Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. cb_32

cb_32 Senior member

where can i get those vintage fish hook carabiners/belt buckles?

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

^ to answer you
    They come from this ebay seller: http://myworld.ebay.com/x-kaijin-x/ Message him and he can list one for you.
    xpost from EDC sufu

3. herpderp

herpderp New Member

I'm relatively ignorant and I'm in the market for some collared shirts. Is there a rule of thumb regarding when to choose between a solid coloured OCBD dress shirt and a solid-coloured button-down sport shirt for casual wear?

Is the structured collar on the OCBD inherently non-casual?

Are they interchangable?

4. ramp

ramp Senior member

Took a pair of linen pants to the dry cleaner, and the motherfuckers ironed a crease into them. They're not supposed to be ironed. Now the pants are crispy as opposed soft and the creases and stacking, well, look like shit now. Anything I can do to return them to their old texture?

(yesmad)

5. nakokoro

nakokoro Well-Known Member

How would I go about getting Gilt membership? is there a gilt affiliate link on SF? A search only led me to dead links. An invite would be appreciated as well.

6. ubc121

ubc121 Senior member

Anyone know how the Rag & Bone RB15X fit?

7. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

How would I go about getting Gilt membership? is there a gilt affiliate link on SF? A search only led me to dead links. An invite would be appreciated as well.

I can send you an invitation, PM me your email

8. nyc-nowss

nyc-nowss New Member

9. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

i bought a gant oxford after christmas and instore the color looked red to me and now that i have it in my hands it has a somewhat pinkish tone to it. almost more pink than red. i like the shirt but don't know what to wear with it. [​IMG]

10. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

lads,

I have a grey check pattern flannel shirt and another check pattern tan thin corduroy pants. the shirt has a large, contrasting pattern (white on top of dark grey and black) while the patterns on the pants are lighter, smaller, and more subdued. can I wear them at the same time a.k.a. what's the general rule for matching pattern with pants?

11. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

lads, I have a grey check pattern flannel shirt and another check pattern tan thin corduroy pants. the shirt has a large, contrasting pattern (white on top of dark grey and black) while the patterns on the pants are lighter, smaller, and more subdued. can I wear them at the same time a.k.a. what's the general rule for matching pattern with pants?
    Too many checks. Wear solid pants, or vice versa.

12. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

Quick question. What is the general consensus on the board regarding wolf vs. goat? I just got my BD medium and can't justify paying full price ($150ish?) for other colors. Granted, the fit is spot on for athletic/slim guys, but it ain't something that a competent tailor can't do even better if not equally as well for a measly $25. I also can't see the merits of the much-touted japanese cloth, which was a major selling point for me. What other oxfords are worth looking at/forum approved? I currently have my eyes on what ToJ has to offer. I also know that I can just buy any random button up and have it tailored, but I want to buy once, and buy quality. That way I cry only one time. Is MTM the best way to go at that price range? ($120+). I can afford to get one shirt every week at this price point until I'm happy.

13. coco2010

coco2010 Senior member

How crappy is the quality of the "John Varvatos USA" line boots/shoes? Would $60 be a good price to pay for a pair of those? Looking for some beater winter boots.

14. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Took a pair of linen pants to the dry cleaner, and the motherfuckers ironed a crease into them. They're not supposed to be ironed. Now the pants are crispy as opposed soft and the creases and stacking, well, look like shit now. Anything I can do to return them to their old texture?

(yesmad)

I don't know about the composition of your specific pants, I'm not sure this will work, but I did this with chinos when I had trouble:

Wear them around for a while. Bunch them up and throw them at the wall a couple times. If the creases still don't go away:

Lay them flat on the ironing board, with the seams at the sides and the whole front facing up. Iron flat, pressing out the creases. The front should look flat.

I'm relatively ignorant and I'm in the market for some collared shirts. Is there a rule of thumb regarding when to choose between a solid coloured OCBD dress shirt and a solid-coloured button-down sport shirt for casual wear?

Is the structured collar on the OCBD inherently non-casual?

Are they interchangable?

Make sure the texture of your shirt goes with your pants and shoes. Make sure your shirt is short enough that it look fine untucked. You probably don't want anything thin or sheer. Oxford cloth is great for these purposes but there are a lot of other options, steer by your eye and your fingertip, not the tag.

What do you mean by "structured collar"?

What other oxfords are worth looking at/forum approved? I currently have my eyes on what ToJ has to offer. I also know that I can just buy any random button up and have it tailored, but I want to buy once, and buy quality. That way I cry only one time. Is MTM the best way to go at that price range? ($120+). I can afford to get one shirt every week at this price point until I'm happy.

Unless you immediately need shirts, take your time and wait until you can try the shirts on in person if you can. Band of Outsiders gets a lot of press on here, I know some people swear by Uniqlo shirts after you get them altered. I don't wear many BDs so I can't tell you.

How crappy is the quality of the "John Varvatos USA" line boots/shoes? Would $60 be a good price to pay for a pair of those? Looking for some beater winter boots.

Sounds like a good price, but why not buy Sorels or something if you're buying boots specifically for winter?

15. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

PART II
    Any thoughts on this structure long coat?

Offhand: $60 almost certainly means that the coat was manufactured in unethical conditions out of shitty fabrics. Outerwear is worth saving for. I haven't seen the coat in person though.

i bought a gant oxford after christmas and instore the color looked red to me and now that i have it in my hands it has a somewhat pinkish tone to it. almost more pink than red. i like the shirt but don't know what to wear with it.

It has a rough texture, so wear it with jeans, chinos, tweed trousers, brogues, pebble-grain leather, textural knits, and heavy wool. Avoid dark earth tones - brown fabrics, dark greens, maroons, mustard yellows, or burnt oranges. Black will be kind of tricky to pair, I think. Use light/mid khaki, any blue/navy, white/cream, or textured grey as a neutral base, or use light and bright oranges or greens if you want to do the tennis prep thing.