Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I think you answered your question Cam... ya you need to break them in! :happy:

2. amathew

amathew Senior member

Even sockless, no shoes should tear up the back of your ankle REALLY bad. However, I would not take it as a sign of anything else.

I would suggest waiting for the ankle to heal, and then wear it with socks and see if the same thing happen. If so, then you have a problem.

Last edited: May 23, 2012

3. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I have had this issue quite a bit recently. I basically bought about 5 new pairs of shoes, and decided to start wearing them to work. Bad idea. I have broken in about 3 of them, but when I wear the other 2 pairs, I bring a backup pair to change into for long walks.

4. amathew

amathew Senior member

Weird, I've always had a certain level of discomfort when breaking in new shoes, but nothing where the shoe has cut my ankle/foot.

Make sure the sizing is correct...otherwise, I don't know what else to say besides give it some time.

5. cameronXVX

cameronXVX Active Member

I was hoping that was the case, I have socks and bandaids on now, makes walking tolerable, definitely not gonna do this again. Thanks for the feedback, I'll see how they feel next week after i'm all healed up. The fact that it's really bad was probably exacerbated by the fact that I had to chase a bus this morning, just glad I didn't bleed on my brand new white suede!

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

New shoes with no socks = bad idea.

New shoes for long wallk = bad idea.

7. Essential

Essential Senior member

I'll go sky blue and white non iron then but I'm not sure about the third color. I'm Asian so I'm a bit pale. I dont think pink, Ercu, and yellow will work. I have a charcoal suit and navy blazer so I would like more suggestions

8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

There are always the old standby of white w/fine blue stripe. Emphasis on "fine." Like, pinstripes. If the stripes have any width, the shirt may strike some as more like a sport shirt, then a dress shirt.

White with red pinstripes also works.

As for solids, keep 'em pale, if you want the traditional dress shirt look. I recognize that dark green, dark red, dark blue, even black "dress" shirts exist, but as the dress shirt is an inherently conservative garment, these choices strike me as a decided pushing of the envelope.
    --
    Michael

EDIT: SORRY, I JUST NOTICED IN THE ORIGINAL POST THAT YOU'RE NOT INTO STRIPES.

9. Teapot418

Teapot418 Well-Known Member

10. 12345Michael54321

A couple of times, I've purchased shoes which cut into the back of my right foot, above the heel, on the achilles tendon. Just a function of the shape and construction of the shoe, the nature of the leather, and the size and shape of my foot. In both cases, the shoes were, if anything, a little on the loose side, as opposed to tight. Not unacceptably loose-fitting, just not tending toward the snug. With one of the pairs, I was bleeding into my sock (yes, I wore socks) after 20 minutes of walking.

Some Dr. Scholl's moleskin tape on the area that suffered the injury, combined with a few episodes of additional wear, and in one case I managed to break in the shoe, such that the irritation no longer occurs. With the other pair, it just never worked out, and I got rid of the shoes.
    --
    Michael

11. 12345Michael54321

They're also an excellent choice if one sometimes wears a bow tie.

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Quick question... Denim dye is rubbing off onto my tan Filson bag. I realize this wont stop until I give my jeans a good (warm) wash. What is the best way of getting the dye off the bag? Thanks.

13. GrensonMan

GrensonMan Senior member

Looking for some dress shirts that have a collar that stands up nicely and is prominent. My price point is $200 or lower. I hear Thomas Pink collars fit the bill nicely, but they are overpriced IMO.

14. Abe Fadel

Abe Fadel Member

15. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

any of the nicer dept stores like neiman, saks, barneys having sale on men's stuff right now?
    esp shoes and pants
    gonna be swinging by rodeo drive today but did not have time to research who's got a sale if any