1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. boso

boso Well-Known Member

Linen, seersucker, these, airism briefs to avoid swamp ass

2. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

avoiding swamp ass is very important!!!

yea I'm going to get some linen items. sadly can't find cool shoes that are stylish and breathable.

3. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

what jacket is this?

[​IMG]

nvm its apc

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  4. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

J. Crew tends to use Seersucker a lot in the summer months. Don't know about that color though.

5. absolutelyl

absolutelyl Active Member

Hi guys,
    I have a question about reproofing water-repellent outerwear. I own a Norse Projects Nunk and a Fjallraven Greenland. I'm familiar with the reproofing process for the latter (mainly because of the giant step by step care instructions plastered on the interior of the jacket).
    With the nunk however, I'm a little bit unsure about the process. I've read that you should wash waterproof jackets before reproofing so as to remove any oil or dirt stuck in the membranes(?) or something along those lines. The care instructions for the nunk however, appear to advise against machine wash. My questions are:
    1. Is there any kind of Nik-Wax wash and proof like soap that I can use for a handwash of the jacket?
    2. Whether anyone has machine washed (on low spin) the jacket before anyway?

Many thanks in advance!

6. mcfly26

mcfly26 Senior member

Hey guys, Id like to know if does exist a place that receives packages etc, and functions as a proxy/hub for my shippings? More specifically in London. My sister used to get it all for me (im abroad) but shes marrying and she always has to pick up at the post offfice anyway; this way she could go just once. Hope you can understand what Im looking for. Thanks a lot

7. zwyf

zwyf Member

Probably a dumb question, but does anyone have advice on how to get a sweater and t-shirt to sit cleanly like this? I feel like it should be simple but I can't get it right
    [​IMG]

Also, I'm hoping someone a bit more knowledgeable than myself could explain something to me. I bought a tee that is just too long. When I wear it with my apc's it passes the rise and obviously does not look good- it's clear to me that I need a smaller size. However, when I wear it with shorts, it looks fine, if not great, almost as if my proportions have changed. Why does this happen? I know this is partly because the shorts aren't as slim/fitted and sit lower so the tee does not extend past the rise. At the same time I know that even if I was wearing trousers that were like this it would just end up looking disproportionate, so there must be something else. Is it because the t shirt is extending my torso but at the same time because I'm wearing shorts as opposed to trousers my legs are being made to look longer which balances it out? Reason I'm asking this is that it seems there is some basic concept I don't understand working here that would be beneficial for me to know and apply to something a little less basic than a t-shirt and shorts.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  8. masshi

masshi Senior member

What's the cheapest way to ship clothing/shoes in the U.S. as an ordinary and occasional seller (as in somebody who doesn't do this often and doesn't have the connections for $12 two-day shipping that a lot of eBay sellers seem to have)?

I've been using USPS and I've taken some hits shipping since I usually just charge a flat $20 for shipping, but the items usually cost more than that to ship even via the cheapest option (or at least, the cheapest option that I'm aware of).

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  9. shoes can be expensive because of the box / weight. priority can be costly for that, and any slower speed by USPS sucks (can't do first class because of weight). i'd say fedex or UPS ground would be cheapest there. if the clothes can fit in to a USPS flat rate box that's normally what i'd do. for t shirts i stuff them in the USPS priority envelop which is like $6...but whatever, it's cheap enough, gets there fast, has tracking and is more convenient for me.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

How effective would a down jacket with a waxed cotton outer shell be against snow and the elements? I'm interested in a down winter jacket that has oilcloth fabric like a barbour jacket but I'm a little skeptical it will hold up against blizzard/snow/rain in NYC. Are modern synthetic fibers the best way to go despite my love for old fashioned details?

11. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Does anyone know a cheaper alternative to Reinhard Plank hats ?

12. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Should be fine in the snow. Not sure if it will hold up in the rain though. Down is also not good in rain as it loses its insulating properties when it gets wet.

13. bigendiansmalls

bigendiansmalls Member

If it is under 16 oz you can ship for first class for $3-$4 depending on the exact weight. I get bubble mailers 3 for $1 from the dollar store. If you are shipping more it would make sense to order poly mailers in assorted sizes. If it is over 16oz but it fits in a USPS priority flat rate envelope those are $6.50 with 2 day shipping. For the padded envelopes you will have to order them from usps but they are free. A pair of large jeans, or even a suit jacket and pants will fit in the padded flat rate envelope if you are good at packing. It helps to pack them in a poly mailer, then slide the whole thing into the padded flat rate envelope. I believe small flat rate boxes are the same price but slightly smaller than the envelopes Medium rate box will fit most shoes and is $12. There different shaped weight based shoe box that you can pickup from the post office or order for free too. Anything that fits in the box will ship. All of the above prices are when printing the shipping label through paypal, going to the post office will cost more. If you are shipping bulky but light weight stuff you can get free boxes from USPS for non flat rate, or use your own. For parcel select you have to use your own box. It doesn't come up a lot with clothes though because they fit in the flat rate envelopes.

2 people like this.
  14. boozwah

boozwah Well-Known Member

Late on this, but I picked up a pima and a slub cotton crew neck recently. I really like the way the body is cut with the curved hem but the neck hole felt a bit too tight and the sleeves are short and a little loose. Was underwhelmed with the pima which felt thin, but the slub is pretty nice. Not sure if I'm going to buy more or not. Its tough to find good t-shirts with a slightly more modern fit in a reasonable price range.

15. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

Can a regular cotton T-shirt be hemmed shorter if I find it an inch or two too long in length (short guy) but the rest of it fits like a glove? Or it's not going to come out right unless it's done at the factory?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  16. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

hey,

thanks for the feedback! you should probably forward your concerns directly to buck mason's team so they can work on a second iteration of shirts. i wouldnt buy any more since you arent satisfied with them... there are quite a few modern tshirt makers but its a hit or miss with the fit/material. john elliott might be a solid pick

17. boozwah

Yeah I probably will. They seem to be going for a more classic "James Dean" look so the smaller neck opening shorter sleeves is probably intentional. That being said, the neck opening is probably typical for what you find on most crew necks, I just prefer something looser. Sleeves are not that big of a deal for me either. I like the Buck Mason fit more than what I've tried recently from J Crew, Uniqlo, etc, and will probably pick up a couple more in the meantime.

John Elliott looks pretty interesting, but the prices are a little too much for me to justify spending on a t-shirt. I'm really not looking for a luxury t-shirt or anything too fashion forward, just something with a little more modern cut and nice fabric.

18. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

maybe http://sifrsite.com/ ?

1 person likes this.
  19. boozwah

Yeah those look pretty good. I'll check that out, thanks

20. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member