Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. outsidetown

outsidetown Member

I'm after a harrington and don't really want to cough up £125 for a baracuta. I've heard alright things about Merc jackets and found a good deal on a burgundy one, but I've read they fit small. I've got a 42" chest and am 6'3" - I'm thinking XL?

2. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Quick question, what fashion stores are must visit if you live in San Francisco?

So far I've only been hitting Zara and Westfield there. Just discovered Unionmade goods too.

Thanks.

You should check out Acrimony and Self Edge. Also, it can't hurt to check out Barney's.

3. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Thanks, so it's the lightweight aspect that was one of the key attributes? Anyone else care to elaborate?

Actually, most of the higher-end chambray is pretty heavy. But it is a durable material that looks good IMO.

4. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

Do F+B boots fit TTS? Im a 44 in Margiela Hi's, 43 in Margiela boots, 43 in CPs, 43 in most dress shoes etc. Should I kop a 43? All sizes (and half sizes) are available so I'd like to get the right one

I only have experience with one of the boots and I forget the model now (from 1-2 seasons ago) that I got from Barney's and I found it fit TTS for boots. I am a typical US 8 in most boots and I ended up getting the 41 and they fit like a boot typically fits. A little extra room in the toe but no heel slippage with thicker winter type socks.

For reference I am a 41 in CP and 42 in MMM.

what's the deal with ordering from caliroots to the US? sf approved?

Search the name in the forum and you'll see some reviews. I avoid them and I'm located in the US. They don't deduct VAT for US customers (which they should) and I don't like the negative experiences I've read from other members either.

5. harryfabian

harryfabian New Member

Hello Everyone!

I'm excited to finally be a member of this forum, as there have been some questions/concerns regarding particular jeans that have caused me much frustration. Although I imagine this issue has been raised on several occasions, my slim and mild stature has posed a hindrance to my being able to find an equally well-framed fit. I also have a set style in mind; one which was once popular, but now seems to have faded into non-existence. What happened to jeans with pockets that fit directly over the buttocks? It seems as though the norm for years has been a pocket which either starts under the cheek, or extends itself into the back of the leg. I believe these to be unflattering on any wearer.

With that said, I found a pair of Levis 531 jeans in a used clothing store which were the closest I have ever come to a more classic jean; the type of jean worn by Martin Sheen in Badlands, Marty McFly in Back to the Future, James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause. Unfortunately, my regular wear eventually took its toll and they have since fallen to pieces. It turns out that 531 jeans are incredibly rare, as I've done an extensive search with nearly nothing turning up. My waist size ranges from 28-30, depending on the jean and I stand at 5'7. From what I can tell, there are posters on here that seem to have a good understanding of a more traditional sensibility, and I'd really appreciate any suggestions/advice on jeans that may fit my requirements. As I mentioned before, I'm looking for a jean with pockets directly over the buttocks, a slim (but not ex-girlfriend skinny) jean that has the choice for shorter inseam. Its hard to believe that these jeans were once the norm, as they seem to only exist now in supposed "high-end" design houses with falsified fades, rips and adornments. What brands/companies, if any, make this cut? Thanks a lot for reading my long message and I'll look forward to a dialogue on this. I really appreciate it!

- J

6. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Does anyone know where I can snag this Undercoverism jacket in size 2?

[​IMG]

7. Alfa159

Alfa159 Senior member

Does anyone have the measurements for the Wings + Horns Loop Terry Hoodie (the fairly new version) in size small or xs?

8. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

I'm planning to have a tailor make tapered suit pants. I'm skinny. The leg opening will be 19 cm/7.5 inch and my question is what should the knee width be? Thanks and sorry for the possibly confusing grammar.

9. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I recently spot-cleaned a white garment (100% cotton, if it helps) using diluted bleach, only to have the bleach strip the white out and leave the spots a tarnished yellow color, which I presume is actually the natural color of the cotton. After some reading I decided to try soaking the spots in white vinegar and rinsing. This helped, but the spots are still noticeable in the right light. Has anyone found any other methods that work for whitening fabric to actual white, rather than just off-white, or perhaps a product that works to cover up such spots?

10. galwaykinnell

galwaykinnell Member

I was looking for a casual belt to wear with slim (not skinny) charcoal jeans, and I found THESE, which is exactly what I wanted. I want it to go well with as many of my tshirts as possible. Honestly, I love all 4 colors, but I can only afford one. Any suggestions? Do I need to go neutral, or can I strike out and get a different color than blue?

11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Do you think it would be possible to tailor the sleeves on a short sleeved shirt such that they had a more contoured fit on the arm?

In the spoiler pic below you can see how the outsides of the sleeves seem to form a point that sticks out from the arm and I am looking to correct this.

[​IMG]

12. outsidetown

outsidetown Member

Which Red Wings are the more versatile (for the very casual office - everyday wear with jeans)

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

was after some clarks, but these are only £20 more in the sales and hopefully more durable. I'm guessing the chukkas but am blinded by the deal on the moc toes...

13. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Chukkas for sure, unless you live in the arctic circle or something

14. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

If its for the office the only Red Wings I would wear would be Gentlemen's Travellers.

15. chiggah

chiggah Senior member