Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Does anyone know where to purchase tight leather gloves? I have long, thin fingers and every single pair of glove I try on at any store is too loose on me. That's not entirely because my fingers are rail thin (I mean, most gloves aren't skin tight anyway), but I would really like some tight gloves so I don't have to take them off every time I need to reach for something out of my pocket or whatnot.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Looks fine except the sides flare out too much for my taste

Are you referring to the shoulders? I like the way they kind of add a bit of the old tough guy physique -- even if you don't really have a tough guy physique.

3. flytothesky

flytothesky Well-Known Member

anyone know the sizing on Sebago Docksides?

I wear

9.5 in Nikes
    8.5 in Clarks

Anyone know if they run large? i am thinking about 8.5

4. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

GF: I've been looking at gloves lately, and I'd maybe recommend looking into driving gloves because they are so thin, and then sizing down. I was actually curious, btw, how you were familiarized with somatypical physiology? I'd assume it was through some dilluted, derivative new-age source, which is where the terminology has stayed alive for the most part. The original Harvard studies are quite remarkable though.. if you can actually get your hands on them. I wonder if you understand the significance of the mesomorphic revolution in regards to popular sartorialism, for instance..

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

GF: I've been looking at gloves lately, and I'd maybe recommend looking into driving gloves because they are so thin, and then sizing down. I was actually curious, btw, how you were familiarized with somatypical physiology? I'd assume it was through some dilluted, derivative new-age source, which is where the terminology has stayed alive for the most part. The original Harvard studies are quite remarkable though.. if you can actually get your hands on them. I wonder if you understand the significance of the mesomorphic revolution in regards to popular sartorialism, for instance..
    Yeah, I've been looking into driving gloves too because they seem to be the most tight. Not sure if they will be as tight as I want. Would sizing down work? I'm sure I'd be able to achieve the tightness, but what about length? I'm afraid they'd be too short. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I learned about the somatotypes when I started lifting weights. I grew up as a really skinny kid and then I had a growth spurt in highschool, resulting in my tall, lanky physique. Once I develop an interest in something, I research it to shit and learn everything about it. So I learned about the different somatotypes and how they affect your muscle gains and physique. I thought a lot of people knew about somatotypes? Definitely agree with you on the mesomorphic type playing a huge role in sartorial rules. Most people are mesomorphs (in western societies, at least).

6. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

^ I was unfamiliar with the bodybuilding association. I learned about it through an interest in Aldous Huxley, who ascribed a personal breakthrough to learning about somatotyping (he was an ectomorph) and its behavioral significance (the connection between the physiologies and temperaments, which is the crux of the original work). William Sheldon headed the studies at Harvard sometime in the first quarter of the 20th century and published 'Varieties of Human Physiology', and 'Varities of Temperament.' If you have access to a college library, you might want to see if they have a copy of the set. Ectomorphs are the thoroughbreds of the human species!!

I'm not sure about the glove length question and I'm in a similar situation. It did occur to me that leather will always stretch though. I'll probably pull the trigger on a pair from among a dozen or so I saved from an Ebay search yesterday. My criteria are 1. thin or no lining 2. stitching on the inside (this is the harder one, as 99.9% have outside stitching it seems). jet pointed out that this look is preferrable and I've come to agree. The other style is too rugged for modern looks imo.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I've heard of those studies.. never really followed through on them though. Definitely sound like some interesting reads tho.

Could you key me in on some search terms you used to narrow down your search criteria?

thanks!

8. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Are you referring to the shoulders? I like the way they kind of add a bit of the old tough guy physique -- even if you don't really have a tough guy physique.

was referring to the bottom sides

9. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

anyone know the sizing on Sebago Docksides?

I wear

9.5 in Nikes
    8.5 in Clarks

Anyone know if they run large? i am thinking about 8.5

In my experience, they run pretty TTS. I'm a true 8.5 and purchased 8.5 SD. It was tight for about a week but the leather eventually gave in.

10. JoeRogan

JoeRogan Senior member

Can anyone tell me what size I would probably be in Alden Indys if I wear
    1.) 11 in Iron Rangers and Clarks Desert Boots
    2.) 12.5-13 in dress shoes and sneakers?

11. Shirt+Pants

Shirt+Pants Senior member

Anyone with experience with Robert Geller knits, what's the sizing like? Is 48 a medium and 50 a large? I'm 6'1" 170 lbs and wear a medium in Gitman shirts. What size would I be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

Hi, a quick question about tailoring --

I recently bought a Margiela blazer, which fits me in the shoulders absolutely perfectly, but has sleeves nearly 2 inches too long, and is about 1 inch too long in length. From what I've read, these two are the cheapest and easiest things to adjust, but (note: I know absolutely nothing about alterations so these questions are probably quite dumb) I was wondering what would happen to the cuffs and lower pockets -- the lower pockets in particular end only about an inch and a half above the hem. Thanks!

tl;dr: When you make something smaller, are the cuffs / pockets moved or does the hem just move closer to them?

13. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Hi, a quick question about tailoring --

I recently bought a Margiela blazer, which fits me in the shoulders absolutely perfectly, but has sleeves nearly 2 inches too long, and is about 1 inch too long in length. From what I've read, these two are the cheapest and easiest things to adjust, but (note: I know absolutely nothing about alterations so these questions are probably quite dumb) I was wondering what would happen to the cuffs and lower pockets -- the lower pockets in particular end only about an inch and a half above the hem. Thanks!

tl;dr: When you make something smaller, are the cuffs / pockets moved or does the hem just move closer to them?

You would fare better with this on the MC forum, but your hem will just move closer to your pockets...

14. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

Anyone with experience with Robert Geller knits, what's the sizing like? Is 48 a medium and 50 a large? I'm 6'1" 170 lbs and wear a medium in Gitman shirts. What size would I be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i just bought a geller jacket and it's a sz 46 which converts to a small so i imagine a 48 is a medium and a 50 a large.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

How do I measure the measurements for a peacoat? I want to post an interest check thread in the selling forum and want to post some accurate measurements.

Is the chest measured with the buttons buttoned? from pit-to-pit?

I'm assuming the sleeve length is from the hem on the top portion of the shoulder to the end of the sleeve.

And for the length of the jacket, is it from the top-most point on the collar to the bottom of the jacket?