1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. riverflow

riverflow Well-Known Member

I just picked a pair of Cole Haan chukkas off the 'Bay, they should be here in the next week. Reviews said they're comfortable, I like the way they look. They have some nice looking other boots as well. Around $2-300 new, I got them in like new for $55.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

The quality sucks though.

3. bradp

bradp Senior member

on that note i'll throw it out there that my cole haan wingtips are beginning to fall apart too. Has anyone ever tried stapleton shoes in lower manhattan? I find the permanent "once a year sale" signs pretty distasteful, but live a few blocks away and it seems easy to just pop in and try some on. Barring that, other recs in manhattan to go try some better quality shoes on?

4. riverflow

Any idea how long I can expect out of them?

Unfortunately I'm not really in a position to invest in quality at this point in time, being a nearly broke college kid and all.
    The goal is to know what to do with money when I have money to do with [​IMG]

5. ridethecliche

I'd prefer to buy used AE shoes to used Cole Haans. I have bought both. The former last way longer and the latter start to disintegrate after a dozen or so wears. I walk a lot in my shoes though. I've had soles come apart, the welt start to split, etc.

6. riverflow

Any other suggestions for a cheap used pair? I'm still needing a pair of brown oxfords.

Edit: Is there any difference in Aldens based on who they're making it for (BB, JCrew, etc)?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  7. JjasonL

JjasonL Senior member

how are tanner goods' belts? im contemplating ordering one in saddle color to wear with my pbj denim..
    do they fit tts?

8. ridethecliche

Just the specifications for the shoes.

Made in italy cole haans are great.

9. guitar2013

guitar2013 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll check it out.

When you wear boots with pants, do the boots stay nicely under the pants? I don't like the calf too big that it penetrates the pants and show everyone that I'm wearing boots :) Usually my preferred way to wear boots is that other people don't know you are wearing boots until they know the "shoes" you are wearing cover all your ankle.

10. tcln1456

tcln1456 Member

I'm looking for some light outwear suitable for a Midwestern autumn. I was thinking about a quilted jacket from Barbour or this or an olive parka. I'd be pairing this jacket with blue and gray OCBDs, Gustin Super Heavy and RgT Dark SKs, and CBDs and RW Beckmans. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be a quilted jacket if you think something may be more suitable. I'm currently on a college campus if that helps.

Budget is $200-300

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  11. Skatenc123

Skatenc123 Senior member

When i wear boots with pants I've never had somebody say something about them unless i cross my legs. But sometimes if I'm wearing light weight chinos they get caught on the speed hooks and pull weird or red on top of them for a second while walking. Id also check out Alden and Allen Edmonds for boots along with Crockett & Jones. There is a ton of good information on sizing depending on lasts in the different threads.

12. hennree

hennree Senior member

13. JSAN

JSAN Senior member

^It's legit

1 person likes this.
  14. Olga Mets

Olga Mets New Member

15. masshi

masshi Senior member

was hoping somebody could've answered this

preferably on the cheap side too :(

16. rayrayray

rayrayray Well-Known Member

How many shoes should you have in your wardrobe? For my end game, I really only want 1 allen edmonds because I don't like the upkeep of a pair of dress shoe (shining), 2 pairs of boots, 1 LL bean boot for winter and 1 pair of converse sneakers for those mega casual days. Would this be enough? Or do I have to get like 3 pairs of allen edmonds?

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

This is going to vary for every person.
    If you wear a suit to work, 1 pair of dress shoes is not enough. No, they all don't have to be AE's.
    If you wear casual clothes to work/school, 1 pair of sneakers is probably not enough.
    Etc.

Since you included sneakers in the footwear number, i probably have appr 60 total.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  18. rayrayray

rayrayray Well-Known Member

Can you explain how red wing's moc toe boots aren't real moc toe boots? Could you also recommend good moc toe boots ?

19. tkfriend89

tkfriend89 Member

Hi all,

I've done some reading, but I can't seem to find a consensus on this:

Is it ok to wear black casual shoes with jeans?

I just got the pictured shoes, and don't know if it's ok to wear with medium - dark colored blue jeans ( specifically Levis 508)? Any help would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

(repost, just realized there was an ask a question thread on this forum)

20. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

They are a certainly a real moccasin toe, but not a "true moccasin", meaning that the leather does not wrap underneath the foot, but rather that it is lasted like a traditional western boot and given a moccasin style toe.