Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. wat?

wat? Member

2. perpetual

perpetual Member

I'm getting mixed signals as to how Sahara Sperry's actually LOOK. I don't have anywhere to see them in person.

Anyone who has them want to clear this up?

Macy's shows as:
    [​IMG]

Amazon/most other places
    [​IMG]

Zappos
    [​IMG]

3. Filipe

Filipe Senior member

I'm thinking of getting this Ben Sherman harrington in Stone for S/S. I'll probably wear it with a blue slim-fit OCBD, Levis 501 and sand suede Clark's DB. I have a 39'' chest and weigh 154 lbs. Do you think I should get the M or should I try the S for a more trim look?

4. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Looking for jeans that are similar in fit to APC NS, but have a larger/taller rise. Any suggestions?

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Is it weird to wear a full-length wool or camel hair coat over a sport coat? Is there a way to ID genuine shell/hide cordovan by look or touch (or taste or smell :-/)?
    Still accepting answers for either question... Thanks.

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Still accepting answers for either question... Thanks.
    If the coat is an overcoat, then no it isn't strange at all. Camel or wool are both acceptable winter outerwear. As for cordovan, if it is used you can tell because the leather won't crease like it will with calf leather. When you touch cordovan the leather will seem a little thicker and more flexible than calf leather.

7. lwkeung

lwkeung Senior member

Macy's shows as:
    [​IMG]

Like this.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

If the coat is an overcoat, then no it isn't strange at all. Camel or wool are both acceptable winter outerwear.

As for cordovan, if it is used you can tell because the leather won't crease like it will with calf leather. When you touch cordovan the leather will seem a little thicker and more flexible than calf leather.

Nice...thank you, Ghetto Swanson! That helps. (It's just that I always notice overcoats w/ suits, never sportcoats/casual pants, hence the anxiety).

9. iamrobertjulius

iamrobertjulius Member

Will someone please recommend a hat exactly like this one? + link to buy [​IMG]

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

anyone have experience with good lint removers i.e. to get rid of pilling/lint etc. the one that is actually an electric fabric shaver. thanks

11. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

I'm looking for a nice cardigan. Don't matter what color my size is large. [​IMG]

I'll answer honestly here, since this is where this type of question belongs in the first place..

Your best bet for finding a nice cardigan in February is going to be on SF/SuFu marketplaces or ebay (stick to the marketplaces though because far more newbie mistakes are made on ebay). The reason for this is that all the stores have long since deeply discounted their fall/winter apparel, so anything left is going to have something wrong with it basically. Brand recommendations.. maybe search up the 'epicurean knit' thread. SNS Herning is probably the most popular knit maker here.

12. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

anyone have experience with good lint removers i.e. to get rid of pilling/lint etc. the one that is actually an electric fabric shaver. thanks

For lint, I just use the standard 3M sticky paper roller. I don't use it on knits because I suspect it probably would increase, not decrease, piling.

I looked into the electric sweater shaver thing on Amazon and it had some really mixed reviews.. some said it was useless and actually more likely to damage knitwear. I'd be interested in hearing user experiences as well.

I recently bought a sweater stone and have yet to use it. They're supposedly really messy to work with and take a ton of 'elbow grease'/time but this seems the surest method from the Amazon reviews I've read.

13. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

I'm thinking of getting this Ben Sherman harrington in Stone for S/S. I'll probably wear it with a blue slim-fit OCBD, Levis 501 and sand suede Clark's DB.

I have a 39'' chest and weigh 154 lbs. Do you think I should get the M or should I try the S for a more trim look?

Request the actual pit to pit measurement or look up similar harringtons on the B+S to find such measurements. You'll probably want 3-4" of chest clearance, so an actual p2p of 21-22"-ish. It would be helpful also to know if Ben Sherman equates size S to a 36 or 38. I'd probably recommend going down to size rather than up (39->38) since Ben Sherman isn't known for being very fitted.

14. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

quick question, also x-posted in "I have a jean..."

The Skull SJB666P are partially sanforized with an estimating .5" shrink expected. So, should these be hot soaked when first purchased or hold off until some initial stretching has occurred?

Always soak first. Hot or cold would depend on how much shrinkage you want from them.

15. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

quick question, also x-posted in "I have a jean..."

The Skull SJB666P are partially sanforized with an estimating .5" shrink expected. So, should these be hot soaked when first purchased or hold off until some initial stretching has occurred?

Personally, I would hot soak Skulls before wearing them. Even though you won't get much shrinkage, they use all-cotton stitching, which is more prone to breaking than the more common poly-core stitching. Getting rid of the starch from soaking helps prolong the life of the jeans and also helps delay the need for repairs.