Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

just saphir it (or any other polishing cream) and brush it, it should slightly blend in and look better

2. ToledoStyle

ToledoStyle Senior member

Hey does anyone know where a guy can buy (online) some nice Denim hangers? I know they don't sell any specific ones for it but nice ones that work well with denim lol

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Why are you hanging your denim?

4. ToledoStyle

ToledoStyle Senior member

I have like 15 pairs of quality Raws I like to cycle through. Granted too much to get a lot of use out of but I enjoy certain pairs once and awhile. Wanted a good way to store them.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

5. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Fold them. They won't get creases unless you iron them after folding and they won't fade unless you're rubbing them together. If you're really concerned about creases, fold the legs up at the knee, fold the waist over, then fold in half. And if you're really stuck on hangars, just get something cheap because it won't really matter (though you may actually get more fading with hangars)

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

[​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]

worn with a grey suit and black captoe

appropriate?

7. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Where are you wearing the suit to? Pocket square looks too spring/summer for this time of the year, and I don't think they would go well with black shoes.

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

formal/informal occasions. trying to get my MC on.

mainly not sure what to pair the tie with as I think the tie itself can lend to a grey suit and black shoes. want to find a less subtle PS for the match.

9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Formal/informal? That doesn't answer much. I wouldn't wear a knit tie to a formal event, especially a skinny one. When in doubt, go with a white pocket square.

Unlike most MCers who will say that a pair of black plaintoes are a must, I really think black oxfords and bluchers are hard to coordinate. I have one just to have one, only wore it 3-4 times just to break in the leather sole.

I've never been a fan of loud pocket squares, most of mines are in one color with minimal pattern/design. The loudest one I have is a purple silk in paisley pattern. I wear that casually with no tie.

From the posts I've seen of yours when I'm browsing the board, it seems you want to have a SW&D side and a MC side as well. This is pretty much where I'm at. One side I have ToJ leathers, and the other I have TaT suits. One side is for Alden shoes, the other is for MMM/Lanvin sneakers.

Not to knock on you, but pace yourself. I feel like you're only buying the cheapest items you can find and 'fill up' your wardrobe as fast as possible. This is where I was at about 2 years ago and regretted it severely. Most of the stuff I got for cheap, I rarely wore if at all. I understand some pieces cost money, just save up.

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I am very trigger happy right now, looking for stuff to buy.

My wardrobe actually shrank a lot after I graduated university. Now trying to slowly build it back up. I actually do not own any real SW&D clothes anymore, majority of my wardrobe being MC with MTM shirts.

ATM, i just want to coordinate some ties+PS and save up for other things.

Was actually considering buying another suit, but I want to maximize my utility of my current grey suit before experimenting with another.

And I currently only own 2 pairs of dress shoes both being black. Thinking about picking up some AE Strands in walnut, or saving up for some boots. I actually much prefer boots to lowcut shoes in general.

Basically, trying to get some last minute basics to round out my current wardrobe and then halt the shopping a bit.

I appreciate your help and honesty!

11. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Clothes will always be here. Just pace yourself and I'm sure as you climb up the ranks, you will have more disposable income.

Before having a 'decent' (still crappy pay) job, I couldn't see myself even dropping $220 for a pair of Red Wings so I would get cheap Timberlands from Macy's for a fraction of the cost. When Banana Republic would have that 40% off 1 item at retail, I would go nuts. I spent a good amount trying to make the pieces fit, what a waste of tailoring fee. Fast forward 2 years, I gave away most of the clothes to someone else who would actually use it. I am essentially building from zero again. Sorry for the long rant, but I wouldn't want you to fall into the same mistake and regret it in several years.

If you want AEs, check out Nordstrom Rack or wait until when Nordstrom has their sales. My first pair of 'nice shoes' were a pair of black AE wing tips. I didn't know there were multiple lasts and squeeze my feet into a very sleek fitting last that was too small for me. 2 weeks later, $200 burned because I couldn't keep on wearing them, haha.

This was before I joined the forum, and my help was the monthly GQ magazine. :embar:

12. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I almost fell into the BR/Gap trap, but fortunately with this site and the many discounts online, I found things for a lot better quality at a good price point for me.

Both of my black shoes are used AE I got off eBay. They still look great, just needed resole+cleaning. Still cost me well under $100 in total for both. However, I am having a similar experience as yours. The first pair I bought is starting to hurt the sides of my feet with long hours of wear. Kind of biting the bullet and hoping it will stretch a bit more over time as I have only worn them a handful of time. But it seems from reading the forums, I will not expect too much.

I have already gone through the cycles of purchasing and losing/winning on certain buys with my history on this forum, which is why now I am asking more questions (it seems) and taking my time before buying something. More so, I am taking a closer look at store return policies :happy:

This has been something I think about too much I have noticed. Clothes! So, I am making a last effort to fill in some holes (not trying to go cheap) and then saving up for things later on.

13. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Quick question...I'm a 46 in MMM's, would a UK10/US11 in Lanvin be pushing it, fit-wise? I read Lanvin sneaks run bit, but probably not that much bigger.

14. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Crossfit

I recently made an online purchase from the Hipstore in the UK for 850 USD, but my Visa ended up being charged about 910 USD. Has this happened to anybody else? I've bought from Tres Bien before and had no issues with exchange rates or anything...

15. D Z00

D Z00 Active Member

First post, love the site.

Anyone know what happened to like.com? I used to like shopping with its visual search engine. Any similar sites out there?