Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

First off, if you have lots of tall relatives, but you aren't very tall yet, then you will probably outgrow clothing in a few years. For instance, don't expect to be wearing that $400 pair of oxfords five years from now-even though a good, gently treated pair will still be in good shape by that time. The same goes with clothing, and especially suits. If you buy a high-quality, full-canvassed suit right now that is a size too big, you might be thanking yourself a couple of years down the road once you've grown a little more. But, on the other hand, if you buy expensive and high-quality clothing that is a little large right now (hoping to grow into your wardrobe), but then your fashion tastes change before you grow very much, you will end up getting rid of clothing that never actually fit well; in other words, your economy in purchasing too-large clothing will have been completely pointless.

When I was 16, I bought a tux shirt that had too-long sleeves, so that I could grow into it. It looked rediculous, but I was trying to save money. I didn't grow an inch over the next couple of years, and ended up getting rid of the shirt before it actually fit me (oh, and btw I am not much older than you). So, buying big didn't help me. I decided that I didn't like the shirt before I grew into it.

A few months ago, I bought a pair of To Boot New York captoe oxfords-dress shoes, which I also wear with jeans a lot. I got them on sale, and spent about $150 on them (vs. $250, I think). Not over-the-top expensive, so I can afford to replace them in a few years if I outgrow them (supposedly, guys continue growing until their mid-20's, so it might happen). Also, since they are a fairly stable article of clothing, I don't have to worry that they will look dated in a couple of years.

In summary: if you still have growing potential, take that into account before you drop big bucks. Since you are young, like me, your fashion tastes will change rapidly, so don't drop bucks on casual shirts, jackets, jeans, or anything else trendy (save the money for a couple of high-quality suits and some well-made oxfords or bluchers). Oh, and never spend a lot of money on one brand at one time. Hard experience has taught me that.

2. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Alternatively, one could be like me who hasn't grown a whole inch since 14, but still a hair over 6' so not like I'm short. It was a sad day when all the short kids started catching up...

4. mrk_d

mrk_d Well-Known Member

Anyone have some ideas for where to find socks that are suited towards winter use with boots? I just copped some Sunny Sports socks at Context and am looking for something similar (think White Mountaineering), but hopefully a little cheaper.

I like the Two Feet Ahead socks but I didn't see any in stock at e-retailers - any leads or other recommendations?

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

Stop by Costco, 71% merino wool socks made in the USA

Pack of 4.

Guess the cost
    $9.99+tax

6. mrk_d

mrk_d Well-Known Member

Perfect.

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Thanks.

8. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

Which brand of oxford is actually slimmer? Wolf vs goat or BOO? Which brand can be wear in untucked and tucked in?
    *Height is about 1.72

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

9. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Is it a bad idea to wear leather jackets during the winter? Not sure how it is affected by low temps and/or snow.

10. sexonfabric

sexonfabric Senior member

Seems to work ok for cows...

11. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Yep if you can replenish your leather jacket with nutrient it works fine during the winter :foo:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

12. iroh

iroh Senior member

was thinking of maybe getting the common projects achilles low, what color should i get

black
    brown
    navy
    grey
    white

and why?

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The question strikes me kind of funny because I live in a place where the winter is the only time it's cold enough for a leather jacket.

14. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

That's probably equivalent to my fall and spring. Winter here can get down to 0F or lower and includes snow. So I don't know if the extreme temps would damage the leather, or if the snow would (two separate issues here).

15. berightback

berightback Member

any labels that sell slightly elasticated cotton t-shirts?
    bought a Raf Simons 1995 t-shirt from thecorner sale on a whim and I really like the material, its 47% Cotton, 47% Modal, 6% Elastane
    100% cotton t-shirts usually fit me kinda weird but this one fits great due to being a combo of tight/stretchy, was wondering if there are any others like that out there that arent just undershirts