1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. NeedForTweed123

NeedForTweed123 Senior member

I just thrifted a navy blazer and tweed sportjacket that are both Brooksgate. Does anyone know if Brooksgate is fully/half canvassed or fused. I can't tell myself.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'm guessing fused. It's a lower end line from years past.

3. NeedForTweed123

Should I return it then?

4. ridethecliche

Why? They sound like they were inexpensive. If they fit, I'd rock them.

Fit trumps a lot of the other stuff and you shouldn't fall victim to the idea that everything fused or half canvassed is shit. It might even be half canvassed, for all I know.

Regardless, if it fills a void in your closet, fits well, and looks good, then I'd keep. I've got a few jackets like that which I'll replace when I find something better, but they're perfect till then.

5. NeedForTweed123

Yeah only a total of $50 for both. One is a navy blazer and the other is a gray herringbone tweed. I bought them because I am young and do not have the money to go full bespoke or even mtm at this point but needed something versatile and solidly constructed for when the situation arises. I just feel some regret because I know that fusing is awful but honestly don't have enough experience wearing tailored clothing often enough to know the long term effects for myself. That's why I just get hung up on what the experienced people say about fusing vs canvassing. That said, they do fit well.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  6. ridethecliche

Sounds like you answered your own question.

7. NeedForTweed123

I guess I did. I also picked up a seersucker Ralph Lauren suit on the cheap that I figured I could use the jacket & pants separately or together in the summer and am assuming that is fused as well. But I know seersucker suits are generally cheap and was unsure if most are fused or if it should also be canvassed?

8. ridethecliche

I am jealous of that find. I've been looking for one.

9. NeedForTweed123

It was a pretty good find. I only bought it because it had the details I wanted, specifically high rise pants with cuffs and pleats and interior suspender buttons. I know these things are usually frowned upon but I find high rise pants much more comfortable and elegant, especially with suits. Unfortunately, the pants are way too wide in the leg, would a tailor be able to slim them down to an appropriate size without much difficulty?

10. ridethecliche

Cost will depend on where you are, but yes not too costly. About 20-30 dollars depending on location and tailor, that's my best guess.

11. NeedForTweed123

Great. It's not too difficult is it? There aren't really any exceptional tailors in the area so I don't want the pants to be ruined, but they are unbearable as of now.

12. personone

personone Active Member

SLIM (not skinny) PANTS

1. Passing fad or here to stay? I don't want to buy pants that "fit" to replace them next year.

2. Should I wait to "bulk up" before buying slim pants or... buy them now and grow into them. I guess I answered my own question, but skinny guys wearing slim pants look odd right?

13. NeedForTweed123

What kind of fabric is this?
    [​IMG]

14. Hobbiest

Hobbiest New Member

Oops, wrong forum!

15. personone

personone Active Member

Uh, chain mail?

1 person likes this.
  16. NeedForTweed123

Its actually the fabric of my navy blazer. I've just never seen it before.

17. Ariiam

Ariiam Senior member

Can anyone recommend me some navy pleated drop-crotch trousers? Prefably not over $50 but could do up to $100

18. ilijancho

ilijancho Member

I recently bought a pair of Sutor Mantelassi's from Vente Privee for around 140 pounds. I just received the shoes and have noticed that one has a slight defect, namely one of the eyelets on the left shoe is unevenly spaced (see picture below). Should I return them or should I just ignore it (tbh it doesn't bother me too much).

I'd appreciate it if someone could also tell me from which of SM's lines the shoes are as I am sure they are not of their higher lines. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. lyysander

lyysander Active Member

I'm pretty new to the realm of dressing well/stylishly and don't have any pants that aren't of the corduroy or denim variety so I really want a nice pair of wool trousers to add some more texture and weight to my wardrobe. I'm incredibly short (5'4") but not terribly skinny, was thinking of looking for something slightly tapered, but not too slim. You all dress phenomenally well, so I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions? Was hoping for under $200 (on that student budget!) Thanks!

20. Staticbolt

Staticbolt Active Member

Can venetian shoe cream be used on say AE park avenues? What about a cheaper shoe like a Clarks Roar?