1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

any suggestions for black zipper wallet?

ex. [​IMG]

2. bronamath

bronamath Member

What would be the best way to "flatten" a lambskin leather jacket? There is a bit of a curve along the front chest (by the zipper) that bulges out and doesn't hug my body unless I yank it down consistently. If I could get this to go away, it would be really awesome, thanks for any help
    ![​IMG][​IMG]

3. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

Any thoughts on Cult Of Individuality denim brand? Is it worth the asking price in general? Thanks!

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I am in Canada and have never purchased or been in a Uniqlo. What size would I be in their t-shirts and button down shirts? I am 6'0 and 170 lbs. I am thinking medium?

Also, I am looking at placing an order of around $200 or so from Uniqlo. Is there anyone here that can offer a proxy service for me?

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Could be medium or large, depending on how you're built.

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I would say I'm a medium at most places (i.e. Club Monaco). I can't imagine me being a large unless they run EXTREMELY tapered.

7. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

If you're a medium in club monaco you're the same size in uniqlo

1 person likes this.
  8. matt1985

matt1985 Senior member

Does anyone know if the soles of my boots are repairable?? They're common project arctic boots, and would like to get them fixed as they are one of my faves!

Are the white soles normally concreted on, or glued on?? Not sure how they're attached, they certainly aren't stitched.

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

9. Deyn Man

Deyn Man Member

Newbie question on boots...
    Will be getting a pair of boots and deciding between these:
    RedWing Moc Toes
    FRYE Dakota
    Solovair Monkey Boots
    Looks are subjective but In general, are all these 3 "equals" in terms of craftsmanship, quality, etc?
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  10. ConcreteFiction

ConcreteFiction Senior member

I have handled and tried on several pairs of Frye years ago, but the quality didn't seem as good as the Red Wings I have, so between those two, I would say Red Wing.

I don't have any experience with Solovair, but they look decent and I would guess similar quality to Red Wing, although the monkey boot is a very different style from the Moc style of the RW and Fryes.

So I would go with the RW or Solovair, depending on the style you want. FWIW, I own several pairs of Red Wings and have never been disappointed with the quality of construction and materials at their price point.

1 person likes this.
  11. Deyn Man

Deyn Man Member

Thanks for the feedback! While searching the forum, I came across some feedback on FRYEs and seems some (?) are already made outside the U.S. (China? Mexico?).
    Checking out the RWs now! I think the Solovairs can wait!
    Again, thanks for the feedback!

Update: just gunned down an 8890 RW! Woot woot! Had it shipped to a friend's place in NJ and will wait for him to hand carry it back to Manila!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  12. J1994

J1994 Well-Known Member

Took some measurements of two pairs of denim I have. Can't decide if I'll be better off with slim-straight or slim-tapered by PBJ.

Jean 1
    15 inch waist
    9.75 inch front rise
    14 inch back rise
    10.5 inch upper thigh
    7.5 inch knee
    6.25 inch leg opening
    25 inch inseam (a tad bit too short)

Jean 2
    14.75 inch waist
    9.75 inch front rise
    13.25 inch back rise
    10.25 inch upper thigh
    7.75 inch knee
    6.5 inch leg opening
    26 inch inseam

Body measurements in circumference
    28.5 inch waist
    19 inch upper thigh
    12.75 inch knee
    8.25 inch leg opening
    26 inch inseam

The jeans will mainly be worn with CP lows. Occasionally a pair of chukkas/boots in the winter months (haven't purchased them yet). Would I be better off with a pair of slim tapered (first picture) or slim straight (second picture)? Keep in mind that when the inseam is shortened on the slim tapered denim, the leg opening measurement will increase. I'm looking at a size 27 in each pair. Also due to my short inseam, where my knee would rest would probably be slightly larger than the knee measurement provided below (my knee sits at about 10-11 inches from the inseam, whereas they measure the knee at 13 inches from the inseam down).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I also wanted to ask how Uniqlo t-shirts fit in particular. Most t-shirts end up being too short for my torso if they are even remotely slim.

I have heard Uniqlo t-shirts are slim but I'm just weary if they'll be too short. I'm 6'0" not particularly tall or anything. For the life of me can't understand why they make most t-shirts for guys that are probably 5'8" or so.

14. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

Uniqlo lists measurements for every garment--just compare what you're looking at to a tee you have that fits well lengthwise.

15. wanksy

wanksy Senior member

So I have this prescription glasses I rarely wear, TB 701 by Thom Browne.
    https://www.ssense.com/en-gb/men/pr...ck-thick-frame-tb-701-optical-glasses/1157973
    I was thinking on changing it to a prescription sunglasses. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? It would look exactly like this http://probusnyc.com/collections/thom-browne-sunglasses/products/thom-browne-tb-701a-t-sunglasses

I also have heard lenses that can change color depends on whether there's sunlight or not. However, I've never seen anyone wore one so might be because they are not worth it considering the price of the lenses. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also where do people install prescription lenses on sunglasses in the UK? London or Bristol would be ideal. Won't mind if it's a bit pricey.

16. delluminatus

delluminatus Well-Known Member

I used to have those type of lenses about ten years ago (I was 12 at the time). They're called transition lenses. They took a few minutes to change, so you would be blind when you walk into a dim restaurant from the street. Also they didn't work in cars. Also, you couldn't get them polarized, which IMO is a big downside. Finally, I seem to remember having problems with them scratching easily, and then the scratches wouldn't darken anymore, because the transition coating was scraped off. Of course I was 12 so I didn't take very good care of my glasses.

At the time I thought they were cool as hell, and since I could only afford one pair, they seemed ideal. but I have since switched to having prescription glasses and a pair of prescription aviators which I will whip out if it is a sunny day.

17. wanksy

wanksy Senior member

Finally saw one today and wasn't too keen on it. It looks ridic imho. I followed the guy around (lol), and yes they took quite a while to make the transition. Would get the prescription sunnies instead. Cheers anyway bud.

18. max8176

max8176 Member

19. believe0101

believe0101 Member

I would imagine woven leather to stretch at least a hair. Do you have no-show loafer socks to wear with the size 8's?

20. max8176

max8176 Member

Nope. It's a bit tight to wear no-show socks for the 8. For the 9 I have to wear no-show sock to prevent slipping.