• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

yohan23

Reaction score

What looks the best?
I like it to zip it up to the top, but maybe it bunches up too much?

yohan23

Reaction score

What looks the best?
I liked it zipped up to the top, but maybe it's al little too bunching up?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wasn't there a huge discussion in the baller boot thread about how reversed leather isn't the same as typical suede?

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I think there is a difference between suede and reversed leather. Reverse leather is just the flesh side (rather than outer skin side) of the hide. It has a natural nap to it. Suede is often made of this reversed leather, but it has to actually be distressed to become as nappy as it is—in other words, to become suede. You can get a sense of the difference (if I'm understanding this right) on these CdG loafers, which feature both materials: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...LDER<>folder_id=282574492817466&bmUID=iMx.fwN

but by all means someone should correct this if it's wrong

Last edited:

pstoller

Reaction score

Reversed leather is another term for suede.

Not quite. Reversed leather, or roughout, is a full grain, flesh-side-out leather (too scarred to use grain-side-out). It has the same strength as other full grain leather, but has a nappy finish that tends towards coarseness. By contrast, suede is split so there is no grain side: it hasn't nearly the tensile strength of full grain leather, but its softness gives it a fabric-like hand more suitable for certain types of garments. Nubuck is made from the same quality leather as roughout, only the grain side is out and sanded/buffed to create a much shorter and more uniform nap than roughout. So, nubuck looks more like suede, but wears more like reversed leather.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does outerwear from the following brands fit?

-Garbstore

-Universal Works

I'm finding different answers online, thought you guys would know. Thanks in advance.

Jason Hartono

Reaction score
best pair you can get under US$ 300, preferably fade result,heavyweight,and slim straight(LO =~7.5") ?

thanks

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I'd prefer wool, or something equally as warm, and another color besides black. I have too many black jackets/coats as it is.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'd prefer wool, or something equally as warm, and another color besides black.  I have too many black jackets/coats as it is.

Not that it's at all the same jacket, but their is a toj chesterfield for sale in B&S that I think would work really well for you and the price is a steal.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3dials

Reaction score
Which shoes should I keep (all three are on their way here)? All are same price ($65).

Decision Factors:
  • Versatility (not going to wear with suits, but more for color matching opportunities)
  • Durability (Samabas last a while, but it seems like the canvas Tretorns are mainly summer shoes, not year-round)
  • Comfort - Having never owned shoes from these brands, I wanted to get a feel for what would be good walking shoes for casual outings.

The Candidates:
  1. J. Crew Tretorn Nylite in Flannel color with leather laces (came with white laces as well); Canvas.

2. Adidas Samba in Light Gold/Beige; Suede

3. Adidas Samba in Lead Chalk (model G49429); Suede.

Last edited:

jm22

Reaction score
I've been looking for a basic (i.e. minimal design), beige canvas high top sneaker for less than $150, like Cons or PF Flyers do but without the annoying badge (I don't like badges or logos on the shoe itself). I've looked at various sites - Asos, Endless, yoox etc and can't seem to find one. Finding this has proven a bit harder than I thought. Any suggestions?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what shoe this is? I need this in my life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads