• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are these OK as a fit for regular fit denim? They are a German make called "Brax" and although they feel fitted around the waist and seat, they are loose everywhere below, and at the front this starts from the area near the fly. I have been wearing fitted jeans so I'm not used to seeing loose areas around the front of back of my jeans. The good thing about these is that despite being a straight leg I can also wear them with boots. I'm still considering whether to return them.
You will see they are a different colour in the two different photos. The second is more accurate.

TBH, I cannot tell the difference between what you have on and a pair of chinos. There is no real shape to that cut of denim. I think they're too loose.

Hey all - I'm looking to make an investment in a versatile wool coat / jacket that will look good, keep me warm, and serve me well for several years. Something clean and classic would be nice. I'm more interested in value than concerned about actual cost (willing to lay down some dime for the right coat).
I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria:
-For casual city wear. Will only be worn with denim, usually with quality brown leather boots.
-Not a peacoat: I already have 2 nice old kersey wool peacoats
-Gray or navy
-button closure
-around 31-34" inches long or so (about the length of a size 40 Barbour Beaufort, or a bit longer, if that helps) that covers the rear but stops well short of the knees.
-don't want a cropped coat with a waistband
-don't want a long coat or top coat (too dressy, annoying to sit and drive in, generally not as utilitarian as I'm looking for with this jacket)
-preferably with vents
-will consider lined or unlined. My priority is to find a quality wool shell and the right cut.
-I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs and wear a size 40 suit (but will never wear this jacket with a suit)
Years ago as an undergrad, I wore and loved the J. Crew University Jacket because it was warm, easy to wear, had generous pockets, and looked somewhat respectable. I'm essentially looking for an "adult" version of that coat, if such a thing exists. Better quality, better construction, but equally versatile and utilitarian.
Any suggestions or ideas where to start?

I see somebody else recommended a duffle coat, and I would second that. Look at the ones on LL Bean.

rexet

Reaction score
Hi all,

I found a really nice cotton blazer in navy but I can't decide between two size.
The smallest size looks great but when I close the first of the two buttons it is a bit (just a bit) to tight.
On size above is ok but I can feel that my shoulders are not embraced enough.

The seller told me to take the smallest size since the cotton will strech a bit to finally perfectly fit my body. According to him this a brand new cloth and it will soften by wearing it and the size would be perfect after few worns.

What is you opinion. I am used to get by raw jeans to strech but what about a 100% cotton vest?

Thank you.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

I'm interested in this jacket. Can anyone give me more information on its age, fit, and quality?
Listed measurements (I don't really trust them, so would like more information on fit) are:
Chest: 36"
Length: 30 1/2" (from top of collar to bottom of jacket)
Shoulder to shoulder: 16"1/2
Sleeves: 24" + 1" room to make longer (From shoulder seam to end of cuffs)
Does this seem like it would have looow armholes?

Do not buy that, you're going to look like a civil war colonol. To more directly answer your question, it looks like it's from the '80s.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking into getting a pair of Japan Blue by Momotaro JB0701, was hoping the final waist would stretch out by 1-1.25" and thigh by 0.5" after wear so I could size down, is this possible? Also, how much does inseam shrink after hot soak and/or cold washes? I currently wear 30.75" inseam (after cuffing) and thinking about getting a 32" inseam, is this enough to account for shrinkage and an 0.875-1" cuff? Thanks!!

SLeiber32

Reaction score
I just bought a new pair of Sperry A/Os and the leather is pretty dried out from sitting in the box for a while I presume. Is it safe to use Bick 4 leather conditioner on them or will it ruin the leather? I want them to get a nice beat up look, but not for the leather to dry out and rip/tear

Sean9

Reaction score
Hello my friends, was really hoping for some help with this search!
So, I'm looking for some alternatives to these Undercover boots. Does anyone have any ideas?

I know there's a pair floating around on the sufu/sz marketplaces but they're far too large and I really haven't seen them otherwise in a long while. Looking for something to fill the void. Thank you!

Dylan Mays

Reaction score
What are some good American and European made clothing brands available in America? I'm trying to get away from the "made in china" stuff, even if it is a semi-decent name.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
What are some good American and European made clothing brands available in America? I'm trying to get away from the "made in china" stuff, even if it is a semi-decent name.

Practically everything on this forum. Lurk around for awhile you'll see.

lite108

Reaction score
Which shoes for spring/summer should I choose:

$50 Vans from Jcrew

or

$44 PF Flyers

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup, pretty much everything on SF (at least, everything in MC) is made in America/Europe. The brands that make their stuff in China aren't considered even "semi-decent" most of the time.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, hello...

Anyone know the best way to guard MMM GATs against the elements? The right suede guard, leather guard, etc. (especially ones that won't ruin the other material). That would be awesome.

nineohtoo

Reaction score
Has anyone worn those CDG Shirt x Generic Man wing tips? Curious on their sizing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads