Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. S-Town

S-Town Senior member

Does this look like a legit usps tracking number? 13072480000002926059

I thought they usually include a few letters at the beginning and end? I only ask because I thought even if the package is not trackable, that it would still show the date/time it was accepted by the post office. And another delivery confirmation at the end. The number up above doesn't show this info at all.

*this is for an item shipped to Canada

I have one right now for a package I shipped that has no letters in it. Unlike UPS, the post office is really hit or miss with their tracking effectiveness.

2. S-Town

S-Town Senior member

Does this look like a legit usps tracking number? 13072480000002926059

I thought they usually include a few letters at the beginning and end? I only ask because I thought even if the package is not trackable, that it would still show the date/time it was accepted by the post office. And another delivery confirmation at the end. The number up above doesn't show this info at all.

*this is for an item shipped to Canada

Oh, I just noticed it is being shipped to Canada. I think you're correct. All of the packages I have sent out of the US had a tracking number from the Customs Declaration and looked like LC#######US. That number you have there looks like the Delivery Confirmation service they sell. I didn't think those were used for international shipments.

3. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Anyone have ideas on how to stretch a pair of adidas "campus" sneakers in suede leather?

I picked up an inexpensive pair off ebay but they're a bit tight up front. Not sure why--I've worn the same size in the campus before and they fit fine.

They're still tight even in thin socks. I just need a little stretch.

Have you seen the old metal shoe trees that you can set according to your size? (here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-EKCO-MET...item43a4f9b470 ) You might try picking up a pair and setting them a size or two larger than the shoe. Maybe add a little liquid shoe stretcher (the bottle will likely state on the side that its purpose is to stretch the width, not length of shoes). I've tried this and had minimal (but noticeable) luck. You might also bring them to a shoe repair store and ask if they can stretch them for you. These options can add to the cost of your shoes but, if it's worth it to you ....

4. Oasis

Oasis Senior member

Have you seen the old metal shoe trees that you can set according to your size? (here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-EKCO-MET...item43a4f9b470 ) You might try picking up a pair and setting them a size or two larger than the shoe. Maybe add a little liquid shoe stretcher (the bottle will likely state on the side that its purpose is to stretch the width, not length of shoes). I've tried this and had minimal (but noticeable) luck. You might also bring them to a shoe repair store and ask if they can stretch them for you. These options can add to the cost of your shoes but, if it's worth it to you ....

Why buy a shoe tree when you can buy a shoe stretcher? Does both width and/or length..

5. Eternity

Eternity New Member

Trying to start over, I'm wearing tan boots, with a pair of unwashed indigo straight denim and a tan belt, any general recommendations for what to wear for the upper body?

6. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Anything close to http://www.danner.com/boots/mountain...-ii-boots.html

without the $330 pricetag?

I got a very similar boot from the Danner Factory store for $165. It was referred to as a "Danner - Japan" boot, meaning it was made to be sold in the Japanese market. My understanding is Danner recently decided to start offering this combo (suede, cristy sole) in the U.S. too. Here's a suggestion: call the factory store directly, see if they have any ("Danner Japan Mountain Lights in tan or olive suede"), and ask if you can buy it over the phone and then have them ship it to you. The store operates separately from their online sales so, for a potential savings of 50%, it's worth a phone call.

Danner Factory Store
    12021 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97220
    Phone Number
    503-251-1111

J.Crew sells a suede/Cristy sole model for $298: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...nner/46669.jsp

Two other points: First, the boot is made in Portland, Oregon, USA to high standards and is worth what Danner is asking ($300 for the non-suede leather options http://www.danner.com/boots/mountain...ing-boots.html and http://www.danner.com/mountain-light...ing-boots.html , $330 for suede & cristy sole http://www.danner.com/boots/mountain...-ii-boots.html ). The leather Danner uses is amazingly soft and the boots do not have the huge profile that some pics might suggest. If you can afford it, do it. Second, apparently Danner will add a cristy sole on any boot they sell, if you ask them. The day I was there, a store rep was sporting a pair of the black Mountain Lights (new color for them) with a white cristy sole that he had put on. I believe he said they charge $80. Obviously better to start with the sole you want, but good to know they might be able to accommodate special orders.

Danner-Japan model at the Factory store in Portland, Oregon. Some marked "AS IS" like this one, others were not:

[​IMG]

Here's mine which, coincidently, match the living room rug perfectly:

[​IMG]

Danner Moutnain Light sold by J.Crew ($298, on sale for $268 http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...nner/30910.jsp ) - sold at Factory store for $165:

[​IMG]

7. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Why buy a shoe tree when you can buy a shoe stretcher? Does both width and/or length..
    Indeed - the only real constraints are time and money. If price is no object then I'd say 'go get a pair of shoes that fit well.' Why bother investing in shoe stretching gadgetry? But the scenario was, 'I got a deal on a pair of shoes & they don't fit quite right.' I suggested a cost-effective option I've actually tried. I found the shoe trees amongst my father's things (trees which might also be found in somebody's basement, on eBay or a garage sale for cheap). But if you have experience with a store-bought shoe stretcher, by all means tell us about it.

8. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Trying to start over, I'm wearing tan boots, with a pair of unwashed indigo straight denim and a tan belt, any general recommendations for what to wear for the upper body?
    How about a white button down or white t-shirt and this cardigan from Archival Clothing: http://store.archivalclothing.com/pr...ardigan-solids

I got one in navy and loved it so much I ordered the blue-black-gray multi-weave version.

9. Oasis

Oasis Senior member

But if you have experience with a store-bought shoe stretcher, by all means tell us about it.

I do. I bought a cheap as shit set from ebay for under $10. Just as cheap as shoe trees and designed for the purpose, and they worked. [​IMG]

10. prurient

prurient Senior member

I rarely wear denim, but I accompanied a co-worker to Blue in Green last night and looked at all the pretty super-stiff super-raw super-baller Japanese denim they have. I kinda liked Eternal, but they were about to close so I thought I'd go home, do some research and go back to try a bunch when we all had more time to make the right choice.

My question is... why do denim people need to soak their baller jeans as soon as they get them and ruin that unreal dark look that raw denim has? I am basing this on the pictures of all the unsold Eternal jeans in B&S, which kinda look nothing like the ones I saw in the store.

Beside getting rid of future shrinking, what does the denim person try to achieve with soaking?

11. S-Town

S-Town Senior member

I rarely wear denim, but I accompanied a co-worker to Blue in Green last night and looked at all the pretty super-stiff super-raw super-baller Japanese denim they have. I kinda liked Eternal, but they were about to close so I thought I'd go home, do some research and go back to try a bunch when we all had more time to make the right choice.

My question is... why do denim people need to soak their baller jeans as soon as they get them and ruin that unreal dark look that raw denim has? I am basing this on the pictures of all the unsold Eternal jeans in B&S, which kinda look nothing like the ones I saw in the store.

Beside getting rid of future shrinking, what does the denim person try to achieve with soaking?

The only other reason I can think of is that soaking can help prolong the life of the denim. I personally wouldn't do the soak unless I really felt like I needed to get some shrinking out of the way.

12. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

I rarely wear denim, but I accompanied a co-worker to Blue in Green last night and looked at all the pretty super-stiff super-raw super-baller Japanese denim they have. I kinda liked Eternal, but they were about to close so I thought I'd go home, do some research and go back to try a bunch when we all had more time to make the right choice. My question is... why do denim people need to soak their baller jeans as soon as they get them and ruin that unreal dark look that raw denim has? I am basing this on the pictures of all the unsold Eternal jeans in B&S, which kinda look nothing like the ones I saw in the store. Beside getting rid of future shrinking, what does the denim person try to achieve with soaking?
    With the type of denim (unsanforized, aka shrink-to-fit) that BiG mostly sells, like these Eternals that you like, soaking is highly recommended. If you don't soak before you wear the jeans, your fades are going to move out of place the first time you wash your jeans and they shrink. Like S-Town said, soaking also prolongs the life of your denim by getting rid of starch and bedding the stitching. If you never soak or wash, the stitching on your jeans will break a lot more easily, especially with brands that use all-cotton stitching like Eternal. If you want to avoid getting your jeans wet and keep the raw look without causing problems with your jeans down the road, the best thing to do is to buy raw denim that is sanforized and uses poly-core stitching. One brand on the level of what you have been looking at that offers this kind of jean is Iron Heart.

13. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

are gabardine chinos for spring summer only?

where are fred perry chinos made btw?

thanks

14. Coburg

Coburg Member

Two quick questions:

1) is there a frequently used name for shirts like the one below that don't have the long tails of a dress shirt and can be worn untucked?

2) any suggestions for online or other stores (other than BR that provided the image below) where they can be found in various colors/patterns in the spring/summer for under $150?

[​IMG]

15. sdx

sdx Well-Known Member

EDIT: NM you guys have it right, that's an order confirmation number...