• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Ecco

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good 'gym bag'. However i'd like something with good compartments.

Spending more money on clothing means i'd rather not stuff my clothes into the same bag as my gym gear (which is washed after each use btw).

Though carrying two bags, or a hanger etc is not as convenient. So I am thinking of something which has compartments of some form.

Keep the gym gear in one side, possibly zipped?, while your denim, chinos, shirts etc can be neatly folder and placed into the other side etc.

Suggestions for a suitcase are not needed.
smile.gif

An Everlane backpack seems like it could do the trick. I use the inner laptop compartment for my gym clothes or shoes if I have the room. They're like 60 bucks too and are waxed cotton that's waterproof. Otherwise GNC and places like that sell multi-compartment drawstring bags for pretty cheap.

mr usneun

Reaction score
Did Acne change the sizing in the last months? I bought a "used" (4 times used in fact) max raw in size 30/32 and it was just too small around the waist. now i ordered a 31/32 and it's way to big. does not fit at all?

Ecco

Reaction score
^If you can get all of the buttons up on the 30/32 then keep them; because they're raw they will stretch out an inch to an inch in a quarter in the waist and fit you like a glove. This is only if you can actually button them though. Now if the problem is in the actual crotch itself then I'd say you might need to find a different fitting jean.

adamt

Reaction score
It's not as much about color as it is about fading and details. The True Religions you posted have obnoxious back pockets and an ugly, unnatural fade. You'll want something with subtle or no details; Levi's are fine, but since you seem to have the money for stuff like True Religion, look into a brand like APC or 3Sixteen, who make denim with very minimal details. The result is a cleaner, better looking, more "grown up" looking jean. Alternatively, check out the "What Are You Wearing Today" thread on here. A lot of guys post the brands that they're wearing, so if you see something you like, you can look into it more that way as well.

Washes can be done well, but it would be better for you to go with something minimally processed (no fades). Find a brand with details you like, then look into their washes to see if they offer a "raw/rigid/rinse" colorway, which is just dark blue without fading. A decent pair of this kind of denim goes with most things. People on this board like gray/white/black too, but you should probably start with a dark blue pair first.

Since it seems like you're just starting out with this stuff, I'd recommend you take some time and read a site like putthison.com. Check out the articles in the links on the right side of the page. They do a web series and they had an episode on denim in their first season; I'd definitely look into that just to get some good basic knowledge on this type of stuff.

thanks Edward,

i tried that site but its not valid?

Here are the seven pairs of jeans i have, too many i know, so could you point out which jeans you think i should sell on ebay and which are worth keeping, if any?:
Most are regular straight leg and one or two bootcut, and one is labelled bootcut flared, they vary in leg length/waist, but my usual waist is 30-32" and leg 32-33"

bare in mind im 27, and with the jeans wear chukka boots or boats shoes, both dark brown, and a casual shirt (vertical stripes, flannel, checked, OCBD plain's)
These jeans are all different shades of blue:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

6)

Please say which number jeans are not suitable or advised for a 27 y/o with my shirts/boots/shoes

If you could show a pic of jeans you recommend to replace these with i would really appreciate it.

Also would you say 3-4 pairs of jeans is sufficient in a 27 y/o's wardrobe?
- i also have 3 pairs of chinos: -stone/beige, navy and mid-dark gray

Thank you

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your approach to "style" is kinda ridiculous, go read everything on effortless gent instead of browsing this forum

EdwardB

Reaction score
^ Yeah, I agree that it might be better for the guy to lurk/not post for a while and find a few basic sites that offer the knowledge that he's looking for, but it seems like he's just interested in looking presentable, not necessarily to develop a personal style like people on this board. Yeah, this might not exactly be the right place for that, but I've been a dick to people for years on various message boards and helping people out with simple **** like this is a weird way of trying to make up for that.

ANYWAY

1, 3, and 6 look ok (1 is definitely a more casual wash though). Don't ever wear bootcut. Straight is ok, but you should spend about $20 and take them to a tailor and tell him to (use these exact words) "taper from the knee down to about a 7.5" leg opening." Different people have different preferences, but this seems to be a decent middle ground; I've found doing this tends to make straight legs much cleaner looking. A lot of people on this board like really small hems and wear their pants extra long so that they stack, but you seem like the kind of guy who's going to wear this stuff in a business casual kind of way, so I'd probably get your jeans hemmed to little to no break, which will make them look a little cleaner as well. Not sure how long you wear pants normally so this might seem a little short to you, but it usually looks pretty good.

How many jeans you own is dependent on your lifestyle. If you just wear them on weekends, 1 or 2 is alright. I wear jeans every day and I only rotate 3, but they're higher end stuff. A lot of people just wear one pair of high-end jeans every single day.

I don't care for chinos of any form. If you like them, I'd get them hemmed/tapered the same way as the jeans, otherwise they tend to look really frumpy/weird business casual.

The gold standard for "good" jeans is the APC New Standard, which look like this:

Crisp dark wash and they fade a little over time. They look pretty slim but they actually fit most people quite well, provided that you size correctly. Not the "best" denim, but good fit, reasonably priced for decent denim (a little under 200) and pretty easy to find online.

For lower end, Levi's are pretty fine. You seem like a relatively slim guy based on your pant size, so check out 511, 513, and 514 (a lot of department stores carry all three, so just go to the one nearest you and try them all on and see which one you like best). Pick a clean dark wash like the APCs if you go this route.

I would recommend you check out this board's "denim beginner's" thread if you have any more questions about this stuff, the guys there are pretty knowledgeable and you'll get more/better answears:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/55144/i...ers-ask-questions-here/19100_100#post_6205673

Last edited:

adamt

Reaction score
i didn't realize light wash jeans were not a good look, now i know i will sell jeans 2, 4, and 6

i will ask on that thread any further questions if i have any

thanks edward

Hype1234

Reaction score
Might want to flip those jeans around for pics just in case there are any bejeweled true religion pockets hiding

Last edited:

EdwardB

Reaction score
...yeah he actually should. adamt, if any of the three jeans I mentioned as being ok have weird back pocket detailing, get rid of them.

You should really just buy a pair of APCs and call it a day.

adamt

Reaction score
i'll get some pics up of the rear view later,

the only concern i now have is whether my chukka boots and boat shoes will go well with dark shades/wash jeans?:
as i though these shades of brown footwear would go best with mid-light wash blue jeans

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any good places/brands to get a decent white Henley? (Crew neck not V neck)

I was looking at American Apparel but the material is too thin so my nipples show lol

mr usneun

Reaction score
^If you can get all of the buttons up on the 30/32 then keep them; because they're raw they will stretch out an inch to an inch in a quarter in the waist and fit you like a glove. This is only if you can actually button them though. Now if the problem is in the actual crotch itself then I'd say you might need to find a different fitting jean.

I could yeah, it was just the biggest button on top that made me worry.
I will send the 31s back and reorder them in 30.
thanks!!

effang

Reaction score
Where can i get this leather jacket?

[ATTACHMENT=5688]406299_10151287405287124_1533260769_n.jpg (170k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adamt, for the 3rd time, just follow the goddamn link I posted (I'm TRYING to help you
teacha.gif
)
Regarding the shoes, the first pair is ugly, the second pair is not anything special but I know a lot of people like them so

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads