Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. cinnabonny

cinnabonny New Member

Hi guys,

Pretty new to denim/jeans, I've done some googling and found this site and some useful threads, but I still have a few questions.

I'm 5"5, about 135-140lbs with 23" thighs, 27.5-28" waist. I can wear (and prefer) some slim fitted jeans, and after some research I decided that Levi's 514 would probably be best for me and my wallet. I just have a couple questions about the 514's that could use some clarifications:
    1. Will they fade/distress well? (I'm talking about the Raw Headbanger Rigid, Tumbled Rigid, and Rigid Selvedge versions) http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=373013 I checked out some of the older threads regarding this cut, and the reviews are pretty mixed.
    2. If they aren't that great, what other beginner denim jeans would you recommend for a person with my build? (Budget is around $100)

All help/tips would be appreciated, many thanks!

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

Rugby has student discount of 15%

3. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

Haha, I was just checking out their sales today so these popped into my head when you asked.

4. LPatterson

LPatterson Senior member

Anyone have any recommendations for some decent washed grey denim? Looking for a fit similar to N&F WGs (with a normal rise) or 3sixteen STs.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Can't vouch for the other two, but for the price, I really like these. Mine take a beating (and my indifferent washing machine) and still look nice. The only caveat is, if you're around 5'9-ish like me, they might look a little long untucked.

You might also try Charles Tyrwhitt; they offer slim, great-looking shirts that come out to $40 if you purchase four:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/mens-shirts/mens-formal-shirts?q=gbpdefault|||||||||||||||

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

6. JosiahS

JosiahS Senior member

You're the same height as me. Still haven't found a decent budget brand that makes not-too-long button-down shirts. Got any suggestions?

7. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

uniqlo.

8. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

What is the actual feel in difference between 6, 8, and 12 ounce cotton. Examples of each might help.

9. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Lands End Canvas in a small runs nice and short in the arms & overall length.

All of the mall brands ( banana, jcrew, etc ), run very long in the sleeves, even in size small. ( I feel like a Jcrew small has a 34" sleeve! )

Josiah - you should consider tucking in your shirts. It's really a cleaner, more professional look that I've started to do more often.

10. wazza888

wazza888 Member

Thinking about buying a pair of ankle boots online but not sure of the sizing. Do boots come 1/2 or 1 size bigger or true to size. I'm a EU 44 which could be a UK 9.5 to 10 or a US 10.5 - 11. Should i get a EU 44 or down 1 to 43. Thanks.

11. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

44EU is an 11US/10UK. 43.5 would be the half size, though half sizes aren't often made/available. If you are between, I'd focus more on width than length. Unless it's cramping your toes, the length is generally less important. It should also be noted that not all companies/lasts fit the same so what you're used to as a 44EU may be a 42EU or 46EU in another company's shoes

12. wazza888

wazza888 Member

Thanks KitAkira, wasn't expecting a reply so soon. Looking at the black Missoni ankle boot at Yoox.

13. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

suggestions for a multi use backpack? need it for biking to the swimming pool and getting groceries

functional, good material, not sporty looking like a gym bag (nylon, plasticky looking), guessing something canvas or waxed canvas

14. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Senior member

Whoever wanted grey jeans, I love RRL slim fit rigid grey, they can be had on ebay for 110-140. Awesomely soft, made in US.

Slim fittting oxfords...you should also try out J crew slim fit....I got a couple from the outlet and they fit nicely. About $40.

Cinnabonny, with that waist, it's going to be hard to find Levis that fit isn't it? I'm a 29 waist and the 29 is a bit loose. 514s are probably right for you....why don't you just try the cut on? Levis are pretty easy to find in stores.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

Anybody know if Jil Sander jeans bleed? I've worn my pair a few times with darker shoes, want to wear them with walnut/light brown brogues but don't want any bleeding on my AEs. They are not raw, but they did have the bleed warning tag.