1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. GBR

GBR Senior member

The purposes have a purpose and it is not show. Don't tuck them in un less you want to appear an ostentatious nerd.

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Don't lose any sleep over it. There's just a lot of teasing on this forum.

Generally, one wears a boot instead of a shoe when you want to keep yourself warmer and drier. Think of Chelsea boots as warmer dress shoes. :)

3. konda

konda Senior member

When someone shoots you down hard in the dressing up game, it's the most effective way to develop an eye for working combos. This way you learn the definite nonos. It's not teasing. It's hard mentoring. You have a long ways to go but the beginning is always somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

The height of the boot is largely for ankle support and keeping out dirt and water, it doesnt effect warmth much unless they are lined.

Ps. Those arent chelsea boots, they have a zipper, chelseas have side elastics.

5. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

nvm found

6. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

oops, wrong quick questions thread. Please disregard.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. loarbmhs

loarbmhs Senior member

Re the pocket squares...start off with the basics: white, cotton or linen. Be sure to figure out in advance how big a square your pocket can accommodate. Personally, the standard 17", in linen, is way too big for my pocket and causes it to bulge out ridiculously. On the other hand, a 12" cotton or linen works well for me.

As for Banana Republic chinos, don't really know.

8. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Can anybody recommend a brand and/or style of dress shoe that is a pretty simple, high shine black lace-up?
    I'm looking mostly at derby and oxford styles, I'm not up on the terms used for these kind of shoes but I want a cap-toe, non-brogue.
    Things I am currently looking at are these.
    http://www.mrporter.com/product/378534
    and the CP derby shine (though I'm wary of the fit as it seems they wouldn't stretch like achilles', and I need all the stretch in the toe box I can get for those to be comfortable).
    Ideally some of the Mr. Hare shoes are fucking awesome but too much. I'm looking in the 200-300 range. thanks.

9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Rock your socks pants and shoes threak will give you a steer, read through for black offerings. Not likin those you linked to. But that's a personal thing

10. AAJJLLPP

AAJJLLPP Senior member

11. frenchtutor

frenchtutor Member

Can anyone recommend me a few stores that have straight leg jeans that are tapered from the knee down? Not from Levis or Topman and I don't mean slim straights.

It is incredibly difficult for me to find this fit. Any help is appreciated

12. OccultaVexillum

Thanks guys. So is an Oxford what I'm looking for? What's the diff between Oxford - Bulcher - Derby?

13. OccultaVexillum

You may want to check out the Rogue Territory "SK" fit.

http://www.rogueterritory.com/product-category/skinny-leg/

Don't be fooled by the "skinny leg" link. They are actually pretty comfortable in the waist and thigh, just with a more aggressive taper than the Stanton. I actually can't wear the SK but it sounds like what you are looking for.

14. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

An Oxford is a closed lace shoe. A Derby or a bulcher are in fact the same thing, and they are open laced. Take a look at something such as the Loake Aldwych. Notice how at the laces, the leather is one piece, that's an Oxford. Now look at the Red Wing postman. Notice at the laces how it's two pieces coming together and they are not joined. It's a Derby.

Oxford's are inherently more formal than derbies.

15. frenchtutor

frenchtutor Member

Awesome

Even the models displayed have my fit, thank you

Any other suggestions?

16. OccultaVexillum

No problem. The RT made good quality stuff. But I just saw that you are new here and since you mentioned Topman and Levis I feel like I have to ask - Are you familiar with raw denim? cos these aren't going to be the same size as something from Levis, generally speaking.

17. OccultaVexillum

Thanks. That makes more sense. I've always though it had something to do with the cap toe.

18. masshi

masshi Senior member

apc new standard might work

19. volchok

volchok Senior member

[​IMG]

Brand of this watch ?

20. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Seriously? It's one of the most iconic watch designs and you can read the logo even. Solid gold Rolex sub with date. You can probably find the reference number with a bit of googling.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014