Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. sdx

sdx Well-Known Member

I got a very similar boot from the Danner Factory store for $165. It was referred to as a "Danner - Japan" boot, meaning it was made to be sold in the Japanese market. My understanding is Danner recently decided to start offering this combo (suede, cristy sole) in the U.S. too. Here's a suggestion: call the factory store directly, see if they have any ("Danner Japan Mountain Lights in tan or olive suede"), and ask if you can buy it over the phone and then have them ship it to you. The store operates separately from their online sales so, for a potential savings of 50%, it's worth a phone call.

Danner Factory Store
    12021 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97220
    Phone Number
    503-251-1111

J.Crew sells a suede/Cristy sole model for $298: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...nner/46669.jsp

Two other points: First, the boot is made in Portland, Oregon, USA to high standards and is worth what Danner is asking ($300 for the non-suede leather options http://www.danner.com/boots/mountain...ing-boots.html and http://www.danner.com/mountain-light...ing-boots.html , $330 for suede & cristy sole http://www.danner.com/boots/mountain...-ii-boots.html ). The leather Danner uses is amazingly soft and the boots do not have the huge profile that some pics might suggest. If you can afford it, do it. Second, apparently Danner will add a cristy sole on any boot they sell, if you ask them. The day I was there, a store rep was sporting a pair of the black Mountain Lights (new color for them) with a white cristy sole that he had put on. I believe he said they charge $80. Obviously better to start with the sole you want, but good to know they might be able to accommodate special orders.

Danner-Japan model at the Factory store in Portland, Oregon. Some marked "AS IS" like this one, others were not:

[​IMG]

Here's mine which, coincidently, match the living room rug perfectly:

[​IMG]

Danner Moutnain Light sold by J.Crew ($298, on sale for $268 http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...nner/30910.jsp ) - sold at Factory store for $165:

[​IMG]

Wow, awesome reply! Thank you!

2. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

How is sizing on Fiorentini & Baker boots??

3. bsyde82

bsyde82 Senior member

anyone know of B&M retailers in San Francisco that carry CdG Play? I'm particularly looking for their polo shirts.

Thanks

4. cl smooth

cl smooth Senior member

I would like some quick advice.

My jean history over the past 4 years:

APC NS- Love them, best fit, the ideal cut for me. Don't really like the quality of the denim or how they look after a ton of wear though.

Ironheart 301- liked them, but a lot slimmer than the APC's. A little too tight in the thigh.

Ironheart 634- had them taped from the knee down, and they generally fit well, but they have the 'diaper ass' feature, which i hate.

I was wondering what I should get for my next model. I basically want the APC NS (how they fit when they're new) but higher quality.

I was thinking about Dior 19cms, since they're based the APC NS. But they just raised the price to $430, plus sales tax, which would be like $470.

Is there a comparable model like those from the japanese companies that's no more than $350?

I'm in NYC.

5. Lane

Lane Senior member

6. S-Town

S-Town Senior member

APC NS- Love them, best fit, the ideal cut for me. Don't really like the quality of the denim or how they look after a ton of wear though.

Ironheart 301- liked them, but a lot slimmer than the APC's. A little too tight in the thigh.

Ironheart 634- had them taped from the knee down, and they generally fit well, but they have the 'diaper ass' feature, which i hate.

I was wondering what I should get for my next model. I basically want the APC NS (how they fit when they're new) but higher quality.

I was thinking about Dior 19cms, since they're based the APC NS. But they just raised the price to $430, plus sales tax, which would be like $470.

Is there a comparable model like those from the japanese companies that's no more than $350?

I'm in NYC.

I've never seen APC in person, so I may be throwing out something of similar (or worse) quality, but have you looked at 3sixteen?

7. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

I'm in NYC.

If you like Iron Heart's denim, but not the 634s or 301 cuts, you might want to look at the Iron Heart Beatle Buster, which is slimmer than the 634s but not as skinny as the 301. I think Self Edge will carry them (if they aren't already) or you can get them from Giles in the UK.

That said, the 634s shouldn't give you diaper butt unless you're quite skinny (which of course is possible) or if you sized too large. It's not really an anti-fit cut at all, imo.

If in NYC, you should just go to the SE store and try on a number of different brands and cuts and see what works. RJB, Strike Gold, and others have cuts that obviously aren't identical to the new standard but might be in line with what you're looking for. Most will be pushing the limit of your $350, but the quality will be worth it.

8. brimley

brimley Senior member

I rarely wear denim, but I accompanied a co-worker to Blue in Green last night and looked at all the pretty super-stiff super-raw super-baller Japanese denim they have. I kinda liked Eternal, but they were about to close so I thought I'd go home, do some research and go back to try a bunch when we all had more time to make the right choice.

My question is... why do denim people need to soak their baller jeans as soon as they get them and ruin that unreal dark look that raw denim has? I am basing this on the pictures of all the unsold Eternal jeans in B&S, which kinda look nothing like the ones I saw in the store.

Beside getting rid of future shrinking, what does the denim person try to achieve with soaking?

Actually, soaking often makes the jeans darker (indigo gets into undyed threads). In my opinion, the main advantage in soaking is moving from the flat/starched/pressed look to a three-dimensional look. It "opens up" the denim, adds texture, and improves fading (again my opinion). B&S photos are garbage, that is why they don't look like in store.

I'm in NYC.

Check out Epaulet's denim. Much cheaper than your budget. 3 Sixteen is a good rec too. The American brands are more likely to match your fit criteria (since they're all just ripping off the NS these days) and many of them are using interesting Japanese denim.

9. coco2010

coco2010 Senior member

Anyone ever had the armholes in their coat widened? Is it doable? Got this coat, it fits me beautifully, except its a bit tight in the armpit. fuuuu

10. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

to get a good jeans fit (not skinny, not baggy, just sf-approved [​IMG]), how many cm should I add to my actual thigh size? thanks.

11. AlexWb

AlexWb Well-Known Member

*oops deleted

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I'm thinking of picking up a L/S Oxford shirt from Band of Outsiders. I'm about 5'6.5//125-130. Would an XS fit me or should I opt for an S?

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Is it weird to wear a full-length wool or camel hair coat over a sport coat?

Is there a way to ID genuine shell/hide cordovan by look or touch (or taste or smell :-/)?

@Neo, from a former wrestler who saw everything from sickly nerds to hulking behemoths with your exact stats, I'd say it's best to start w/ the tape measure.

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

A few denim questions here:

I have a pair of Levis for BR 501 and a pair of APC NS. I haven't soaked them, washed them, dry cleaned them AT ALL. The NS are starting to show minimal fades but nothing like some of the fades I see in this subforum. Granted I don't wear them everyday, but have worn the BR at least 3-4 times a week (some weeks more some weeks less) since I got them the day they were released (late August/early Sept), and the NS are 3 years old. What am I doing wrong? The NS have been hemmed a touch and I have just taken the BR to my tailor for him to shorten them as well (was wearing em with 2" double cuffs and it was starting to look a bit sloppy).

Second, I see the Naked and Famous and looking at their Slim Guy Elephant and was wondering what size to go with and where I can buy them online (also where in Brooklyn (if possible) or Manhattan I can go to try them on. I wear a 33 in the Billy Reids, and my APC NS are a 30, but I could also get away with a 29 as my NS have to be worn with a belt.

Thanks.

15. raven37457

raven37457 Senior member

Brunch at Ai Fiori in NYC this afternoon the dinner dress code is smart casual. What do you suggest? Can I do clean raw denim?