Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. max_r

max_r Senior member

Yea but what's the basis of that 48?

european sizing

eu48 = us38

i thought it was kinda obvious when there are tons of skinny guys buying size 44 and 46

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

european sizing eu48 = us38 i thought it was kinda obvious when there are tons of skinny guys buying size 44 and 46
    Thanks Obv it was a different size system, just didn't know what the diff was, thanks for the swipe though

3. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

I have a pretty random question about high-end denim. When I try to explain to people the idea behind paying over $200 for a pair of jeans I generally talk about how they're made using high quality materials and constructions similar to those used before companies like Levi sacrificed quality in order to make jeans as efficiently and quickly as possible--so basically they're made like jeans "used to be made". Their response is invariably to ask , if they cost so much today, how the hell people "back then" could possibly afford them. Can anyone offer any insight? Am I just wrong in my argument?

their question is pretty flawed.

without having almost any facts, here are some answers:
    the way pants were made "back then" was the standard way it was done. Now, to do it that way, you have to find that special machinery and the people to construct them properly, thus raised costs. the pants were probably cheaper, adjusting for inflation, than, for example, LVCs ever have been. I don't know any facts about that, though.

that, and if we're talking about the 30s/40s, people who needed to wear jeans might only have had one or two pairs of pants.

If we ignore the "quality" argument you seem to want to discuss, there are many, many reasons to pay 200 bucks for a pair of jeans--their fit, their detailing, their story, country of origin, or just pure swag.

For example, I bought Raleighs over some Japanese brand because I live within 100 miles of everything that went into making the jeans and I got to meet one of the owners and saw their workshop.

I should warn you that people will still find a reason to complain about your 200 dollar denim. If you're on styleforum, you're probably willing to spend endless money on clothes at the sacrifice of other things. Most people don't think clothes are something to spend endless money on--they'd rather put it into their car, house, pets, cigarettes, booze, children, tiny ceramic frog collection, gambling, or food or something, unless they are serious savers, in which case they in effect don't have any money to use for anything at all--much like being poor, except with a big safety net if you really have to use some money.

Most people will never understand the neverending desire and hunt for wonderfully fitting, well constructed garments with character and style.

4. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

the random fashion thoughts thread is full of this discussion right now, btw.

5. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior member

im looking for slim, unlined/very thinly lined, black leather gloves that dont look like ass; does anyone have any suggestions?

6. MelonSnapple

MelonSnapple Active Member

Do Gant Rugger shirts fit like the regular Gant shirts?

7. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

Are crew neck sweaters out of style? I've been searching for some but I'm finding v neck sweaters seem to be much more prevalent. I'm just looking for a plain, crew neck sweater. Something like this:

[​IMG]

8. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

Dude in the pic has an audemars. Probably wearing Loro piana or something. Look in the mc sales thread, there's always a good selection of sweaters.

9. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

PF, why isnt luisaviaroma competitive enought for you? wheres a better place to buy?

feel free to pm me if you dont want to blow up your spot.[​IMG]

ive been looking for giuliano fujiwara pieces at all the listed stockists on their site...i dont mind proxying but i cant even see what pieces these stores stock?!?! any suggestions?

Bump. Anyone? Not solely for prada ferragamo.

Also does SEVEN new York have an email address? I only see fax and telephone

10. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

I only buy a few brands. For example, look at their Rick prices, not worth it. what brands are you looking for?

11. Prada_Ferragamo

Are crew neck sweaters out of style? I've been searching for some but I'm finding v neck sweaters seem to be much more prevalent. I'm just looking for a plain, crew neck sweater. Something like this:

[​IMG]

Why would crew neck sweaters be out of style?

12. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

I buy kva and Neil barrett at lvr. Other stuff when it hits the sale rack. I like this seasons lanvin nylon stuff and Neil barretts cotton twill cargos...[​IMG]

I'm mostly looking for Giuliani fujiwara.

13. Prada_Ferragamo

Not sure about these brand specifically. Forward carries KVA and I believe Antonioli has both.

14. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

I'm tired of winter and cannot wait until it warms up. Not just because of clothing... Snowman, is there ever a time of year where you can wear shorts and a t-shirt on the regular? or, well...you..I guess "shorts and t-shirt" might sound a little bland [​IMG] , but you know what I'm saying... edit; and it also feels really nice to not have to worry about stalking f/w sales etc or any real internet buys until the new spring stuff trickles out. My wallet can recover in the meantime!

15. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

Why would crew neck sweaters be out of style?

As I said, v neck sweaters seem to be much more easily available than crew necks, at least judging from what I've seen in stores. It just seems like brands are pushing v necks or other style sweaters over crew necks. So I thought v necks might be what's more popular this year.