1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. AmericanLion

AmericanLion Well-Known Member

I own one suit right now and it is one I bought when I was like 18 from a Men's Warehouse haha. I only need to wear a suit once a week so what do you think would be my best bet? Should I try to get a RLPL used on eBay? Or something like a JA on deep discount? I almost bought a blue JA sports cost for 150 on Gilt but I did not know it it was a good deal or not.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I wouldn't buy suits online until you know exactly what fits you and what your measurements are. Tagged size is damn near useless.

Go to Brooks Brothers or even (gasp) Jos Bank and get something classic, in a sober color (solid navy or charcoal), and most importantly, that fits you.

2 people like this.
  3. Phantoom

Phantoom Well-Known Member

Any recommendations on where to buy a pair of walnut wholecuts for less than $500?

4. eqcitizen

eqcitizen Well-Known Member

5. AmericanLion

AmericanLion Well-Known Member

The sad thing is that the town I live in. The only options I have for a suit are Jos A Bank, Men's Warehouse, Dillards or JCPenny haha. No Brooks Brothers or Jcrew within 175 miles! I guess I will have to go check out Jos A Bank and if I can't get a nice fit. I will just get it altered

6. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Yay with sport coat, always.
    Yay with suit if it is not in a business setting. If you're wearing a suit to a more relaxed party, you're fine.

7. Phantoom

Phantoom Well-Known Member

8. eqcitizen

In my experience cotton/wool blends tend to crease and wrinkle more than a pure wool suit. They also wear a bit cooler (good for hotter days), especially if partially lined like this one is. Its tough to judge from the pictures but most blended suits come off as more casual, which if it is what you are going for great, but if you are thinking about wearing it in an office, you may want to think about it first. Also, FYI this particular suit looks very fashion forward (ie. thom browne like: short in length, skinny lapels, etc) and fits the model pretty poorly.

1 person likes this.
  9. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

+1 this. In the past two weeks I've bought 3 pairs of AE for a total of under 300. All with super minimal wear, almost new condition.

10. eqcitizen

Where do you live?

11. eqcitizen

How many posts do you need to have before you can post without moderator approval?

12. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Thanks for this! Called them already. Might be dropping by for a visit soon to compare.
    It turns out my sister-in-law's dad is a cobbler and has done it his whole life. I'm not sure how good he is tho as he's small time.

13. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Yeah that becomes a pain in the arse!
    Just keep posting my friend.
    (I'm a little sad that I joined later than you yet am already a senior member... [​IMG] )

14. kankles

kankles Active Member

Where's a decent place to pick up a cashmere tie or two?

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Little help needed. I'm starting to transition my clothes from skinny boy SW&D stuff to fuller cuts, mostly because I'm making an honest run at being a good powerlifter and don't want to look like a stuffed sausage in my clothing. I've found out that Levis reproductions are awesome jeans for that, now trying to find a good chino. This is a pair of Bills Khakis Chamois size 34 M2, snagged off ebay for around $30. These are v. comfortable but I am sort of conscious of how baggy they feel around the knee and how they drape, but i think this is a right step in the direction cause I can show you some pics of me in skinny uniqlo stuff that is no beuno.

My question is should I get the leg opening tapered a little bit?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. doctorvai

doctorvai Member

Hi !

I love beautiful ties (like the one made by Pal Zileri, Kiton, Antonio Muro, E.Marinella) but those are damn too expensive (about 200€) here in France, so i can't afford to buy with my junior consultant salary ! Is there somewhere on the net where i can find some for cheap ?! Or any alternative brand that make flower ties with smt less than 50 bucks ?

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  18. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I don't know if they will have any patterns you like, but thetiebar.com has a wide selection and their ties are usually $15 (U.S.) each. You aren't going to get high end silk or anything, but the quality is very good for the price. I have purchased there on many occasions.

19. doctorvai

doctorvai Member

Thanks,

I already checked it, but most of the patterns aren't that great :(

20. eqcitizen

Check out vineyard vines for ties with flowers or other knick-knacky designs. They retail for $75 but i find them for $50 on places like gilt or the like. Or try the ever popular ebay. Half my ties are from ebay and are quality names (hermes, charvet, RLPL, Nicky Milano, Drakes etc) and almost all i got under $60. Lastly try Sam Hober who makes custom ties for about $80.