Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I've always been a t-shirt guy, and have no clue about dress shirts. Never really paid attention to them. But after seeing these first two attached pictures I would like to try it out for the summer.
    Problem is that I hate long shirts/sweaters etc. And dress shirts always have that annoying drop on the front and back side which makes them go too far down. I don't like it when upper body pieces are so long that they cover the butt.

See the red line in attached picture three for the drop part I'm talking about.

But the first too pictures doesn't look so bad. They stay pretty high up, and don't appear to have that drop part. Or maybe they just aren't dropping that much on the front side? And I would hate them if I looked behind?

Am I blind? Or do shirts like this exist? Because I only seem to find ones with the dropping thingy.

If I understand correctly and you want something cut straight across (i.e. without the "drop part"), I think you'll have a hard time finding anything, and I would caution against it anyway. The shirt will probably look weirdly shapeless cut that way. You're better off looking for shirts that just aren't long. Band of Outsiders and Naked & Famous tend to have shorter lengths. Or, if you find a shirt you like that you think is too long, you could just take it to a tailor. A decent tailor could shorten it easily and cheaply. I'm wearing a shirt right now that I had shortened to a length that allows me to wear it tucked or untucked. Voila!

2. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

can anyone ID this shirt, or at least tell me what style of shirt it is?

http://www.idontlikeyouinthatway.com...enn3358667.jpg

Not 100% certain, but looks like Maison Martin Margiela Polo Funnel Neck Sweater from last FW10 season in rust colorway.

I've always been a t-shirt guy, and have no clue about dress shirts. Never really paid attention to them. But after seeing these first two attached pictures I would like to try it out for the summer.
    Problem is that I hate long shirts/sweaters etc. And dress shirts always have that annoying drop on the front and back side which makes them go too far down. I don't like it when upper body pieces are so long that they cover the butt.

See the red line in attached picture three for the drop part I'm talking about.

But the first too pictures doesn't look so bad. They stay pretty high up, and don't appear to have that drop part. Or maybe they just aren't dropping that much on the front side? And I would hate them if I looked behind?

Am I blind? Or do shirts like this exist? Because I only seem to find ones with the dropping thingy.

That is the hem of the shirt you are referring to. Like others have said, you need to stay away from dress shirts for wearing untucked since true dress shirt hems are long as they are meant to be tucked into trousers. You need to be looking for a casual shirt with a hem length that falls just a few inches below your pant waistline.

3. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

If I understand correctly and you want something cut straight across (i.e. without the "drop part"), I think you'll have a hard time finding anything, and I would caution against it anyway. The shirt will probably look weirdly shapeless cut that way.

Do you know what a shirt jack is?

4. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

Not 100% certain, but looks like Maison Martin Margiela Polo Funnel Neck Sweater from last FW10 season in rust colorway.

Thanks. I couldn't find a picture of it anywhere, but it is consistent with MMM.

5. reezy

reezy Senior member

ID this jacket please

[​IMG]

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I have a pair of EG cinch back pants and am thinking of having them hemmed very high so as to go for the cropped look. Thoughts?

7. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

ID this jacket please

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm...1plro1_500.jpg

It just looks like an average red gingham windbreaker/jacket.

I have a pair of EG cinch back pants and am thinking of having them hemmed very high so as to go for the cropped look. Thoughts?

I have a pair as well and just roll them up so I have the option. Not a roll fan?

8. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

It just looks like an average red gingham windbreaker/jacket.

I have a pair as well and just roll them up so I have the option. Not a roll fan?

Don't mind rolling in general, but I was thinking of hemming them so as to have a clean line at the bottom.

9. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

is there a thread up on the boards about watch troubleshooting?

I have a seiko spirit that has decided to start running fast - not familiar w/ this phenom.

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

is there a thread up on the boards about watch troubleshooting? I have a seiko spirit that has decided to start running fast - not familiar w/ this phenom.
    You probably have a spring that needs adjustment. You should not try to adjust this yourself. Your best bet is to take it to your nearest authorized Seiko dealer. They should have a repair person who will be able to correct the issue. The exact same thing happened to me about 1.5 years ago. Cost me about $30 and it's run fine ever since. My Seiko was one of the Japanese models that isn't sold in the states and they were still able to fix it no problem.

11. outsidetown

outsidetown Member

How slim do Fred Perry Harringtons fit?

In particular, the waxed Millerain version. I've got the chance to get one at an amazing price, in Large, but I'm a 42" chest, 6'2", and kind of boxy.

Wondering if I'd be better off finding an XL...

Might just get it anyway.

12. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Alright guys, I have both the Brooks Brothers Black Fleece shirts in size BB1 and BB2 in my cart right now, and I need a quick answer as to which will fit me better. I'm 5' 11", 157 lbs, wear a traditional small but size up to a medium in brands like BoO and Rag and Bone. HALLLPPPP

13. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

just got this geller sweatshirt from barneys. had to size up as they didn't have my size. thoughts?

[​IMG]

14. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Alright guys, I have both the Brooks Brothers Black Fleece shirts in size BB1 and BB2 in my cart right now, and I need a quick answer as to which will fit me better. I'm 5' 11", 157 lbs, wear a traditional small but size up to a medium in brands like BoO and Rag and Bone. HALLLPPPP
    I think the BB2 would be too big.

15. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

just got this geller sweatshirt from barneys. had to size up as they didn't have my size. thoughts?

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like you could've sized down, looks good like that