Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. GlueReed

GlueReed New Member

New member, first poast :)

Looking for shoes similar to this http://www.zappos.com/dr-martens-triumph-1460-8-eye-boot-dark-brown-harvest but preferably made somewhere other than China. I'm a fan of the strap on a boot, but it can just as well be at the ankle positioned a little higher up. I'm just trying to take some more chances and branch out a little bit with what I wear and I figure adding something like that to a shoe may be understated enough. Or maybe some affordable ($150ish) desert boots to look at? If there's nothing that I can find that's made in the USA/Europe/Japan for a similar price, that's cool and I'd be willing to save up providing that it's not too outta this world.

2. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Wait cdhagg aren't you in college? Why the heck are you using a dry cleaners for stuff that isn't dry-clean-only?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  3. Miran2

Miran2 Senior member

CDHagg had a maid, you see...everything was hand-washed after single wear, and came back air-dried, steam-ironed and scented with Santa Maria Novella orange-blossom linen freshener...
    but last week, she went on strike..."Mr C.D., I on stRRRike!!"...so now, everything is going to the cleaners...

4. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I have a shirt that's been dirty for a month because I don't want to drive to the cleaners [​IMG]

5. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

I thought hagg was in high school

6. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

I am in college, but I've found that I can't get my "dress shirts" looking good with a washer/dryer/iron. Especially for broadcloth shirts (ironing them just removes the big wrinkles, but they end up feeling and looking like crackly tissue paper).

7. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Hm. Sounds like either you're a. unskilled with an iron or b. have really cheap shirts (my guess). Save the $5/shirt or whatever it costs and buy something a little better? CKC dress shirts are still only $30 on yoox. Though I think a uniqlo oxford button-down or two would improve your looks a lot, also only $30.

[​IMG]

8. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Haha yeah, maybe I am unskilled with an iron. More likely, though, the starch that they use at the cleaners is what makes my shirts look great.

And actually, most of my shirts aren't super cheap... not Loro Piana or Thomas Mason quality, but the ones I wear most are MTM with pretty solid construction - although I do have a couple of white broadcloth shirts with very thin fabric (contributes to the crackly tissue paper problem). I'm actually going to NYC for a gig in May, and was hoping to visit Uniqlo while there. Are Uniqlo shirts particularly good-looking in your opinion?

9. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I haven't tried them, I've heard good things though. The only shirts I've had that ironing problem with were from H&M or Marshalls (Ben Sherman) but maybe it's just a weird fabric.

10. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Haha, I just realized that this is the Q&A thread... [​IMG]

So, as long as I'm here... Q: What are some good stores to visit while in NYC? Doesn't have to be the cheapest of the cheap, just not Hermes or Tom Ford prices. Is there a dedicated thread about NYC stores that I can read?

11. Miran2

Miran2 Senior member

CDHagg, if you need advice on New York City, Tween_spirit is the person to ask...I believe he lives there, plus he is generous and will assist you...also perhaps bows1...
    Perhaps you can have a mochaccino with them during your visit?

12. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

I´d pay top dollars to see a CDHagg + Bows + Tweem NYC meet up.

13. dmash

dmash Senior member

Hahaha +1

14. demizzle

demizzle Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts about tailoring cheap button down shirts? I have a few GAP button downs that looked nice and costed me $30-40 and I'm thinking about whether it's worth getting them tailored so they fit better. They fit the chest/shoulders well but I like wearing them untucked so the length is a bit long and it's a little baggy in the stomach area. It might cost me 20-30 bucks to get that fixed up... which seems like a lot considering the price of the shirt...

Thoughts? Go easy on me, I'm a newbie here!

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Depends on your cash situation. If you're still a student and don't have a nice income, it's a great idea. Even a well-tailored cheap shirt can look good. Don't feel like you have to spend a lot just to dress well.