• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
I get a box of frozen chicken breast at Costco and throw 3 small pieces in the oven at lunch (and reheat what I don't eat at lunch for dinner). I'm going to be honest when I say the chicken tastes kind of gross (especially considering it's unseasoned AND I'm eating it with raw spinach), but it's the most cost effective way of doing it. If you have fresh chicken, however, there's nothing wrong with pan-frying it and throwing some Mrs. Dash seasoning on top (it has no salt).

Monday - Wednesday, I consume about 1,700 calories, and Thursday - Saturday I consume around 3,000 - 3,500. Sunday is a wildcard because I'm usually hung over.

i use the same chicken but ive actually found it easier to eat by just thawing it in warm water for 20 min or so, cut it into strips then pan fry it with just a few drops of olive oil to keep it from sticking. it stays really juicy this way instead of drying out. then i just eat it with wing sauce, which is not too healthy, but i use really hot sauce so i end up using less than half a tbsp for 2 chicken breasts, so the fat/salt/etc is pretty negligible.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
^^ cause it seems like that would just be ignoring the issue (not working on the sticking point of the lift).

The sticking point won't change. The muscles have the weakest tension potential at that point. If your lifts stall it's usually an issue of fatigue more than anything. Changing exercises dissipates fatigue (or sometimes exacerbates it) so if fatigue is well-managed it's easy to avoid plateaus. Switching is the shotgun method of training and isn't necessary for people that know what they're doing in the first place.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
i use the same chicken but ive actually found it easier to eat by just thawing it in warm water for 20 min or so, cut it into strips then pan fry it with just a few drops of olive oil to keep it from sticking. it stays really juicy this way instead of drying out. then i just eat it with wing sauce, which is not too healthy, but i use really hot sauce so i end up using less than half a tbsp for 2 chicken breasts, so the fat/salt/etc is pretty negligible.

I'm going to give that a try. But I doubt it's going to change anything. After eating 3 pieces of chicken a day for the past 4 months, I've grown a hatred towards poultry and I doubt I will ever reclaim my love for the bird.

I also use buffalo wing sauce on everything - eggs, chicken, etc.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
The sticking point won't change. The muscles have the weakest tension potential at that point. If your lifts stall it's usually an issue of fatigue more than anything. Changing exercises dissipates fatigue (or sometimes exacerbates it) so if fatigue is well-managed it's easy to avoid plateaus. Switching is the shotgun method of training and isn't necessary for people that know what they're doing in the first place.

Noted. How do I figure out how long I should rest? Just how I feel?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone hadn't heard this before (grain of salt it):

"Capsaicin is a thermogenic agent, which means it increases metabolic activity. This, in turn, helps to burn calories and fat. Many popular "fat-burning" supplements on the market contain capsaicin, as the substance may significantly increase metabolic activity for over 20 minutes after it's eaten."

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/0...rs_hot_004.htm

turbozed

Reaction score
I'm going to give that a try. But I doubt it's going to change anything. After eating 3 pieces of chicken a day for the past 4 months, I've grown a hatred towards poultry and I doubt I will ever reclaim my love for the bird.

I also use buffalo wing sauce on everything - eggs, chicken, etc.

Switch to chicken thighs. Cheaper and more flavorful.

Every time I eat chicken breast, I get sick of eating it halfway through.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Switch to chicken thighs. Cheaper and more flavorful.

Every time I eat chicken breast, I get sick of eating it halfway through.

I can't. I bought boneless thighs by accident once and proceeded to cook them and eat them like a chicken breast. Needless to say, I almost vomited and since then I've never touched a chicken thigh.

I literally gag on the Costco chicken though. I can't explain how bad they taste. It's brutal.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
If anyone hadn't heard this before (grain of salt it):

"Capsaicin is a thermogenic agent, which means it increases metabolic activity. This, in turn, helps to burn calories and fat. Many popular "fat-burning" supplements on the market contain capsaicin, as the substance may significantly increase metabolic activity for over 20 minutes after it's eaten."

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/0...rs_hot_004.htm

I also recall seeing that it prevents prostate cancer but you have to eat like a thousand jalapenos a day or something.

turbozed

Reaction score
I can't. I bought boneless thighs by accident once and proceeded to cook them and eat them like a chicken breast. Needless to say, I almost vomited and since then I've never touched a chicken thigh.

I literally gag on the Costco chicken though. I can't explain how bad they taste. It's brutal.

They take a lot longer to cook since there's a bit more fat content (and irregular shape). Get the boneless ones and cut them into cubes. For me, they tastes 100x better (and are half the price).

Then again, I could be just more of a thigh man than a breast man.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well what makes chicken breasts so unpalatable is the lack of fat. Breasts without fat, imagine that! None of that juicy softness to play with or lick around in your mouth. Damn!

JonB27

Reaction score
Here is the workout I've been doing lately, if you would cahnge anything around/ advice let me know Noir:

Day 1:
Bench press- 5x8-10
Dips- 4x as many as I can get
Incline DB press- 3x8-10
Skull crushers- 4x8-10
Rope pull downs- 3x10

Day 2:
Squats- 5x8-10
Deadlifts- 4x8-10
Leg extensions- 3x10
Lunges- 3 sets
Lower back- 3 sets
abs

Day 3:
Military Press- 4x8-10
DB press- 3x8-10
Lateral raises- 3x10
Reverse pec deck- 3x10
Close grip bench- 3x10

Day 5:
Pull ups- 4x as many as I can get
Pull downs- 4x8-10
Cable rows- 3x8-10
T-bar- 3x8-10
Barbell curls- 4x8-10
Hammer curls- 4x8-10

* I am now running 2 days a week also.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ day two looks fun. Or a good way to lose your lunch.

unexpected

Reaction score
jonb27, I think you have way too much volume, but hopefully it's working for you and you're seeing gains. I hope you're eating like a horse.

bradsmitty

Reaction score
Guys,

I was hoping you could help me with a diet related question. I recently got the carb cycling codex from noir. It says that I need to be taking in 211 grams of fat/day. This will be split between my 3 protein+fat meals (70g fat/meal).

What do you all recommend as sources of good fat for these meals? It looks like almonds are a good source of both fat and protein, but they also seem to have a lot of carbs. Are the carbs in almonds the ones that "don't matter" (like green vegetables), or should I be avoiding them at my protein+fat meals?

Thanks,
Brad

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
olive oil, avocado, nuts in large amounts

subtract the fiber grams from the carbs you eat for the real # of countable carbs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics