• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Starting Strength 2.0

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Do that for a while.

Squats will be tough to get down right. Go youtube "Squat RX"

Perfect your form before you go heavy.

I second the recommendation for perfecting your form. Small errors in my form in any of the SS exercises makes the weight feel A LOT heavier. It's taken me about two months to get everything down correctly, although powercleans are still a mystery (i.e. i can't do them right).

Noir.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
Noir,

I'm working out 4 times a week but I'm not making the kind of progress that I want.

I had a personal trainer with whom I worked once or twice a week, but I feel that his program was better suited to someone in his twenties or thirties and I'm in my late 40s; the trainer was a great guy in his early 20s, and our workouts exclusively consisted of resistance training. Also, he couldn't provide me with a program to implement on my own - according to the club, the trainers' programs are corporate intellectual property.

My goal is to reduce my waistline a bit while increasing upper body strength - I don't have any illusions, but I'd like to make a noticable improvement. Otherwise, I am in good shape (or my internist says so). Right now I do about a 1-3/4 hours on the eliptical machine/week with 2-1/4 hours of various types of resistance training (bicep curls, back extensions, leg lifts, crunches, etc.).

Are there any books or online resources where I could tailor a suitable routine? I'm not sure that I want to go down the training route again because I feel that I didn't get a lot of "bang for my buck".

LD

Sorry to hear about the bad luck with a trainer. There are a lot of really great ones out there, and a lot more really awful ones.

IMO it's bullshit he couldn't recommend a program to do on your own. What I typically did is work with someone once or twice per week and design a program for them to do on their own to supplement it. While working out I typically talk diet in addition to shooting the breeze. I figure if someone is spending their hard earned money to hire me, they should have everything I have to offer when I'm "on the clock" so to speak. Sorry, rant over.

How is your current routine broken up? What I mean by that is, how exactly is your routine broken up, and when do you do your cardio. Is there anything specific you want to work on (more specific than what was mentioned0, and are there any injuries to be wary of? I can't think of any resources offhand, but if you'll post up a rough diet & current routines w/ timings I'd be happy to try and tweak it if possible. Be careful with the intern ;-)

Originally Posted by Spaz
basically i want to lean and tone up and adding some mass on and trying to keep some body fat off

So does everyone else. Do some research and if you have any specific questions I'll try and help out.

Originally Posted by william
I second the recommendation for perfecting your form. Small errors in my form in any of the SS exercises makes the weight feel A LOT heavier. It's taken me about two months to get everything down correctly, although powercleans are still a mystery (i.e. i can't do them right).

SS is good for people trying to get a base strength up and develop form on some of the more complex lifts. I don't think it's the be-all, end-all though.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
what's the best way to get this cut?
1037129.jpg

Noir.

Reaction score
dyazide. christian bale's machinist + dyazide maybe. photoshop? please god say yes.

ProLogic

Reaction score
OP, how did you force yourself to eat a lot and how many calories were you taking in on your bulk?

Noir.

Reaction score
painfully. i was just sick and tired of being *that* skinny. It wasn't 100% clean either. Add in some shakes and good game.

Sancho Panzo Christ

Reaction score
Hey Noir., thanks for all the information you've supplied here. I'm currently plateauing a bit in my endeavor to lose weight. I currently jog everyday, for about 30-45 minutes, at a decent pace. My question is: do you think i'd benefit from switching over to HIIT every other day? what's the best routine for me to start with in this? Any info you can give me on this is appreciated.

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i want to setup my own little mini gym inside my bedroom. atm i have a ez curl bar and some dumb bells and a tread mill. the amount of weights i have is 40lbs not including the bars (yeah, i know its weak). what are some essential equipment i should buy to do a wide variety of exercises? I'm more interested in having lean/model type build then a bulky bodybuilder physique. i was thinking of ditching the treadmill, buying a stationary cycle, a chin up bar, and a bench with a leg attachment. any exercise guides that would accommodate that?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i want to setup my own little mini gym inside my bedroom. atm i have a ez curl bar and some dumb bells and a tread mill. the amount of weights i have is 40lbs not including the bars (yeah, i know its weak). what are some essential equipment i should buy to do a wide variety of exercises? I'm more interested in having lean/model type build then a bulky bodybuilder physique. i was thinking of ditching the treadmill, buying a stationary cycle, a chin up bar, and a bench with a leg attachment. any exercise guides that would accommodate that?

All you need for the excellent P90X program - Push Up Bars, Dumb Bells and Pullup Bar

Last edited:

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how did you feel upon learning about the passing of Zyzz?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've developed a pretty good cutting diet/workout program that involves a 500 kCal deficit and lifting 3 times a week followed by cardio. I never manage to really cut down much as I end up blowing it on the weekends by drinking a lot and eating bad foods.

Is it possible to destroy all of your weekly progress by one night of binging? Because I didn't think that was humanly possible (let's say my weight goes down by 5 lb, that'd mean I'd have to eat 3500*5 = 17500 kCals to gain that weight - and even if I did that all doesn't get processed if you're eating that much in one sitting), the only thing I can think it might be is fluctuations in water weight. Is there some way for me to test the amount of water weight I have? Water retention could be due to the creatine, so I've thought about cutting that out for a week to see how it fluctuates, but it also could be due to my sodium intake which I need to measure. I pound water all day long, though.

Finally, the scale does nothing for me, as I'm gaining muscle while losing fat due to being a beginning lifter. Is there any way for me to measure body fat besides the scale and calipers (as calipers are basically useless due to their inaccuracy)? I'd like to do so on a weekly/biweekly basis and don't want to have to go somewhere and pay a bunch of money for something that is just for recordkeeping. Any alternative suggestions besides just looking in the mirror?

Also, what do you do for skin care?

UPDATE: I've decided to cut out drinking indefinitely and completely cut out fast food, eating out, soda (including diet) and caffeine. I'm only drinking water and decaf green tea from now on. I'm cutting out my cardio actually and want to increase my time spent lifting. I'm currently doing Starting Strength as I said above but want to expand it out because I feel like I could make so much more progress by lifting more than just bare bones SS crap. I was actually thinking of going up to some hardcore program like the one posted in that Zyzz article linked above. What are your opinions on this, should I just stick to SS but add more workouts or go for a more regimented approach (figured since I'm already doing the 'standard 6' you'd help me out). My goals are to cut down on this fat but at the same time I think I could gain muscle due to the fact that I'm a beginner and I'm planning on doing this through a combination of lifting and diet.

LAST EDIT: If my goal is to cut bodyfat and build muscle should I focus on cutting and then bulking or do a slow cut/bulk at the same time? What should I eat for calories?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads