Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. parc

parc Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure why they are so popular. I suspect it has to do with the trend of Americans wanting to remember their heritage of being working-class people who use to wear them when working outside (since the fabric is lightweight).

For a SF-approved (when I say this I mean is that the quality of the material and the construction of the garment is good) you are looking to spend around $60+ for one. Wrangler and a few other companies geared towards the blue-collared worker makes these but I'm doubtful that they are of similar quality when they made them in the industrial era

2. 1969

1969 Senior member

Are MMM Gats true to size and if so should I size up or down if I'm between sizes?

3. shanks59

shanks59 Senior member

I'm not entirely sure why they are so popular. I suspect it has to do with the trend of Americans wanting to remember their heritage of being working-class people who use to wear them when working outside (since the fabric is lightweight).

For a SF-approved (when I say this I mean is that the quality of the material and the construction of the garment is good) you are looking to spend around $60+ for one. Wrangler and a few other companies geared towards the blue-collared worker makes these but I'm doubtful that they are of similar quality when they made them in the industrial era

Thanks, so it's the lightweight aspect that was one of the key attributes? Anyone else care to elaborate?

4. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Senior member

Bought a Rick Owens shirt, do you cut off the long tag? I'd think so, but if it's one of his signature cool things I might as well keep it

5. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Are MMM Gats true to size and if so should I size up or down if I'm between sizes?

I found the low-tops true to size.

6. Logic

Logic New Member

First post on styleforum...
    I have 4 pairs of raw denim that have all incurred over 6 months of wear each and Ive never washed, soaked or cared for them in any way. I just wore a pair for months, then after awhile Id buy a new pair and start wearing them in. The two pairs that have more than 8 months of wear are a bit large in the waist now and Id like to get them back to the original size (shrink them up) and do whatever else I need to do to bring out all the wear nuances..All that said,
    Should I just soak them....and what is the BEST technique for doing that and/or can someone provide me a link to the thread where I can read up on doing this?
    Or should I wash in the washing machine with hot water and hang dry in the sun?
    Ive put a lot of time into these jeans and wanted to wash them a million times but resisted the urge. Now that its time I want to do things right. Any and all help is appreciated, and would really appreciate any links where this topic is discussed....sorry for the long post.

7. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

First post on styleforum...
    I have 4 pairs of raw denim that have all incurred over 6 months of wear each and Ive never washed, soaked or cared for them in any way. I just wore a pair for months, then after awhile Id buy a new pair and start wearing them in. The two pairs that have more than 8 months of wear are a bit large in the waist now and Id like to get them back to the original size (shrink them up) and do whatever else I need to do to bring out all the wear nuances..All that said,
    Should I just soak them....and what is the BEST technique for doing that and/or can someone provide me a link to the thread where I can read up on doing this?
    Or should I wash in the washing machine with hot water and hang dry in the sun?
    Ive put a lot of time into these jeans and wanted to wash them a million times but resisted the urge. Now that its time I want to do things right. Any and all help is appreciated, and would really appreciate any links where this topic is discussed....sorry for the long post.

When I soak, I just put them in a tub of hot water turned inside out for half an hour or so. Then I hang dry them. If they're really dirty you can put some soap like Dr. Bronner's in there with it and agitate it every now and then.

8. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

I have a very thin spring/summer sweater that hit a snag and now has a run. I couldn't pull the thread back into the sweater so I ended up cutting it. Now the sweater has a run and a small hole. Is there any way to fix this run? I'm going to have my girl stitch the hole shit. Will this keep the run from getting bigger?

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

u aint cool if u have to ask

Bought a Rick Owens shirt, do you cut off the long tag? I'd think so, but if it's one of his signature cool things I might as well keep it

10. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I have a very thin spring/summer sweater that hit a snag and now has a run. I couldn't pull the thread back into the sweater so I ended up cutting it. Now the sweater has a run and a small hole. Is there any way to fix this run? I'm going to have my girl stitch the hole shit. Will this keep the run from getting bigger?
    Find a reweaver in your area. It'll still be noticeable up close, but it's better than a hole

11. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

My lows seem to be. I'm a 9-9.5 in most shoes, 42 in CP and MMM Gats.

12. RBales

RBales Senior member

what's the deal with ordering from caliroots to the US? sf approved?

13. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

TTS, 43 MMM and 42 CP here. I'd size up, but that's just personal preference. They also stretch with a lot of wear, at least my 1.5 year old pair has.

14. Gimfit

Gimfit Member

Are the Vans OTW Pritchard true to size? I wear 10 in chucks.

15. atytse

atytse Member

Quick question, what fashion stores are must visit if you live in San Francisco?

So far I've only been hitting Zara and Westfield there. Just discovered Unionmade goods too.

Thanks.