Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Hi, i have been meaning to try a pair of Dior jeans for a while, but too me this is kind of dangerous since i have no chance of trying a pair (no dior shops close to me)

I have seen some called 19 and some 21, is that a reference to the cuff? Or thigh perhaps?

I am running and biking quite a bit so my thighs are not big, but larger than someone who didnt [​IMG]

With that in mind, are there any of the ones you would recommend? Or is Dior not for me?

2. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

With regards to Levis 511:

On eBay, there are some 511 "Slim" (usually UK sellers) and 511 "Skinny" (usually USA sellers). Can anybody confirm if these Slim and Skinny fits are the same just with a different name? Or is there a difference?

Also, if the 30x30 jeans fit me well, should I be sizing down to allow them to stretch? Some of the 511's have elastane and some don't, so I'm not sure what the general rule of thumb is...

Many thanks!

511s are 511s. I've seen them described as skinny, super skinny, slim, slim straight (this is what the levis tag actually said on my last pair), they are all the same fit.

I go TTS on 100% cotton ones and they didn't stretch much for me, I wear a belt. The waist has gotten a tad looser, but the legs don't seem to have stretched at all.

I size down one on the ones with elastane.

Also, buying 511s online can be tricky business. I have seen some pretty legit sizing differences between two pairs of the same tagged size. QC seems to be a little low. My current denim pair fits great, but the khakis I bought, while they fit perfect in the legs, is baggy in the waist.

3. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Hi, i have been meaning to try a pair of Dior jeans for a while, but too me this is kind of dangerous since i have no chance of trying a pair (no dior shops close to me)

I have seen some called 19 and some 21, is that a reference to the cuff? Or thigh perhaps?

I am running and biking quite a bit so my thighs are not big, but larger than someone who didnt [​IMG]

With that in mind, are there any of the ones you would recommend? Or is Dior not for me?

19cm and 21cm refer to the hem size at waist 32. The hem size decreases by 0.5cm per waist size (ie. for the 19cm: 30 waist = 18cm, 29 waist = 17.5cm, 28 = 17cm). Diors are vanity sized, so you want to size down 2 from your true waist size to get your jean size. As with any brand, you should try on Diors before buying them, IMO.

4. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Thanks nahneun! The issue is just that there is no chance ever that i will be able to try before buy

5. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Thanks nahneun! The issue is just that there is no chance ever that i will be able to try before buy
    then i recommend you don't buy, unless you're a gambler. you can alter jeans but i have hardly seen anyone happy with the alterations they've done. best case scenario is that they fit perfectly, worst case is that you have to sell them and take an L. restating my last question: cheap, high quality alternative to Ray Ban Clubmasters. does anyone know of one?

6. Magic1

Magic1 Senior member

Can anyone give me a suggestion for a belt? Here's what I'm looking for:
    Not super utilitarian (I'm sick of the raw leathers and basic roller buckles. I think they look good, but I'm looking for something more interesting.).
    No camo.
    Not overly distressed
    No plastic mechanisms.
    Zero or very very little branding.
    Preferably leather.
    No studs.
    This would be an everyday belt, worn almost exclusively with denim.

I tried a damir doma belt, and I liked it, but the closure mechanism failed. The style was there though.

Under $300. Thanks for the help.

7. meanpeoplesuck

meanpeoplesuck Well-Known Member

511s are 511s. I've seen them described as skinny, super skinny, slim, slim straight (this is what the levis tag actually said on my last pair), they are all the same fit.

I go TTS on 100% cotton ones and they didn't stretch much for me, I wear a belt. The waist has gotten a tad looser, but the legs don't seem to have stretched at all.

I size down one on the ones with elastane.

Also, buying 511s online can be tricky business. I have seen some pretty legit sizing differences between two pairs of the same tagged size. QC seems to be a little low. My current denim pair fits great, but the khakis I bought, while they fit perfect in the legs, is baggy in the waist.

Thanks mate!

8. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Best bet would be finding a place with free returns then. Where do you live btw?

9. sofaking9000

sofaking9000 Well-Known Member

Best Raw/Selvage denim that's readily available online for around 50 usd?

10. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Best Raw/Selvage denim that's readily available online for around 50 usd?

GAP or Uniqlo.

11. sdx

sdx Well-Known Member

I'd throw Unbranded in the mix from Urban Outfitters

12. ramp

ramp Senior member

Anyone know if its possible to search for completed listings on Yahoo Japan Auctions?

13. sofaking9000

sofaking9000 Well-Known Member

where do I buy uniqlo online?
    Also how do the levis 501 stfs compare to the 3 listed above (UO, Gap Selvage, Uniqlo)?

14. sdx

sdx Well-Known Member

where do I buy uniqlo online?
    Also how do the levis 501 stfs compare to the 3 listed above (UO, Gap Selvage, Uniqlo)?

Uniqlo can be ordered by phone, the # is on their US website.

For cheep beaters, the regular STF if you size down 1 or 2 can look pretty good (They'll stretch out in the waist no problem). Not selvage though unless you're going LVC in which case you're probably looking at 200+ a pair. The only ones you've listed that I've actually felt were the Gap selvage and those were a solid feel for the money, but I don't personally like the selvage line on the coin pocket, slightly tacky, imo.

15. drum

drum Senior member

Place a phone order or get a proxy