often you win more points for turning to a largely overlooked alternative, than you would for simply charging to your Visa card the outrageous price demanded by the original.
    --
    Michael

20. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Assuming you aren't trolling, yes.

a) The quality is lower than what you could purchase for the same price, if not cheaper, than something with some (fake) conspicuous branding

b) Building on a), it also demonstrates that you care more about brand recognition than quality. While this isn't "wrong" per se, I'd encourage a reevaluation of priorities.

c) Branding without quality is dumb, but these are businesses and they know they can make money with their brand. Fine. But regardless of what you think of cashing in on their brand name to make money with inferior products, these brands put time, money, and effort into building their name. Those who produce knock-off goods are essentially free riders.

d) Not that name brands are always produced in stellar, union-approved conditions, but I imagine knock-offs are more likely to be produced in sweat shops.