1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Quack

Quack Well-Known Member

Any hightops similar to the Saint Laurent SL / 01H at sub $250?

2. Merk

Merk Member

Guys I need some help on a Slim Fit Plain Black Suit (2 piece) - I can't find anywhere to buy it at a reasonable price (£150, I'm a student). I need a suit that's like the one in the image below, preferably from a store where I can actually try it on (I don't really want to order online). I'm from LONDON so please keep that in mind when telling me to go to an American store, haha.

The suit: [​IMG]

Please help, would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

3. bradp

bradp Senior member

The quality won't be very good, but you could try topshop.

1 person likes this.
  4. Merk

Merk Member

Thanks for the reply Brad.

I've already checked Topman, I don't really like the suits they offer as the black one has three pockets, which I don't like. Also it's £100, so I'd rather spend another £50 and get a decent quality suit - I'm really only going to wear this for a freshers ball so It doesn't need to be a Burberry suit :D

5. iceman45cal

iceman45cal Member

your best bet might be to go to a bunch of thrift stores or consignment shops and try and find a decent suit there. you can try them on and You could get very lucky. You could pick one up very cheap, plan to pay a tailor to adjust another $50 to $100 or so and it could be much better quality than whatever you can buy new for $150. The problem is that a $150 new suit is just not going to be very good regardless of the intended purpose... ps.. I was poor in college so I know the deal. Borrowed ties from friends and went to thrift stores to find a couple things. my advice for what it is worth. Buy quality items that don't go out of style and you will save a lot of money in the long run, buy quality and it will last for many years. Buy stuff on ebay and thrift stores in new condition at half off or more. I recently lost a ton of weight and had to replace my whole wardrobe. I could have done it at retail but I did it on ebay, discount outlets and thrift shops at a fraction of the cost. also bought stuff from member on here...several of which have ebay stores... suggest you do the same when you. best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  6. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Slaters is probably the cheapest place for suits - they do a mixture of cheap own brand suits and better discontinued stock. The quality isn't great on the cheaper stuff, but better than Topman and they'll do free basic alterations in store.

M&S is worth a look - their basic suits aren't great quality but they're not awful, and their dearer suits can be picked up in sales cheaply. Next stuff is generally pretty grim, but the suits aren't too bad - worth a look on your budget.

1 person likes this.
  7. jwagner2718

jwagner2718 New Member

I'm attending a wedding this October in Northern California. Currently I have one suit in my closet, a J Crew brand Ludlow suit in heather charcoal, and one pair of black dress shoes, Allen Edmonds brand Park Avenues. The rest of the outfit is what I am looking for help with (pocket squares, shirts, ties, etc.). The suit has been professionally tailored and as far as how I look, I am a white male, blonde, blue eyed, tall, and lean.

Looking forward to suggestions, I appreciate it.

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Traditional wedding tie (glen plaid or something) and a white linen pocket square. Done. :nodding:

9. Johnny5

Johnny5 Senior member

What's the take on Buttero boots again? Eyeing on their FW 2014 hiking boots but unsure of the quality. Read somewhere that someone bought a pair a while back, opened the shoe box and straight away sent back for refund because the leather looks like plastic?

10. stafa

stafa Senior member

Looking for sub $300 chelsea/side zip boots? I want a sleeker last similar to SLP

11. Grove

Grove Senior member

Hardshells have different fits depending on the activity they are designed for and if meant to be worn with/without middle layer/insulation. SV is a bit roomy for fashion IMO so probably better choosing a Trim Fit jacket but if it's for 'outdoors' I'd suggest going TTS.
    Arc'teryx website has details and their customer services are also really good if you need measurements.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. riverflow

riverflow Well-Known Member

13. Merk

Merk Member

Thanks for the answer bro. I'm not "poor" (I know what you mean by the expression), it's just the fact that I've spent a huge amount on clothing and other essentials such electronics - I'm starting university soon and I had a wardrobe clearance so you can imagine how much I ended giving away. I have the money to buy a better quality suit however it will effect my ability of spending during the first weeks of University, until I get my finance and my parents give me money (I had to quit work coz i'm moving away).

I have a summer ball as well, which I'll probably get a nice, high-quality suit. I just need one for this freshers ball.

14. Merk

Merk Member

I've looked at M&S, couldn't seem to find a plain, okay quality one though.

I just googled Slaters, they don't seem to have a store close enough for me to visit (closet one is like 100 miles).

Thanks for the answer.

15. Grove

Grove Senior member

TK Maxx may be worth a look.

16. ryanw2050

ryanw2050 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Anyone know where I can snag a nice belt like this? Sub $150 preferably.

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I grew up in Kingston, and have brothers in Toronto and Ottawa. Layers and accessories are your friends. Any brand will work. A down vest under a wool coat that blocks the wind will be fine. The important things are gloves and a warm hat, as you know. Veillance layered will be fine. Stone Island might work as well.
    Doesn't matter. Bimetallics are big right now anyway.
    Try the tailoring advice thread.
    Try something like a simple Valextra band. Or something like Want les essentiels de la vie.
    Try Equus Leathers. They are an affiliate, so look for the link to their thread in the right hand column, or :) just use search if you are on mobile. There is a member discount. It's called a Sam Brown, btw.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

How are moc boots in the wet/snow/slop? Looking to pick up a pair of winter boots that I can wear out. Or I could just keep wearing tims...

I've seen them made by eastland and the like. These are from oak street bootmakers:

[​IMG]

19. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

As a style they are fine, but I will say that Oak Street uses super thin Chromexcel on those boots and the tongue is not gusseted. I would look elsewhere. I used to live in Boston and I'd recommend Red Wing; even though they aren't a true moc, you'd be a lot less upset about them getting ravaged by dirty slush or salt.

1 person likes this.
  20. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I might just stick with the tims for now if that's the case. I wanted something work-boot esque that I could get away with wearing to work now and then (biz cas is okay). I guess I can leave shoes at my desk and change from tims. They've taken a beating over the last few years and still work fine.