• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Guys, I need a lot of help I think.
I was out earlier and (don't ask me the actual physics of it cause its a bit hard to explain), but a door closed on the back of my 3 day old new boots. It caused a fairly deep scrape in the leather the shape of a triangle pointed down (it kind of scraped downwards). The base of the triangle is probably 2 inches wide... and around 1-1.5 inches tall.
Does anyone know how this can be repaired? Will applying a lot of shoe polish fix this or should I take it to the cobbler?

just saphir it (or any other polishing cream) and brush it, it should slightly blend in and look better

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why are you hanging your denim?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Fold them. They won't get creases unless you iron them after folding and they won't fade unless you're rubbing them together. If you're really concerned about creases, fold the legs up at the knee, fold the waist over, then fold in half. And if you're really stuck on hangars, just get something cheap because it won't really matter (though you may actually get more fading with hangars)

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
22462.jpg

+
anders5.jpg

worn with a grey suit and black captoe

appropriate?

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

22462.jpg

+
anders5.jpg

worn with a grey suit and black captoe
appropriate?

Where are you wearing the suit to? Pocket square looks too spring/summer for this time of the year, and I don't think they would go well with black shoes.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
formal/informal occasions. trying to get my MC on.

mainly not sure what to pair the tie with as I think the tie itself can lend to a grey suit and black shoes. want to find a less subtle PS for the match.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

formal/informal occasions. trying to get my MC on.
mainly not sure what to pair the tie with as I think the tie itself can lend to a grey suit and black shoes. want to find a less subtle PS for the match.

Formal/informal? That doesn't answer much. I wouldn't wear a knit tie to a formal event, especially a skinny one. When in doubt, go with a white pocket square.

Unlike most MCers who will say that a pair of black plaintoes are a must, I really think black oxfords and bluchers are hard to coordinate. I have one just to have one, only wore it 3-4 times just to break in the leather sole.

I've never been a fan of loud pocket squares, most of mines are in one color with minimal pattern/design. The loudest one I have is a purple silk in paisley pattern. I wear that casually with no tie.

From the posts I've seen of yours when I'm browsing the board, it seems you want to have a SW&D side and a MC side as well. This is pretty much where I'm at. One side I have ToJ leathers, and the other I have TaT suits. One side is for Alden shoes, the other is for MMM/Lanvin sneakers.

Not to knock on you, but pace yourself. I feel like you're only buying the cheapest items you can find and 'fill up' your wardrobe as fast as possible. This is where I was at about 2 years ago and regretted it severely. Most of the stuff I got for cheap, I rarely wore if at all. I understand some pieces cost money, just save up.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am very trigger happy right now, looking for stuff to buy.

My wardrobe actually shrank a lot after I graduated university. Now trying to slowly build it back up. I actually do not own any real SW&D clothes anymore, majority of my wardrobe being MC with MTM shirts.

ATM, i just want to coordinate some ties+PS and save up for other things.

Was actually considering buying another suit, but I want to maximize my utility of my current grey suit before experimenting with another.

And I currently only own 2 pairs of dress shoes both being black. Thinking about picking up some AE Strands in walnut, or saving up for some boots. I actually much prefer boots to lowcut shoes in general.

Basically, trying to get some last minute basics to round out my current wardrobe and then halt the shopping a bit.

I appreciate your help and honesty!

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clothes will always be here. Just pace yourself and I'm sure as you climb up the ranks, you will have more disposable income.

Before having a 'decent' (still crappy pay) job, I couldn't see myself even dropping $220 for a pair of Red Wings so I would get cheap Timberlands from Macy's for a fraction of the cost. When Banana Republic would have that 40% off 1 item at retail, I would go nuts. I spent a good amount trying to make the pieces fit, what a waste of tailoring fee. Fast forward 2 years, I gave away most of the clothes to someone else who would actually use it. I am essentially building from zero again. Sorry for the long rant, but I wouldn't want you to fall into the same mistake and regret it in several years.

If you want AEs, check out Nordstrom Rack or wait until when Nordstrom has their sales. My first pair of 'nice shoes' were a pair of black AE wing tips. I didn't know there were multiple lasts and squeeze my feet into a very sleek fitting last that was too small for me. 2 weeks later, $200 burned because I couldn't keep on wearing them, haha.

This was before I joined the forum, and my help was the monthly GQ magazine. :embar:

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I almost fell into the BR/Gap trap, but fortunately with this site and the many discounts online, I found things for a lot better quality at a good price point for me.

Both of my black shoes are used AE I got off eBay. They still look great, just needed resole+cleaning. Still cost me well under $100 in total for both. However, I am having a similar experience as yours. The first pair I bought is starting to hurt the sides of my feet with long hours of wear. Kind of biting the bullet and hoping it will stretch a bit more over time as I have only worn them a handful of time. But it seems from reading the forums, I will not expect too much.

I have already gone through the cycles of purchasing and losing/winning on certain buys with my history on this forum, which is why now I am asking more questions (it seems) and taking my time before buying something. More so, I am taking a closer look at store return policies :happy:

This has been something I think about too much I have noticed. Clothes! So, I am making a last effort to fill in some holes (not trying to go cheap) and then saving up for things later on.

Last edited:

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question...I'm a 46 in MMM's, would a UK10/US11 in Lanvin be pushing it, fit-wise? I read Lanvin sneaks run bit, but probably not that much bigger.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
I recently made an online purchase from the Hipstore in the UK for 850 USD, but my Visa ended up being charged about 910 USD. Has this happened to anybody else? I've bought from Tres Bien before and had no issues with exchange rates or anything...

D Z00

Reaction score
First post, love the site.

Anyone know what happened to like.com? I used to like shopping with its visual search engine. Any similar sites out there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads