Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

Hey all. I have to speak at a scholarship dinner in January and I'm trying to figure out what I should wear. Right now the plan is an OCBD in either blue or light red, a gray or heather cardigan and dark jeans. Does this sound alright? Or should I swap the jeans with some black or khaki trousers? Also, what footwear would be good?

Thanks!

2. StevieTopSiders

StevieTopSiders New Member

I want a pair of APC jeans. I currently have a pair of 7FAM and J. Crew. The 7 For All Mankind are bootcut (32) and the J. Crew are 484 Slim (33x32). I want a straight leg pair, but I am pretty slim, so I don't want them baggy on my frame. Would that be Petit Standard, New Standard, or some other fit? Also, should I get APC's "raw denim" jeans or the "supreme" Japanese selvedge ones?

Any help is appreciated!

3. max_r

max_r Senior member

I want a pair of APC jeans. I currently have a pair of 7FAM and J. Crew. The 7 For All Mankind are bootcut (32) and the J. Crew are 484 Slim (33x32). I want a straight leg pair, but I am pretty slim, so I don't want them baggy on my frame. Would that be Petit Standard, New Standard, or some other fit? Also, should I get APC's "raw denim" jeans or the "supreme" Japanese selvedge ones?

Any help is appreciated!

i dont know anything about how the jcrew or 7 jeans fit, but it sounds like new standards are probably what you're looking for, as they are pretty much a straight-leg cut with a slight taper at the end.

petit standards are very tapered, definitely not a straight leg. you can get a pretty good idea about how they look by google image searching 'apc petit standard' or 'apc new standard,' or just by looking through the WAYWT thread and APC thread for pictures. in (i think) all the pictures i've posted in WAYWT i'm wearing either new standards (older pictures) or petit standards (more recent pictures).

the 'rescue' is APC's straight leg jean, but if you're pretty slim like you say, they'll likely be baggy on you, best to stick to new standard, imo.

also, i'm fairly certain the supreme APC's are the same as regular raw APC's they just have that extra stitching on the back pocket. all APC raw denim is selvege. (though the selvege line isn't preserved on the new cure due to the cut, but its still the same denim as the other cuts)

4. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

Can anyone recommend me a pair of jeans that fit like skinny's from the knee up and slim straights from the knee down? I'm sick of 10"+ front rises, 14" pancake ass rear rises, and loose thighs/knees. That being said, I need a 7.5" leg opening minimum to fit over boots. Does such a thing exist?

5. StevieTopSiders

StevieTopSiders New Member

Thanks, max_r, for your help with the jeans! I'll probably go with New Standard in APC's "Raw Denim" (seeing as they only have the Supreme collab jeans in 25 waist. Seriously? I don't even wear FastSkins in that size).

Another question for sneaker people: how do New Balance 574's and 1500's relate in size? I wear a 12 in 574, and I wanna get the La MJC x colette 1500 sneakers that hopefully release in a couple weeks. I'm a 10.5 in the 1210 (or 1120... It's a cross-trainer), if the 1500's are more performance sized...

6. Magic1

Magic1 Senior member

I am thinking about getting a pair of daytons service boots. I am an 8D in Alden Trubalance/modified/barrie lasts, 8.5D in Alden Plaza/hampton/aberdeen. Any advice on sizing?

7. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Hey all. I have to speak at a scholarship dinner in January and I'm trying to figure out what I should wear. Right now the plan is an OCBD in either blue or light red, a gray or heather cardigan and dark jeans. Does this sound alright? Or should I swap the jeans with some black or khaki trousers? Also, what footwear would be good?

Thanks!

Depends on the setting. Are you the recipient? Are you going to wear a jacket? Charcoal or heather wool pants, either a white straight collar or light sky blue straight collar shirt if you are not going to wear a tie. Definitely no jeans. I would go with captoes or wingtips in either black or chestnut.

Can anyone recommend me a pair of jeans that fit like skinny's from the knee up and slim straights from the knee down? I'm sick of 10"+ front rises, 14" pancake ass rear rises, and loose thighs/knees. That being said, I need a 7.5" leg opening minimum to fit over boots. Does such a thing exist?

Diors and somets. Plenty out there.

8. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

Diors and somets. Plenty out there.
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I am thinking about getting a pair of daytons service boots. I am an 8D in Alden Trubalance/modified/barrie lasts, 8.5D in Alden Plaza/hampton/aberdeen. Any advice on sizing?
    Aren't they made to order/measure? Call/e-mail them and I'm sure they'll be able to help you with sizing

10. rapdancin

rapdancin Senior member

how feminine is a white/ off white wool scarf?

11. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

Depends on the setting. Are you the recipient? Are you going to wear a jacket? Charcoal or heather wool pants, either a white straight collar or light sky blue straight collar shirt if you are not going to wear a tie. Definitely no jeans. I would go with captoes or wingtips in either black or chestnut.
    I am a recipient. I talked to my dad and I guess it is a suit/tie kind of event [​IMG] Kind of disappointed, I wanted to steez all over that place (and use it as an excuse to buy some new jawnz), but mc steez just isn't my thing.

12. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

how feminine is a white/ off white wool scarf?

Depends on the texture, I would say.

I am a recipient. I talked to my dad and I guess it is a suit/tie kind of event [​IMG]

Kind of disappointed, I wanted to steez all over that place (and use it as an excuse to buy some new jawnz), but mc steez just isn't my thing.

Hmmm....... Awards in an academia setting is never a good place to "steez" all over the place. Each event has its own unsaid rules. You can still be fashion forward though.

13. lupin23rd

lupin23rd Well-Known Member

Having a buddy of mine from Japan bring me over some stuff while he visits home next week, and I've been eyeing this 45rpm shirt.

Trouble is I can't seem to decide on the color.

Was originally leaning towards brown and think it matches my complexion pretty well, but the grey was a fav or a friend of mine I showed it to. Also the grey would be much easier to match IMO (correct me if I'm wrong), especially considering my current wardrobe.

If I go with brown, what would you guys pair it up with (pants / shoes wise)?

14. steezin

steezin Senior member

Can someone please tell me how to change my username?

15. iroh

iroh Senior member

Are there any reasons to buy button down shirts from makers like BoO at outrageous prices (were they serious when they try to charge you $100+ for a mediocre shirt) when you can get a better MTM shirt at ModernTailor for a better price?