1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. sdpappy

sdpappy Member

My previous job required me to wear black suits/black shoes. New position allows me to wear other colors. From browsing the forum the past few weeks, learned that charcoal and navy would work better, along with some brown shoes.

I'm thinking about getting some allen edmond strands for the shoes in either dark brown or cordovan.

For the suits, I pretty much have cheap suits that I find on sale. No JosABanks but I'm pretty sure anything under $200 on sale is probably not the best quality. I don't have an unlimited wardrobe budget so where are some nice places to get suits in charcoal and navy?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Thanks!

2. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Cheaney doesn't, but you might find their shoes discounted at random times from various retailers.

3. Overlord

Overlord New Member

Oh come on. -_-

Well, yes, the button does look weird indeed. What are you trying to say, though? As guitar2013 said, are you trying to say that I should wear it with the button undone or, that I shouldn't and that I should probably discard it? Either way, please don't be that hard on me, I am new to this as that's literally the first vest I have ever bought in my entire life. I have worn a nice two piece suit a couple of times, and still do continue to wear it quite often, but, that's the first vest I have ever bought. I wanted to wear it casually, with some sideline formal features such as the dress shirt. But, I can assure you that it looks much better with the button undone. -.-

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. hennree

hennree Senior member

Anyone washed their MMM GAT laces before? Have any problems i.e fraying?

5. Louys

Louys Senior member

Alright then, maybe some more constructive criticism is in order.

As a rule of thumb with jackets, then fastening the button or buttons causes the fabric to create an X pattern the jacket is too small. Rather the fabric should lay flat. Your vest is an extreme example of this telltale sign of a poor fit. From that criticism alone it would seem that the best option would be to buy the same vest in a larger size. I would advise against this. The vest looks like two random pieces of cloth were sewn together, that is to say it doesn't look like a vest. I don't mean any snark by that. I just have never seen a vest that does that weird double layer thing and I'm sure many others haven't either. Now that I have seen it I don't like it.

Personally I don't like vests worn without suits. It flouts convention without improving on it. If I was you I would look for some other type of clothing to layer over my shirts, perhaps a chore jacket like epaulet's Doyle jacket or a light bomber like No Man Walks Alone's Valstar jackets.

However since you are asking about vests I assume you like vests and will not be easily persuaded to pursue some other look. If that's the case try to find vests which fit you, where the fabric drapes smoothly (no wrinkles and no obvious strain at the buttons) without looking boxy. To get such a fit you will probably need to pay up front or find a decent alterations tailor. Look for vests made to be worn as separates which don't have a different fabric at their back. Vests are made with different fabrics when they are intended to be worn with a suit and the back fabric (often the cheaper and more breathable of the two) will be hidden. Finally try to find more interesting materials than plain back cloth. I don't mean obnoxious patterns, I mean better fabrics, fabric that feels nicer, is more durable, and so on.

As a side note, look for shirts without monograms on the pockets.

6. guitar2013

guitar2013 Well-Known Member

This is more constructive [​IMG]

I do agree that the vest is too tight for him. I see many wrinkles on the left and right of the button. Unfortunately I used to make the same mistakes. I mistakenly believed that it would look cool. Now I know I used to be viewed as a fashion amateur.

I am not against wearing vest over a shirt. I think that is more personal. Of course the shirt + vest have to match with pants and shoes and other accessories. Your comment does make me think twice about deciding whether to wear a vest with a shirt though.

Do you know any good brands for vest/waistcoat (I assume they mean the same)? I tried JCrew but the material was awful imo.

7. Shoeliker

Shoeliker Well-Known Member

Thanks, ManofKent. I'll keep my eyes open and saving for the ones I really want.

8. Dilldis

Dilldis New Member

Hello, new member here. I just received a new pair of AE Sanford's and the stitching is protruding past the sole. Is this normal or acceptable? Thank you In advance

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  9. Billy Chaw

Billy Chaw Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy some shoes (WANT TO BUY) but don't know where to post better.. So where can I post a "WTB THREAD" better in this forum? (WTB seems can't post any new thread now..)

Thanks!

10. Overlord

Overlord New Member

Ah, I see, I will heed your advice. No, no, me liking vests doesn't mean that I don't pursue other looks as well. I want to dress dapper, just like you, however, considering the fact that I live in the Maldives, a country which has a tropical climate and is too bloody hot all the time, I don't have any other option but to dress lightly most of the time. Furthermore, outfits like vests and others which are affliated with the dapper style are not available in most of the shops and malls over here due to the reason I mentioned above, although however, I could possibly get my vest decently altered by a tailor, that is of course, if I were able to find a decent shop that sells vests and buy one which perfectly fits me. About shirts, I will do look for ones without 'em monogram. And, thank you for the constructive criticism and spending your precious time on an amateur like me, I appreciate it alot.

11. bradp

bradp Senior member

12. Louys

Louys Senior member

No problem. If you live in the Maldives I'd recommend shying away from what you call the dapper look. It was developed on a continent that needed something completely different out of its clothing than a resident of a tropical island would. Hence why there are no good outlets for such clothing in your malls. Instead consider this a golden opportunity. People in tropical climates have a distinctive way of dressing well while dressing light. Instead of layering focus on the fit and quality of your clothing while adding interest with the accessories that would be necessary to such an outfit. Consider some light colored chinos (I mean shades of tan and white, not turquoise blue) and linens shirts to start. I recommend epaulet for the pants and Kamakura for the shirts. Add on some sunglasses, and with a belt in a lighter perhaps even brighter shade of brown. Equus leather would be good place to look for the belt. I'll leave shoes up to you. As long as you ensure your clothes fit well you will still look dapper, just in a manner more appropriate to your actual context and not the advertisements of fashion companies which amount to lifestyle masterbation. I encourage you to use styleforum as a guide and not a rulebook for learning the fundamentals of fit and quality as well discovering your own stylistic preferences. It will take time and you will make mistakes that will cost you money but if this is what you want I know of no better place on the internet. Welcome to SF.

13. Billy Chaw

14. Billy Chaw

Anybody reply ..?

15. bertie

bertie Senior member

Seasonal appropriateness typically depends on texture and colour and weight. Those Drake's challis could work. I have challis some from Sam Hober and they are light enough and not fuzzy at all to work. Other than silk Shantung, you might also consider the Atkinsons Irish Poplin from Sam Hober as they seem prefect for summer and come in a range of colours.

16. brinks

brinks New Member

New member question. I'm having a serious debacle with the fit of shorts across the board. I have large thighs and a hefty bum from all my years of hockey, but now buying pants/shorts is forever a problem. My main issue is with shorts and whenever I sit down, extreme pressure is placed on my groin Currently I have a few paris of Bonobo's and JCrew shorts (the stanton 9in), but none of them relieve the problem. They fit a little loose in the waist (both brands are 33's). Both fit fine standing and such, but sitting is miserable. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

17. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Can anybody comment on how Wang (mainline, not T) and Philip Lim bottoms fit?

I generally wear tagged 34's. Measuring more like 35-36 though. Is a 50/L probably right?

18. NeedForTweed123

NeedForTweed123 Senior member

Does anyone know where to buy high quality but not super expensive ghillie brogues? By not super expensive I mean no John lobb prices. I'd prefer to stay around the $300-400 range.

19. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

Looking for some lightweight hoodies that are very thin.

20. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member