1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. seer

seer Senior member

I like this look. Classy!

2. RahulJAG

RahulJAG Member

thanks so much, you helped a lot!!!

3. Shoefish8

Shoefish8 Member

4. seer

seer Senior member

No problem, you look sharp! Just remember, style over fashion. Your suit with the bow tie will never go out style. Neither would it with the straight tie. You are on the right track. It does my heart good to see young people dress so well...

5. kwanon

kwanon Senior member

How much flexibility should I have when wearing a sport coat? I'm working on altering one now. The fit is good while standing and the fabric is smooth across the back and shoulders. My only concern is that if I reach my arms straight forward it gets taut almost immediately. I understand I'm not going to be doing jumping jacks in this thing. I'm definitely OK with sacrificing flexibility for fit while wearing a jacket. I'm just trying to get a handle on how much flexibility is normal.

6. RahulJAG

RahulJAG Member

I am having trouble with how to style my hair, I am going to shave the day before the event, and I would prefer to keep my hair long, but do you think a George Clooney type hairstyle would suit me, and if so what kind of hair product do I buy to style it like that.

Thanks again

7. Shoeliker

Shoeliker Well-Known Member

RahulJAG: RE the navy suit with the bow tie: looks great.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Shoeliker

Shoeliker Well-Known Member

I hesitated to reply to your post, but your budget has increased a bit since I first saw it, and that reinforces my initial reaction.

I have never (I don't think) regretted spending a little extra on something that was just what I wanted and that was superior quality, even though it was a little more than I originally wanted to spend. I have, however, sometimes been sorry I compromised my standards just to save a few bucks.

The Alden Leisure Hand-sewn Penny Loafer in Burnished Tan in the second site you listed are beautiful, and over the life of the shoes the extra expense will amortize out to just a few dollars per year. You won't even think about it in a year.

9. RahulJAG

RahulJAG Member

Thank you, one more quick question do you reckon blue gingham shirt and blue bow tie, or purple gingham shirt with purple bow tie??

10. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

11. patagonianwild

patagonianwild Senior member

Some upscale quality longsleeve floral shirts anyone? Been looking at EG, Needles, Niche and Gitman and they all have shirts that are close but no cigar. Anyone else?

12. amathew

amathew Senior member

Some important background:
    a. I have a physical disability where I walk with a limp and my lower body stability/strength isn't "normal".

I recently got a Sacai bomber where the body was in cotton and the sleeves were made of nylon I had to go for a
    doctors appointment this morning so I decided to wear it for the first time and walked the three miles to the office.
    On my way back, I tripped and fell on the concrete sidewalk, which left some small scrapes on the left sleeve. It's
    NOT torn. I just wanted to know if anyone had suggestions on how to repair scratches on nylon? What about a tear
    in nylon?

Thanks in advance

13. badgalgigi

badgalgigi Active Member

Hi all!

I'd like to get some opinions from some of the style savvy members on this forum! Accidentally posted this in the "Classic Menswear" section and got chewed out by some assholes, haha. Recently I ordered a pair of Acne slip-on sneakers (photos from store attached). The style is pretty much the simple and classic slip-on look. But the color is quite energetic, which is what attracted me to them in the first place. They were on sale for $234, but I still feel a bit uneasy spending that much on a pair of shoes that I'll just be wearing everyday. I know bright colors are very "in" right now in fashion, but I'm unsure if they will look gaudy in a couple years or even less. So my question is: will these go out of style in a couple of years due to the bright color? Or will they still be a "acceptable" in later years so as to justify the price? What do you guys think? I wouldn't wear them as presented on the model, but I guess it just gives a reference point for how they would look since I have a similar build to him.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. badgalgigi

badgalgigi Active Member

Patagonianwild, how upscale are you trying to go for? There are some great floral print shirts from Dries Van Noten, Prada, and Raf Simons that I've seen on sale. Although if you aren't looking to go super high-end, there are more affordable yet nice options. You could check out Mr Porter

15. ML594806

ML594806 Active Member

They are very likely to go out of fashion pretty quickly, and I'm not much of a fan of this design to begin with. But it's very personal. If you liked them I don't see why you wouldn't wear them regardless of whether they are "in" or not.

16. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Exactly. Who gives a shit what is "in fashion". Wear what you like, when you like. If this is a concern of yours then you should either not buy them or recognize the fact that style is personal.
    If it were me I would rock the shit of them until they fell apart.

17. patagonianwild

patagonianwild Senior member

Thanks for your reply! Yeah sure, Dries/Prada/Raf sounds good to me. Any links though? All i've been able to find is a nice one from Dries, but it's short sleeve :/

18. badgalgigi

badgalgigi Active Member

Yeah, most of the ones I've found that are not hideous are short sleeve. I guess the punchy florals are more "appropriate" for spring/summer. I actually saw a few long sleeve floral shirts from Zara, which are nice. I know it's far from high end, but they get the job done. It might be better to allot a bigger budget for more "classic" shirts, anyway. Hope that helps!

1 person likes this.
  19. pablofresh22

pablofresh22 New Member

20. hkl16

hkl16 Member

does anybody know what this is? it looks like a small circle felt sewed on the underside for the collar button. seems like all jcrew shirts have this. do i keep it on or cut it off? thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014