Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. fiasco

fiasco Senior member

2. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Does the "match belt to shoe" rule count in the case of sneakers? Does it depend on the type of sneaker? For instance, could black canvas/leather sneakers be paired with a dark brown casual belt?

3. bassmanpatsfan18

bassmanpatsfan18 Senior member

Anyone have any recommendations for a good, simple pair of brown chelsea boots? I like the shape of these fryes, but I'm not sure how much I dig the crepe sole. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any other suggestions?

4. DLester

DLester Senior member

Does the "match belt to shoe" rule count in the case of sneakers? Does it depend on the type of sneaker? For instance, could black canvas/leather sneakers be paired with a dark brown casual belt?
    I try not to have belt and sneakers clash but don't stridently follow any matching rule. You can't get obsessed over sneaker/belt matching. Are you going to wear a white belt with white sneakers? No. I don't think black sneakers and a brown belt would look good. I never tuck in my shirt if I am wearing sneakers so it hardly matters.

5. sfaith

sfaith Active Member

Folks,

What do you guys think of blazers with a different color trim, like the ones from Topman?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://lookbook.nu/files/looks/large...jpg?1274116660

IMHO, they are more fitted for smart casual or structured casual look (I think it's just two different terms, but they both are referring to similar style).

Are those trim blazers look feminine? IMO, that's a matter of perspective. But I see a lot of ladies wear blazers with contrast color trim so I just want to know what you guys think.

Another thing is, most of Topman blazers come only with one button and skinny fit. I am a skinny built, and only 165cm tall. Will a one button casual blazer look good at such short height? I know that last question is pretty much subjective again but usual rules of thumb is not to wear a one-button blazer unless you are tall, right?

-- Sam

6. Jakewasthe

Jakewasthe Member

What is the name of this fashion (For men, obviously, but this is the best representative of what I mean)?
    http://picfu.net/e398b6

I've googled "classy punk" "modern elegant punk style for men" "punk chic" "modern military layered punk style" but nothing seems to fit. The general forum told me to come here, so...

7. that_was_easy

that_was_easy Senior member

I'm looking to purchase some Mephisto's and need some sizing wisdom before I take the plunge. What have you learned about Mephisto sizing?

8. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Probably asked and answered a million times, but ...

How hot should the water be to hot soak jeans to shrink them, and how long should I leave the jeans in?
    Is it as simple as "hotter and longer = more shrink"?

ps: Did a search .. and just found about 40 threads of people telling the guy he should have done a search.

9. max_r

max_r Senior member

Probably asked and answered a million times, but ...

How hot should the water be to hot soak jeans to shrink them, and how long should I leave the jeans in?
    Is it as simple as "hotter and longer = more shrink"?

ps: Did a search .. and just found about 40 threads of people telling the guy he should have done a search.

on my 501 stf's i soaked them in the tub with the hotest water that came out of the tap. i've heard of people boiling water in a big pot and then sticking them in there as well.

and yeah, i think the hotter it is, the more you'll get shrinkage, especially in the inseam.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Need a quick opinion on my suit fit. I'm currently 150lbs but I'm moving up a weight class in jits so in two to three months I'm going to be 170-180lbs. I have a 38R jacket from H&M right now which I think is just a sly bit too big for me but I'm fairly sure I can fill it out. I am going to have to get the length and the arms taken in a bit, but I would also have to do that on a 36R. Do you think the jacket is too big to pass for a bit? or should I just bite the $70 + alterations for a jacket I might throw out in two months.

Front
    Back
    Side

11. ennui

ennui Senior member

how does stan smith adidas fit compared to clarks DB? if i wear a 9.5 in DB what would you reccomend for a pair of stan smiths?

I wear a 7.5 in Rod Lavers and a 7 in Clarks DBs. I know Rod Lavers are not Stan Smiths, but hopefully close enough.

12. rfpgh

rfpgh Active Member

I was thinking of buying some Uniqlo stuff by email or phone. Are all of their pants reliably pretty slim-fitting, or do I actually need to buy the $50 ones that are labeled "slim fit"? Also, are their shirts usually short enough to wear untucked (I'm 5'9")? Thanks in advance.

13. Rolfi

Rolfi Senior member

on my 501 stf's i soaked them in the tub with the hotest water that came out of the tap. i've heard of people boiling water in a big pot and then sticking them in there as well.

and yeah, i think the hotter it is, the more you'll get shrinkage, especially in the inseam.

nonono don't put your jeans in boiling hot water! you'll just fuck up your leather patch and it won't do more than using the hottest on tap you can get.

if you must then you can add a pot of boiling water to your tub but it won't really make a difference.
    if you want to get all the shrinkage out before you wear them, do multiple soaks (say 2 or 3)
    this will affect the stiffness of the jeans as all the starch will be taken out and your jeans will feel softer after a shorter wear time

14. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

Need a quick opinion on my suit fit. I'm currently 150lbs but I'm moving up a weight class in jits so in two to three months I'm going to be 170-180lbs. I have a 38R jacket from H&M right now which I think is just a sly bit too big for me but I'm fairly sure I can fill it out. I am going to have to get the length and the arms taken in a bit, but I would also have to do that on a 36R. Do you think the jacket is too big to pass for a bit? or should I just bite the $70 + alterations for a jacket I might throw out in two months. Front Back Side
    Right now looks too big in the shoulders, which can't really be fixed with alterations.

15. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

I was thinking of buying some Uniqlo stuff by email or phone. Are all of their pants reliably pretty slim-fitting, or do I actually need to buy the $50 ones that are labeled "slim fit"? Also, are their shirts usually short enough to wear untucked (I'm 5'9")? Thanks in advance.

I never tried on their jeans but their washed chinos aren't that slim. I got a pair sized 32x32 and the knee and hem of the pants are both like 8.5" and the thigh had some room to it.