1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. lostintranslation

lostintranslation Senior member

Hey guys,

This might be a stupid question, but how do you get the crease in trousers like the following photo has (stolen from SF user Crats)?

[​IMG]

2. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

...ironing...

1 person likes this.
  3. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Buy them with them. They're pleats and come on dressier pants.

4. mljs54

mljs54 Senior member

I need a recommendation of where to get a good casual (for jeans and chinos) leather belt in NYC. Want something that's ~35mm in brown leather with a traditional style buckle. Thanks.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

No, those are just pressed into your trousers. You don't iron them in, you press them. And pleats are a different thing.

Take your trousers to a dry cleaner, and they can press them for you. If you want, you can also try pressing them at home. There are tutorials online, if you want to look around. Simply though: you take a press cloth, put it over your folded trousers, and press them in. The key is to press, not iron, because if you iron your trousers, you will create a shine.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

That's interesting. It's possible to iron without the shine result though. Or is this particular to wool?

7. dieworkwear

I like the darker brown pair, personally. The color is more versatile, and being a blucher, I imagine it might be better for you. Most men chose oxfords - where the eyelet tabs are sewn into the shoe - but don't wear suits enough to justify them.

FWIW, neither of those are particularly well made. They use really cheap leathers. Have you considered maybe something like Russell Moccasin's camp moc? Same kind of style, and while the leather isn't fantastic, I think it's a slight upgrade in quality. They make them custom through their site, and have them ready to wear at Sid Mashburn. $150.

Knit ties with a triangle end are fine.

No, they don't work with tuxedos. Try plain black toe oxfords or formal pumps. The simplicity of your tuxedo calls for a simple shoe.

AEs can often be found for not too much money on eBay, but frankly -- a lot of their line is poorly designed. Try searching for Ralph Lauren shoes, but stick to the stuff that's made in the USA, England, or Italy. Also stick to stuff made with a Goodyear welt (stitched on sole), originally retailed for $350 and above, and doesn't have any logos on the uppers. RL makes a wide range of quality, so when you can't feel the shoes in your hand, you have to go off of identifying markers. That said, if you're willing to wade through the muck that is RL shoes on eBay, you can sometimes find a pair for about $100 to $150. One way you can cut through the chaff is to do an advanced search for:

Ralph Lauren (England, Italy, USA, benchmade, handmade)

Then click "descriptions and titles," so it searches for Ralph Lauren, and any of the words in those parentheses. You'll get a better search result that way, as it'll weed out most of the crap.

I've always been impressed with how The Flat Head's denim fades.

http://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=392

3XXX is their signature denim. If you Google around, you can see how it ages.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. dieworkwear

It's more the case with wool, but I wouldn't iron cotton or linen trousers either.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Note, throwing steam into your trousers like that is very controversial. A conversation for another day, but if you're interested, you can search for JefferyD's posts on the CM side of the board.

9. S0meGuy

S0meGuy New Member

I only own 1 pair of jeans: These [​IMG]Black 511s by Levi's.
    I don't know what pair of jeans to buy next but im thinking of these: [​IMG]Levi's 511 Slim-Fit Rigid Dragon Jeans, is this a step in the right direction?

10. Bartleby Trout

Bartleby Trout Senior member

Thanks so much for responding. Really appreciate the help from you guys. While I have the will to put clothes together in an aesthetically pleasing way, I don't always have the skill.

Michael

11. nomed

nomed Senior member

Is it possible to have tailor alter an oxford collar to a straight collar or any other kind of collar that's not a button down.

12. nomed

nomed Senior member

And add collar stay pockets

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

14. shacme

shacme New Member

What Air Max 90 colorway is most versatile?

15. accordion

accordion Senior member

What kind of jeans have a silhouette that can match stephan schneider and margaret howell tops? Something that's wide around the thigh but tapers a bit like trousers? Is there a Japanese or just a workwear brand that makes those cuts? Would the same be okay with EG also? Thanks.

16. Bartleby Trout

Thoughts on these Christian Dior shoes? I have read that a black lace up is a MUST for most men. Would this shoe fall into that category? I'm thinking business casual to street dressy? Thoughts and opinions would be awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*added front

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Those look pretty good, but it's hard to tell without a front profile.

I think they'd be fine for CM-casual and would be okay for many SWD fits, but I think slightly more casual ones would be a better inbetweener.

1 person likes this.
  18. Bartleby Trout

Just added another photo. Thanks for responding. My main use for these would be work (business casual setting) and the occasional night out.

Would these be a better choice (more suited for an in-between shoe)
    [​IMG]

19. Bartleby Trout

I do have one followup question. Regarding these:

[​IMG]

I very much enjoy the vintage-like look of these, but I'm unsure if they would look ok with anything but jeans and chinos. Would they look very odd with a pair of dress pants? I would steer clear of wearing them with a suit, unless someone with better style-eye thinks otherwise.

Much appreciated, gentlemen.

20. Hunty2312

Hunty2312 New Member

This might seem like a petty question, but my prom's coming up later this week, and I have my suit all prepared. However, the suit was initially a grey patterned two piece suit, with blue tie and pocket square. I found a nice waistcoat in blue, and I personally think it goes well with the suit itself. My parents strongly disagree. Do you guys think the look could be pulled off, or would it be better to just go in a two piece? I'll post pictures some other time, is anyone feels they're needed.